CycleBanter.com

-   -   Police catch bike thieves with GPS enabled bait (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=193966)

Woland99 September 10th 08 12:39 PM

Police catch bike thieves with GPS enabled bait

This one was posted on Austin's craigslist -
I thought it may be worthy reposting he
http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/834823466.html
http://badgerherald.com/news/2008/09...t_bait_cat.php

[email protected] September 10th 08 01:24 PM

On Sep 10, 7:39*am, Woland99 wrote:
This one was posted on Austin's craigslist -
I thought it may be worthy reposting hehttp://austin.craigslist.org/bik/834...t_bait_cat.php

Why is stealing a bike only a $406 citation? WTF?

RicodJour September 10th 08 03:09 PM

On Sep 10, 8:24*am, " wrote:
On Sep 10, 7:39*am, Woland99 wrote:

This one was posted on Austin's craigslist -
I thought it may be worthy reposting hehttp://austin.craigslist.org/bik/834...adgerherald.co...

Why is stealing a bike only a $406 citation? *WTF?

Particularly since the type of bikes the thieves target are of higher
value than your typical beater.

Eric Vey September 10th 08 06:27 PM

RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 10, 8:24 am, " wrote:
On Sep 10, 7:39 am, Woland99 wrote:

This one was posted on Austin's craigslist -
I thought it may be worthy reposting hehttp://austin.craigslist.org/bik/834...adgerherald.co...

Why is stealing a bike only a $406 citation? WTF?

Particularly since the type of bikes the thieves target are of higher
value than your typical beater.

You want to "ruin" a young person's life because they stole a toy?

Woland99 September 10th 08 06:36 PM

On Sep 10, 12:27 pm, Eric Vey wrote:

You want to "ruin" a young person's life because they stole a toy?

Yes. Very much so. I may be a "liberal" but I when it comes
to bicycle thieves I will say "hang'em high!". Unless of course
they stole a bike to feed a hungry, crying infant. Which simply
does not happen.

RicodJour September 10th 08 07:50 PM

On Sep 10, 1:27*pm, Eric Vey wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 10, 8:24 am, " wrote:
On Sep 10, 7:39 am, Woland99 wrote:

This one was posted on Austin's craigslist -
I thought it may be worthy reposting hehttp://austin.craigslist.org/bik/834...adgerherald.co...

Why is stealing a bike only a $406 citation? *WTF?

Particularly since the type of bikes the thieves target are of higher
value than your typical beater.

You want to "ruin" a young person's life because they stole a toy?

Heaven forfend. I'm old school. If I caught the absconding tyke, I'd
ruin their kneecap.

[email protected] September 10th 08 09:47 PM

RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 10, 8:24 am, " wrote:
On Sep 10, 7:39 am, Woland99 wrote:

This one was posted on Austin's craigslist -
I thought it may be worthy reposting hehttp://austin.craigslist.org/bik/834...adgerherald.co...
Why is stealing a bike only a $406 citation? WTF?

Particularly since the type of bikes the thieves target are of higher
value than your typical beater.

You want to "ruin" a young person's life because they stole a toy?

YOU are definitely part of the problem NOT part of the solution.

Lewis.

*****

(PeteCresswell) September 10th 08 10:05 PM

Police catch bike thieves with GPS enabled bait

Per Woland99:
This one was posted on Austin's craigslist -
I thought it may be worthy reposting he
http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/834823466.html
http://badgerherald.com/news/2008/09...t_bait_cat.php

Great story.

I wonder if they could put out more expensive bikes in hopes of
burning the thieves for felony theft instead of a misdemeanor or
whatever it is that they're fining them $406.50 for.

Can anybody point to a specific device that they might be using?
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) September 10th 08 11:44 PM

Police catch bike thieves with GPS enabled bait

Per Eric Vey:
You want to "ruin" a young person's life because they stole a toy?

Nah, I'd settle for the amputation of one joint of one finger on
the non-dominant hand. Without anesthesia - just to make sure
the point gets made.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) September 10th 08 11:45 PM

Police catch bike thieves with GPS enabled bait

Per :
You want to "ruin" a young person's life because they stole a toy?

YOU are definitely part of the problem NOT part of the solution.

I took it as tongue-in-cheek. Maybe I was wrong.
--
PeteCresswell