CycleBanter.com

-   Recumbent Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Senior Olympics (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=26310)

gcdoss July 23rd 04 03:25 AM

Senior Olympics

Hi All,
I entered the local senior Olympics and did my first training ride this
morning. I ran out of steam after 3 miles as I was pushing it pretty
hard.I'm entered in the 10K race on Aug. 7, so need to energize quick.
Problem is: I've been on a low carb diet for the last 14 months. I lost
70 lbs during the first 10 months and am just trying to hold the weight
I have now.
I have been eating about 85 carb grams a day but today proved I was
doing something wrong.
Do some of you that do a little racing have any advice on what can
energize a 70 year old guy for about 30 minutes? I don't want to start
gaining weight again so a real high carb diet is out of the question. I
did try an energy candy bar but got no help.
I am in fair shape as I ride my Tour Easy about 150 miles a week and do
another 30 or so on a mtn bike.
It's the fast push that drains me so I need to build up a reserve of
energy by race day.
I do have a wager on myself with an old friend that's just 67 years old
riding a road bike.
Hope to get some help.

Jerry

Dave Lehnen July 23rd 04 11:15 PM

Senior Olympics

gcdoss wrote:

[...]

If you haven't already done so, make sure the Senior Olympics people
will allow recumbents. They might not; I think here in Arizona they
use the USCF rules, which would prohibit bents under current rules.

Good luck. Sorry I can't really help on the nutrition question.

Dave Lehnen

gcdoss July 24th 04 01:56 AM

Senior Olympics

Dave Lehnen wrote:
gcdoss wrote:

[...]

Here in Prescott, recumbents are allowed. They just don't have a
separate category and are lumped in with all other type bikes.
Guess we aren't very official but there are a lot of bikers involved
this year.
On nutrition,LBS guy told me today that he carbs up the night before
with a lot of pasta. Then on race day eats a lite breakfast and has a
high carb bar 30 minutes before race and another just before he starts.
Also drinks lots of extra water the night before and during race.
I'm trying his advice and carbing up tonight and will do a serious
practice run tomorrow morning.

Jerry 'carbing up' Doss

Trailgalore July 24th 04 01:57 AM

Senior Olympics

"gcdoss" wrote in message
[...]

Are you allowed to race your Tour Easy? Bikes used in the Senior Olympics
are supposed to conform to USAC specs.

gcdoss July 24th 04 02:57 AM

Senior Olympics

Trailgalore wrote:

"gcdoss" wrote in message

[...]

It may be that the lady who signed me up wasn't up on recumbents being
allowed or not. She told me they were but I was the only one entered. I
may get to the race site and be bumped by a real official.
Guess I will try to contact an official before race day to make sure I
can race the Tour Easy.

Trailgalore July 24th 04 11:52 PM

Senior Olympics

"gcdoss" wrote in message
Dave Lehnen wrote:
gcdoss wrote:

[...]

Da rule book states:
SPORT RULES All cycling events will be conducted in accordance with U.S.
Cycling Federation (USCF) rules, except as modified herein. For a copy of
these rules, please write or call:Multi-gear (free wheel) bikes with front
and rear brakes are required. Fixed gear and recumbent bicycles are not
permitted. All bicycles must be certified by race officials prior to the
competition.

Child July 26th 04 11:08 PM

Senior Olympics

"gcdoss" wrote in message
[...]

Hey Jerry,
I lost about 60 pounds low carbing and found that with distance or
performance cycling I needed to do some carbing up in order to perform well.

My guiding light in this arena is usually to be found on the weightlifting
newsgroup (although I haven't been there in at least a year, so who knows
where he is now). This article is likely to be helpful, but its geared
towards weight training - read it anyway, the concepts are the same.
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...genic-diet.htm

If I were going to train for a short race like a 10K, I would be doing
intervals. In my experience there is no faster way to improve your cardio
fitness than intervals.

Edward Dolan July 27th 04 12:15 AM

Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

"gcdoss" wrote in message
[...]

If you were 60 pounds overweight, you should not be doing any running or
cycling at all. You should be in a hospital getting a stomach by-pass.
Frankly, I do not know how anyone in this world gets to be 60 pounds
overweight! You must have to really work at it. How are you able to do it
other than eating like a pig and never moving a muscle. We here on ARBR need
to know this so we can gauge your level of intelligence.

And please, do not insult us with your prescriptions for physical training.

--
Ye Old Insult Maven

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Child July 27th 04 12:27 AM

Senior Olympics

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Child" wrote in message

"gcdoss" wrote in message
[...]

How would an overweight person lose weight if not to exercise? Silly,
troll, please try again!

And please, do not insult us with your prescriptions for physical

training.

Since I went from 60 pounds overweight, to teaching fitness classes, who
better?

Edward Dolan July 27th 04 06:21 AM

Senior Olympics

[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

If you were 60 pounds overweight, you should not be doing any running or
cycling at all. You should be in a hospital getting a stomach by-pass.
Frankly, I do not know how anyone in this world gets to be 60 pounds
overweight! You must have to really work at it. How are you able to do

it
other than eating like a pig and never moving a muscle. We here on ARBR

need
to know this so we can gauge your level of intelligence.

How would an overweight person lose weight if not to exercise? Silly,
troll, please try again!

So then, you did eat like a pig and never moved a muscle in order to gain
those extra 60 pounds? But we here on ARBR would like to know your mind set
while you were doing this.

The fact is that all Americans are at least about 20 pounds over weight. I
think we must be the fattest people on earth. I think the reason for it is
that food is plentiful and cheap and we have machines to do all our physical
work for us.

When I was a kid looking at TV there were no remotes and I was constantly
jumping up and down changing the channels. Now that I have a remote the only
thing that ever gets any exercise are my fingers. As is well known, you must
exercise the large muscles of the body (like the leg muscles). Exercising
the small muscles of the body (like the fingers) will do absolutely nothing
for your weight and/or physical fitness. Thus spake Zarathustra!

And please, do not insult us with your prescriptions for physical

training.

Since I went from 60 pounds overweight, to teaching fitness classes, who
better?

Agreed!

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Mark Leuck July 27th 04 07:28 AM

Senior Olympics

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

So then, you did eat like a pig and never moved a muscle in order to gain
those extra 60 pounds? But we here on ARBR would like to know your mind

set
while you were doing this.

Ed I doubt you will be satisfied with this answer (nor do I really care) so
this is not directed to you but to others who might be where I was then

2 years ago I was 260 pounds and yes I ate like a pig and never moved a
muscle for most of the previous decade, the mind set is simple in that it
was much easier to do nothing than something. I sat on my ass at work and
sat on my ass at home on the computer, do that long enough and you too will
be up there (if you aren't already). I saw the extra weight and figured it
was all part of the age process (I was 42 then) and that is just the way it
went and the fact I didn't own a scale and therefore never realized (or
really cared) just how bad off I was. I would walk the halls at work and be
out of breath. Order a pizza and have it half devoured by the time I got
home, burgers fries etc, its a lifestyle that was very easy to get into....

While visiting my brother in Denver mid June 2002 I stopped by one of those
GNC stores which had a scale where you inserted 50 cents and it gave you a
slip of paper with your weight and what your optimum weight should be. The
paper said I weighed 259 pounds and was 89 pounds overweight, this was what
finally shocked me enough to do something about it. (I still have the
paper...framed)

Problem was I was too lazy to jog, tried rollerblades (couldn't figure out
how to stop), walking was boring and I knew I'd never consistantly go to a
health spa so biking was the only alternative. I'd tried that 5 years before
and got a cheap mountain bike that lasted about 2 weeks however this time
(in Denver) I noticed a guy riding a wierd looking bike (turned out to be a
Vision R42) up the Rocky Mountains (yes THE Rocky Mountains) and it looked
kinda neat and I figured my fat ass could handle that seat instead of a
standard bike seat, went on the net and looked up recumbent bikes and liked
what I saw with Vision the best (looked better than the others). Turned out
the local shop had an R50 that I could afford but even then I had to think
about it a while until I told myself if I didn't buy it I'd be dead in
another 5 years at the rate I was going (My guess is if I hadn't purchased
that I'd now easily be 300 pounds +)

Ended up doing 2200 miles on the Vision and lost 50 pounds, bought the
Optima Baron July 2003 and so far have lost another 30 and looking to lose
another 10 or 15 (65-170). This year I've done 3 centuries (on the Baron)
and just turned over 4,000 miles, this past weekend I rode 40 miles on
Saturday and 35 miles Sunday at 20+ mph average (21.5 Sat and 20.5 Sun), I
ride between 25 and 30 miles almost every day and blow the doors off of 99%
of the bikers in my area (its my current kick), my goal now is to ride from
Dallas Tx to Hot Springs Arkansas and back (700+ miles) and I have all the
confidence in the world I can and will be able to do it, these days I love
it when I get home with sore legs and I feel guilty if a good day goes by
without my riding, buying the bike transformed more than just my body

This message contained run-on sentences, improper punctuation, no periods at
the end and way too many commas but to be honest I could care less nor do I
really care what your response will be however I also hope you never get to
where I was back then, its not a fun place to be although its been damn fun
getting away

Edward Dolan July 27th 04 08:39 AM

Senior Olympics

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

[...]

Mark, what you have just written is the best damn post that is on-topic that
I have ever read here! And I know it rings of a truth that bedevils all of
us. You are right. I have got to get off my dead ass and get moving again. I
am starting to worry about congestive heart failure from lack of activity
and I too have gained weight for the first time in my life. I simply can't
believe it. I was a string bean all of my life and now I am starting to look
like a lima bean.

I see you are a night owl like I am. Maybe if we normalize our sleep that
might help us too. Sometimes I am up all night and I am asleep all day. This
interferes enormously with getting out on the bike.

Many thanks for the great post.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Child July 27th 04 05:58 PM

Senior Olympics

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

If you were 60 pounds overweight, you should not be doing any running

or
cycling at all. You should be in a hospital getting a stomach by-pass.
Frankly, I do not know how anyone in this world gets to be 60 pounds
overweight! You must have to really work at it. How are you able to do

it
other than eating like a pig and never moving a muscle. We here on

ARBR
need
to know this so we can gauge your level of intelligence.

How would an overweight person lose weight if not to exercise? Silly,
troll, please try again!

So then, you did eat like a pig and never moved a muscle in order to gain
those extra 60 pounds? But we here on ARBR would like to know your mind

set
while you were doing this.

My struggle with my weight has been a lifelong project.
I lost a great deal of weight by starving (literally- eating disorder) and
working out excessively in 1996. I managed to overcome the starving thing
and keep my weight relatively normal until quitting smoking in 1998, when I
decided that I would do whatever I needed to do to keep smoke free, which
meant eating lots of sugary things. Sugary things are the death of me. I
gained 60 pounds in a YEAR. I was active the entire time, and my starting
weight was probably lower than my normal weight but still.... 2 years after
quitting smoking I gave up my trigger foods - pasta, rice and sugar and
starting lifting weights. The weight came off slowly but its mostly still
off, but I do fluctuate up and down about 15 pounds, depending on my
committment to eating well. The committment to activity and exercise will be
forever- I feel so much better beings stronger and more active.

The fact is that all Americans are at least about 20 pounds over weight. I
think we must be the fattest people on earth. I think the reason for it is
that food is plentiful and cheap and we have machines to do all our

physical
work for us.

We are pretty overweight, yes. I personally think its because we eat all
kinds of processed crap instead of real food, and because we fill empty
holes in our lives by filling our mouths.

When I was a kid looking at TV there were no remotes and I was constantly
jumping up and down changing the channels. Now that I have a remote the

only
thing that ever gets any exercise are my fingers. As is well known, you

must
exercise the large muscles of the body (like the leg muscles). Exercising
the small muscles of the body (like the fingers) will do absolutely

nothing
for your weight and/or physical fitness. Thus spake Zarathustra!

LOL! My weight training philosophy is similar - why work out your hamstrings
on a nautilus machine when you can work out the glutes, hams and quads in
one BIG move?

Tom Sherman July 28th 04 04:36 AM

Senior Olympics

Child wrote:

I lost about 60 pounds...

Landscape to portrait. ;) [Ducks in case someone remembers my smart ass
comment from about 4 years ago.]

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Child July 28th 04 06:20 AM

Senior Olympics

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Child wrote:

I lost about 60 pounds...

Landscape to portrait. ;) [Ducks in case someone remembers my smart ass
comment from about 4 years ago.]

LOL, I remember. Its Cletus who forgets!

Tom Sherman July 31st 04 04:14 AM

Senior Olympics

Edward Dolan wrote:

The bottom line though is that most people do not have time for anything
much anymore. It always amazes me that with all the time saving gadgets we
have invented for ourselves over the past couple of generations, we seem to
have even less time than our did our ancestors.

Real wages for all but top executives in the US have been falling for
the last three decades - see the connection between that and less free time?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Tom Sherman July 31st 04 04:16 AM

Senior Olympics

Child wrote:

Running is really hard on the joints, and for someone who is substantially
overweight, its really pretty uncomfortable. Imagine running with a fifty
pound bag of potatoes tied to your torso....

That is why the dog scooter was invented.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Tom Sherman July 31st 04 04:34 AM

Senior Olympics

Edward Dolan wrote:

Good Grief Tom! You have been on this newsgroup 4 years? You must be one of
the oldest of the old-timers. Does Beth go back that far too?

It will be 5 years in October.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Child August 2nd 04 10:39 PM

Senior Olympics

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Nope! I only care what I think and I have already been fully informed on
innumerable occasions what others think of me. But they have not yet heard
what I think of them (calling names does not count - that is just fun and
games).

And they probably could give a flying ****.

By the way, Usenet, as it is being played out here on ARBR, is really

quite
a cozy little group. All we are doing is just passing emails back and

forth
which others can get in on. No one here is anonymous - and I have never

met
anyone in my life who didn't care what someone else might think of him.

I certainly care professionally what people think of me, but I could care
less what you think of me.

Child August 2nd 04 10:39 PM

Senior Olympics

Child wrote:

Running is really hard on the joints, and for someone who is

substantially
overweight, its really pretty uncomfortable. Imagine running with a

fifty
pound bag of potatoes tied to your torso....

That is why the dog scooter was invented.

LOL, my boys prefer a sled these days, but they scooter on occasion.

Edward Dolan August 2nd 04 11:53 PM

Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Nope! I only care what I think and I have already been fully informed on
innumerable occasions what others think of me. But they have not yet

heard
what I think of them (calling names does not count - that is just fun

and
games).

And they probably could give a flying ****.

But I will have the satisfaction of telling them what I think of them,
including you too. And I know everyone will read what I have to say about
them, including you too.

By the way, it is one thing for men to use rough language, but women really
should not enter into this particular arena. You do not want us to think you
are a slut and a whore do you?

By the way, Usenet, as it is being played out here on ARBR, is really

quite
a cozy little group. All we are doing is just passing emails back and

forth
which others can get in on. No one here is anonymous - and I have never

met
anyone in my life who didn't care what someone else might think of him.

I certainly care professionally what people think of me, but I could care
less what you think of me.

So says Beth of Anchorage, Alaska, but I think she does protest too much!

If you write professionally like you do to this newsgroup, I can already
tell you what others think of you. But it is never much fun to be judged and
found wanting. I don't blame you for being concerned about your standing
both professionally and on this newsgroup.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Child August 3rd 04 05:41 PM

Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Nope! I only care what I think and I have already been fully informed

on
innumerable occasions what others think of me. But they have not yet

heard
what I think of them (calling names does not count - that is just fun

and
games).

And they probably could give a flying ****.

But I will have the satisfaction of telling them what I think of them,
including you too. And I know everyone will read what I have to say about
them, including you too.

You have fun!

By the way, it is one thing for men to use rough language, but women

really
should not enter into this particular arena. You do not want us to think

you
are a slut and a whore do you?

I think you might be a tad confused. A whore ****s for money, a slut just
****s around and I just say ****. Nothing whorish or slutty about it.
Crude and uncouth certainly. But its crude and uncouth when men do it as
well.

[...]

Certainly, my professional writing is different than usenet writing. Doh!

Edward Dolan August 3rd 04 08:56 PM

Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[,,,]
By the way, it is one thing for men to use rough language, but women

really
should not enter into this particular arena. You do not want us to think

you
are a slut and a whore do you?

I think you might be a tad confused. A whore ****s for money, a slut just
****s around and I just say ****. Nothing whorish or slutty about it.
Crude and uncouth certainly. But its crude and uncouth when men do it as
well.

No, we men can get away with murder because that is the kind of slobs we
are. We are to the manner born. But for a woman to do it is many steps down
the ladder of evolution. You do not ever want to play at these kind of games
with men. You will lose every time because with you it is nothing but an
affectation whereas with us men it comes naturally. Trust me on this. You
are going to make a god-awful fool of yourself if you persist in your
nonsense.

The fact is that you are what you say. Language counts - whether it is
written or spoken. I am really surprised you do not know this. Did you skip
kindergarten?
[...]

If you write professionally like you do to this newsgroup, I can already
tell you what others think of you. But it is never much fun to be judged

and
found wanting. I don't blame you for being concerned about your standing
both professionally and on this newsgroup.

Certainly, my professional writing is different than usenet writing. Doh!

Prove it! Frankly, I doubt it. I don't think you know how to write well.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Child August 3rd 04 09:22 PM

Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

[...]

No, you are nothing more than a sexist, believing men are naturally coarse
and crude and women are sweetness and light. Neither generalization is true,
nor fair to either gender.

The fact is that you are what you say. Language counts - whether it is
written or spoken. I am really surprised you do not know this. Did you

skip
kindergarten?

You are what you say.

I am much more than a bunch of words. Actions speak louder, and all that
jazz.

If you write professionally like you do to this newsgroup, I can

already
tell you what others think of you. But it is never much fun to be

judged
and
found wanting. I don't blame you for being concerned about your

standing
both professionally and on this newsgroup.

Certainly, my professional writing is different than usenet writing.

Doh!

Prove it! Frankly, I doubt it. I don't think you know how to write well.

LOL, I don't need to prove anything to you, Eddie.

Edward Dolan August 3rd 04 10:07 PM

Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

[...]

Obviously, you have not spent 60 years reading newspapers like I have.

The fact is that you are what you say. Language counts - whether it is
written or spoken. I am really surprised you do not know this. Did you

skip
kindergarten?

You are what you say.

I am much more than a bunch of words. Actions speak louder, and all that
jazz.

Not really! Man is THE creature of the word. No other animal has words.
Speaking and writing words is also an action. Your contempt for words marks
you as an ignoramus of the first rank.

Do you not recall what I said about the Jews being the people of the Book.
There is nothing in that Book except words. Without the Book, the Jews would
most likely not even exist today. They would have gone extinct long ago with
all those other ancient peoples.

If you write professionally like you do to this newsgroup, I can

already
tell you what others think of you. But it is never much fun to be

judged
and
found wanting. I don't blame you for being concerned about your

standing
both professionally and on this newsgroup.

Certainly, my professional writing is different than usenet writing.

Doh!

Prove it! Frankly, I doubt it. I don't think you know how to write well.

LOL, I don't need to prove anything to you, Eddie.

You say you write differently professionally than you do on this newsgroup.
I say I do not believe you because I think you are incapable of it. Do you
really think I give a damn whether you prove it to me or not? But there are
many others reading these messages. You might want to consider where you
stand with them right about now.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Child August 4th 04 01:09 AM

Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message
No, you are nothing more than a sexist, believing men are naturally

coarse
and crude and women are sweetness and light. Neither generalization is

true,
nor fair to either gender.

Obviously, you have not spent 60 years reading newspapers like I have.

only 25 years.

Not really! Man is THE creature of the word. No other animal has words.
Speaking and writing words is also an action. Your contempt for words

marks
you as an ignoramus of the first rank.

Do you not recall what I said about the Jews being the people of the Book.
There is nothing in that Book except words. Without the Book, the Jews

would
most likely not even exist today. They would have gone extinct long ago

with
all those other ancient peoples.

LOL, you don't understand jews at all. Its not the WORDS, its the IDEAS.
Being able to express ideas and debate ideas is key - whether you can write
"properly" isn't. Its all about verbal debate, not about the written word.
We jews love to argue. Thus, my love of debating you and others on usenet.
And I do so in a conversational manner - as if we were speaking. Again, its
part of my heritage.

Prove it! Frankly, I doubt it. I don't think you know how to write

well.

LOL, I don't need to prove anything to you, Eddie.

You say you write differently professionally than you do on this

newsgroup.
I say I do not believe you because I think you are incapable of it. Do you
really think I give a damn whether you prove it to me or not? But there

are
many others reading these messages. You might want to consider where you
stand with them right about now.

I am well respected in this newgroup - far better respected than you are.
Professionally, I write well, and am well respected by my peers for it. I
stand just fine, despite preferring to write newsgroup conversation like
real human interaction.

Tom Sherman August 4th 04 01:21 AM

Senior Olympics

The Alaskan Recumbent Princess wrote:

I think you might be a tad confused. A whore ****s for money, a slut just
****s around and I just say ****. Nothing whorish or slutty about it.
Crude and uncouth certainly. But its crude and uncouth when men do it as
well....

I can only imagine what Mr. Ed's reaction to the {in)famous picture of
Beth and her two friends would be. ;)

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Tom Sherman August 4th 04 01:26 AM

Senior Olympics

Edward Dolan wrote:

Do you not recall what I said about the Jews being the people of the Book.
There is nothing in that Book except words. Without the Book, the Jews would
most likely not even exist today. They would have gone extinct long ago with
all those other ancient peoples....

The "Book" is now (partially) available with illustrations in Lego [TM]. ;)
http://www.thebricktestament.com/

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Edward Dolan August 4th 04 05:06 AM

Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

[...]

Those ideas would not even exist had they not been written down in words and
then loving preserved by the Jews as their sacred text. Those peoples with
nothing but an oral tradition not only soon disappear from history, but they
are not even known except for their archeological artifacts. Of course words
represent ideas, but the words are inseparable from the ideas. It is not
even possible to think without words.

Conversation is not writing. They are two different things entirely. You are
writing on Usenet, you are not conversing.
[...]

I am well respected in this newgroup - far better respected than you are.
Professionally, I write well, and am well respected by my peers for it. I
stand just fine, despite preferring to write newsgroup conversation like
real human interaction.

You know there is at least one person on this group who does not think much
of you because of your contempt for the written word. There are no doubt
many others here who do not think much of you for this reason also. There
are always costs exacted for defying convention. Those who do not know
better can be excused. Those who know better can never be excused.

I do not see any relationship between Usenet and real human interaction. We
are essentially writing letters to one another which the whole world can
read and get in on. It simply boggles my mind that you cannot realize this
and act accordingly (write better). I believe your family of scholars would
be ashamed of you if they knew you were carrying on in this disgraceful
manner (not writing better).

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan August 4th 04 05:25 AM

Senior Olympics

Edward Dolan wrote:

Do you not recall what I said about the Jews being the people of the

Book.
There is nothing in that Book except words. Without the Book, the Jews

would
most likely not even exist today. They would have gone extinct long ago

with
all those other ancient peoples....

The "Book" is now (partially) available with illustrations in Lego [TM].

;)
http://www.thebricktestament.com/

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Tom, I do not know how you are able to dredge up this kind of foolishness. I
can't seem to find anything on the Internet.

I remember a phrase from my Bible studies in another lifetime (we Catholics
are not big on the Bible) about the importance of the word. I think it went
something like this: "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with
God, and the word was God."

I wonder if I am just imagining this or if it exists somewhere in the Bible.

If it exists, that shoots Beth's idea that words don't much matter and that
we can treat them with contempt by writing them anyway we want without
observing the conventions.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan August 4th 04 05:31 AM

Senior Olympics

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
The Alaskan Recumbent Princess wrote:

I think you might be a tad confused. A whore ****s for money, a slut

just
****s around and I just say ****. Nothing whorish or slutty about it.
Crude and uncouth certainly. But its crude and uncouth when men do it

as
well....

I can only imagine what Mr. Ed's reaction to the {in)famous picture of
Beth and her two friends would be. ;)

Without having any idea what Mr. Tom might be referring to, I think it would
be best that I never see such a picture if it reflects badly on Beth. I am
having enough trouble trying to get her up to speed on her writing without
getting into her morals.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Child August 4th 04 07:44 PM

Senior Olympics

[...]

Whats that got to do with the price of asparagus in Minneapolis?

Traditionally, jewish religious education was all about ARGUING VERBALLY
about the torah. Its as simple as that. Its not about writing. Its about
verbal debate.

Conversation is not writing. They are two different things entirely. You

are
writing on Usenet, you are not conversing.
[...]

No...YOU are writing. I am conversing.

I am well respected in this newgroup - far better respected than you

are.
Professionally, I write well, and am well respected by my peers for it.

stand just fine, despite preferring to write newsgroup conversation like
real human interaction.

You know there is at least one person on this group who does not think

much
of you because of your contempt for the written word. There are no doubt
many others here who do not think much of you for this reason also. There
are always costs exacted for defying convention. Those who do not know
better can be excused. Those who know better can never be excused.

Actually, I think its you who is defying convention. Most usenet denizens
recognize this as a casual discussion, not a literary society.

I do not see any relationship between Usenet and real human interaction.

We
are essentially writing letters to one another which the whole world can
read and get in on. It simply boggles my mind that you cannot realize this
and act accordingly (write better). I believe your family of scholars

would
be ashamed of you if they knew you were carrying on in this disgraceful
manner (not writing better).

LOL, and what would yours think about you trying to be "boss of the
internet"? Your imaginary standards aren't reality.

Child August 4th 04 07:48 PM

Senior Olympics

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

If it exists, that shoots Beth's idea that words don't much matter and

that
we can treat them with contempt by writing them anyway we want without
observing the conventions.

Nope, thats not my idea at all. My idea is that the ability to express
ideas on usenet isnt' restricted by your ideas about what "good writing"
is.

Edward Dolan August 5th 04 05:09 AM

Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

[...]

There has got to be something wrong with the way your brain works.

You are arguing verbally with one another about the written word as it
exists in your sacred texts. Without the written word, none of you would
have anything to say to one another and, in fact, the Jews as a people
would not even exist. It is your sacred texts that have ensured the survival
of the Jews down though history. You tell me why you think you are still
here as a people and the Philistines are not? Without the written word and
the importance that the Jews have given it they would not have survived down
through the ages. You would have gone the way of the Philistines.

Conversation is not writing. They are two different things entirely. You

are
writing on Usenet, you are not conversing.
[...]

No...YOU are writing. I am conversing.

Every time you peck at your keyboard to send a message, you are writing. I
am SEEING what you say, not HEARING what you say. In that lies all the
difference.

[...]

Writing is writing, speaking is speaking. They are two different things.
Most on Usenet should not be here in the first place because they do not
know how to write. But you do and so I hold you culpable.

I do not see any relationship between Usenet and real human interaction.

We
are essentially writing letters to one another which the whole world can
read and get in on. It simply boggles my mind that you cannot realize

this
and act accordingly (write better). I believe your family of scholars

would
be ashamed of you if they knew you were carrying on in this disgraceful
manner (not writing better).

LOL, and what would yours think about you trying to be "boss of the
internet"? Your imaginary standards aren't reality.

I send these messages of mine to my brother and sister for their amusement
and education. Maybe you should do likewise. You might be shocked at what
your parents and your brother think of how you are conducting yourself here.

Any standards I appeal to are not my standards but the standards that have
prevailed for hundreds of years among all those with a minimum of education.
I cannot believe that a person of Jewish heritage would purposely run the
written word into the ground when the Jews are preeminently the people of
the Book.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan August 5th 04 05:18 AM

Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

If it exists, that shoots Beth's idea that words don't much matter and

that
we can treat them with contempt by writing them anyway we want without
observing the conventions.

Nope, thats not my idea at all. My idea is that the ability to express
ideas on usenet isnt' restricted by your ideas about what "good writing"

They are not my ideas but the ideas of all minimally educated persons who
believe that culture counts for something in this world.

Actually, I detect that you are writing somewhat better now than formerly.
All you need do is mind a few p's and q's and you will almost be up to the
mark. You do not ever want to be where slugger is at, do you?

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Rasmus M?ller August 5th 04 06:47 PM

Senior Olympics

Edward Dolan wrote:

Do you not recall what I said about the Jews being the people of the

Book.
There is nothing in that Book except words. Without the Book, the Jews

would
most likely not even exist today. They would have gone extinct long ago

with
all those other ancient peoples....

snip

I remember a phrase from my Bible studies in another lifetime (we Catholics
are not big on the Bible) about the importance of the word. I think it went
something like this: "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with
God, and the word was God."

I wonder if I am just imagining this or if it exists somewhere in the Bible.

If it exists, that shoots Beth's idea that words don't much matter and that
we can treat them with contempt by writing them anyway we want without
observing the conventions.

Hello,

The passage is the beginning of the Gospel of St. John.
As such, Jews (except the few christian ones) are not likely
to recognize it to speak with any authority to them.

Btw. I believe that for many centuries the Torah was passed on
orally, and the Jews would thus train and value exact memorizing
very much. It was finally written down in Greek in Alexandria in
Egypt, because the large Jewish community there did not speak Hebrew.

yours truly

Rasmus Mψller
(yet another dane, Lutheran)

Curtis L. Russell August 5th 04 07:48 PM

Senior Olympics

On 5 Aug 2004 10:47:52 -0700, (Rasmus M?ller)
wrote:

The passage is the beginning of the Gospel of St. John.
As such, Jews (except the few christian ones) are not likely
to recognize it to speak with any authority to them.

And in most editions it is capitalized and refers to use of Word back
to its early mystical force. Far more likely to be akin to the awe of
the spoken references to the mystical than any written source.

Interestingly, the Word is often considered to also be a feminine
aspect of the Trinity (in the case of faiths believing in the Trinity)
or God nature, for those either Unitarian or pantheisitic. The passage
mentioned is a primary passage of the Wisdom Goddess or the Sophia
Tradition.

FWIW, it also has counterparts in Jewish mystical thought, although
it splits the equivalent of the Word into Chokhman, Binah and Da'at,
whch are respectively masculine, feminine and the child. The first is
the unknowable source of wisdom, the second the receptacle (and
transmitter) of wisdom and the third is knowledge. I personally would
equate the second most easily with the Word in most Trinitarian
thought and with the Greek Wisdom concept, but not so much that I
would argue the point against anyone that seemed to have spent more
time on the subject...

So, yes, some Jews would certainly be able to argue the concept with
some degree of authority. Also, FWIW, much of the above, especially
the Jewish Kabbalah, were primarily oral tradition - to refer back to
another part of the thread, if I understood what the discussion was
about.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Child August 5th 04 07:54 PM

Senior Olympics

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Traditionally, jewish religious education was all about ARGUING VERBALLY
about the torah. Its as simple as that. Its not about writing. Its

about
verbal debate.

There has got to be something wrong with the way your brain works.

Actually, i think its that you just aren't getting it.

You are arguing verbally with one another about the written word as it
exists in your sacred texts. Without the written word, none of you would
have anything to say to one another and, in fact, the Jews as a people
would not even exist. It is your sacred texts that have ensured the

survival
of the Jews down though history. You tell me why you think you are still
here as a people and the Philistines are not? Without the written word and
the importance that the Jews have given it they would not have survived

down
through the ages. You would have gone the way of the Philistines.

Yes, Jews argue about how to interpret the Torah. But its the ability to
form that verbal argument thats revered - its what was considered education
traditionally.

No...YOU are writing. I am conversing.

Every time you peck at your keyboard to send a message, you are writing. I
am SEEING what you say, not HEARING what you say. In that lies all the
difference.

There are many professional writers who have conversational, informal
styles, yet they still write. How could that possibly be, Eddie?

Actually, I think its you who is defying convention. Most usenet

denizens
recognize this as a casual discussion, not a literary society.

Writing is writing, speaking is speaking. They are two different things.
Most on Usenet should not be here in the first place because they do not
know how to write. But you do and so I hold you culpable.

I thought you said I didn't know how to write, eddie?

LOL, and what would yours think about you trying to be "boss of the
internet"? Your imaginary standards aren't reality.

I send these messages of mine to my brother and sister for their amusement
and education. Maybe you should do likewise. You might be shocked at what
your parents and your brother think of how you are conducting yourself

here.

My mother, brother and I converse via email frequently. Its informal, full
of half sentences. No need to type full ones.

Any standards I appeal to are not my standards but the standards that have
prevailed for hundreds of years among all those with a minimum of

education.
I cannot believe that a person of Jewish heritage would purposely run the
written word into the ground when the Jews are preeminently the people of
the Book.

You know as much about jews as you do about women, Eddie.

Child August 5th 04 07:56 PM

Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

If it exists, that shoots Beth's idea that words don't much matter and

that
we can treat them with contempt by writing them anyway we want without
observing the conventions.

Nope, thats not my idea at all. My idea is that the ability to express
ideas on usenet isnt' restricted by your ideas about what "good writing"

They are not my ideas but the ideas of all minimally educated persons who
believe that culture counts for something in this world.

I am certainly minimally eduated, and its not my idea. Evidentally, you
need to stop speaking for ALL minimally educated persons, because some of us
find you full of ****.

Actually, I detect that you are writing somewhat better now than formerly.
All you need do is mind a few p's and q's and you will almost be up to the
mark. You do not ever want to be where slugger is at, do you?

I have no idea who or what "slugger" is, so maybe.

Child August 5th 04 07:57 PM

Senior Olympics

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Curtis - you apparently know far more about my religious history than
i do!