CycleBanter.com

-   -   winged dome nut (photo) and "master wrench" (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=251209)

Emanuel Berg June 29th 16 01:06 AM

winged dome nut (photo) and "master wrench"

Today I saw an interesting dome nut:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photos/nut-thin.jpg

No sides for a hex spanner to grip!

Instead two wings, like a big wing nut only
taller and with a hole for the gear chain.

It was way too hard to remove by hand power (if
that is the thought). So I used the tool on the
photo, which I suppose is for bolts and hex
nuts, but as it grips like a pipe wrench when
you pull, I thought it would eat into the soft
metal, which it did. (Yeah, I'm not gonna use
the nut again.)

I have learned thru the web the tool is called
a "master wrench" - I don't know how common
that is in your countries, here it is virtually
unknown as everyone uses the adjustable wrench.

I prefer combination spanners which you don't
have to fiddle with. Especially outdoors or in
a sub-zero degree workshop, fiddling with tools
will kill you hands. Even everywhere else,
I don't enjoy it. But in the field if
I couldn't bring the entire collection of
priceless combination spanners I would prefer
the master wrench since it is at least
self-adjustable...

Yeah, why *are* people so fond of the
adjustable wrench?

- so far: 55 Blogomatic articles -

John B.[_6_] June 29th 16 05:27 AM

winged dome nut (photo) and "master wrench"

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 02:06:00 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Today I saw an interesting dome nut:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photos/nut-thin.jpg

No sides for a hex spanner to grip!

Instead two wings, like a big wing nut only
taller and with a hole for the gear chain.

It was way too hard to remove by hand power (if
that is the thought). So I used the tool on the
photo, which I suppose is for bolts and hex
nuts, but as it grips like a pipe wrench when
you pull, I thought it would eat into the soft
metal, which it did. (Yeah, I'm not gonna use
the nut again.)

I have learned thru the web the tool is called
a "master wrench" - I don't know how common
that is in your countries, here it is virtually
unknown as everyone uses the adjustable wrench.

As an aside, your photos are almost always too dark and usually with
shadows which make it difficult to see details.

The so called "master wrench" looks more like something that sounds
like a good idea and doesn't work as well as it sounded like it would

I prefer combination spanners which you don't
have to fiddle with. Especially outdoors or in
a sub-zero degree workshop, fiddling with tools
will kill you hands. Even everywhere else,
I don't enjoy it. But in the field if
I couldn't bring the entire collection of
priceless combination spanners I would prefer
the master wrench since it is at least
self-adjustable...

Yeah, why *are* people so fond of the
adjustable wrench?

Basically, I think, because they only occasionally use a wrench and
can keep a couple of adjustable wrenches in the drawer which will
probably fit everything in the house.

Professionals don't use them because they slip and they are larger and
heavier than an equal size conventional wrench.

And besides, they don't look "professional" so you don't want to put
them in the top of your tool box where everyone will see them :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Emanuel Berg June 29th 16 06:41 AM

John B. writes:

As an aside, your photos are almost always
too dark and usually with shadows which make
it difficult to see details.

I got a web camera, so I attached it to a pole
so it always points to a piece of wood, where
I can place things and have it automated in
that sense. Problem is it is always too dark
even when I (like this time) hold a flashlight
directly at the object. It needs more light in
general, I suppose. The web cams should come
with a flash! Under construction...

The so called "master wrench" looks more like
something that sounds like a good idea and
doesn't work as well as it sounded like it
would

I like it for field work so I only have to
bring 8, 10, 13, 14 and 15 mm combination
spanners but still be ready for everything.

Professionals don't use them because they
slip and they are larger and heavier than an
equal size conventional wrench.

And slower with less power (yeah, the slip).

And besides, they don't look "professional"
so you don't want to put them in the top of
your tool box where everyone will see them
:-)

For tool boxes they are OK because you don't
get that much stuff into a tool box. But now
when I discovered the master wrench the
adjustable wrenches will be expelled from there
as well. As for hanging them from a nail in the
shop, that is OK because people borrow them and
never return them (just like the knife and ax)
before they make me look bad - the combination
spanners tho I get to keep, probably because
people aren't used to using them so they don't
know they do the same only much better...

- so far: 55 Blogomatic articles -

Emanuel Berg June 29th 16 06:51 AM

John B. writes:

As an aside, your photos are almost always
too dark and usually with shadows which make
it difficult to see details.

Now I put the things on a window sill where
there is sun but the result is still shady:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photo...ter-wrench.jpg

- so far: 55 Blogomatic articles -

John B.[_6_] June 29th 16 10:49 AM

winged dome nut (photo) and "master wrench"

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 07:51:25 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

As an aside, your photos are almost always
too dark and usually with shadows which make
it difficult to see details.

Now I put the things on a window sill where
there is sun but the result is still shady:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photo...ter-wrench.jpg

It is better :-)

Why not a couple of 100 or 150 watt light bulbs in those receptacles
with the clamp so you can hook it to anything.? Put some conical
reflectors on them and you should get good photos.

Light// \\Light

object

(or at least no shadows :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH June 29th 16 02:39 PM

winged dome nut (photo) and "master wrench"

https://goo.gl/pvSCCR

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH June 29th 16 02:41 PM

winged dome nut (photo) and "master wrench"

after the lawyers...

https://goo.gl/fzR6yv

David Scheidt June 29th 16 02:48 PM

Emanuel Berg wrote:
:John B. writes:

:spanners but still be ready for everything.

: Professionals don't use them because they
: slip and they are larger and heavier than an
: equal size conventional wrench.

Depends on what professional you're talking about. Professonal
mechanics, working in a shop, don't often use them. Professionals who
have to carry their tools around often do.

:And slower with less power (yeah, the slip).

Knipex Pliers Wrench!

--
sig 9

Emanuel Berg June 29th 16 10:02 PM

David Scheidt writes:

And slower with less power (yeah, the slip).

Knipex Pliers Wrench!

.... what about them? They are faster and
slip less?

They look like polygrips but with a flat grip.
Are the positions adapted to nut sizes?

In that case perhaps a good thing to have in
the box. One big, and one small!

- so far: 55 Blogomatic articles -

David Scheidt June 30th 16 01:46 AM

:
: Knipex Pliers Wrench!

:... what about them? They are faster and
:slip less?

Yes.

:They look like polygrips but with a flat grip.
:Are the positions adapted to nut sizes?

They have a fairly large nummber of positions, so they're usually
close.
The two jaws are always parallel to each other. Usage is to open
them up, push the botton that locks the sliding jaw in place, and
slide the jaws so they're wider than the thing you're using them on.
Put the fixed jaw on one side, push the button and slide the sliding
jaw up. then squeze and turn or bend or twist or whatever it is you
need. It's easier to do that than ot say it, and with some practice
you do it one handed. The movement of the jaws as you close the plier
handles is small -- on the 250mm model, it's about 6 or 8 mm, with a
handle swing of 125 or 150 mm. so they can grip very tightly if required,
or normally tightly with less hand force. I use mine for not only the
things I'd use an adjustable for, but also for things like bending
sheet metal.

--
sig 119