CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist: (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=245154)

Joy Beeson June 10th 16 03:44 AM

AG: Cleaning bottles

On Tue, 24 May 2016 17:09:50 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Warm drink when you are all hot and sweaty
is not very palatable.

Last summer -- and again this summer if my arm heals, and it *finally*
appears to be doing so; I've gotten confident enough to print out a
map of Atwood -- I would insulate my left pannier with newspaper, and
carry my spare water chilled, frozen, and partly-frozen. (This also
cooled my lunch and any groceries I picked up along the way.)

When the bottles in the holders ran empty, I would pour about half a
cup into one of them from one of the spare bottles. This helped with
hydration because I was highly motivated to get it all down before it
got warm.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

John B.[_6_] June 10th 16 09:53 AM

AG: Cleaning bottles

wrote:

Warm drink when you are all hot and sweaty
is not very palatable.

Last summer -- and again this summer if my arm heals, and it *finally*
appears to be doing so; I've gotten confident enough to print out a
map of Atwood -- I would insulate my left pannier with newspaper, and
carry my spare water chilled, frozen, and partly-frozen. (This also
cooled my lunch and any groceries I picked up along the way.)

When the bottles in the holders ran empty, I would pour about half a
cup into one of them from one of the spare bottles. This helped with
hydration because I was highly motivated to get it all down before it
got warm.

That is what I planned to do with the stainless "thermos" bottle but
it didn't work too well. Of course the thermos cost me 150 baht which
is about US$4.20 so perhaps it isn't really top quality.
Sunday I'll try freezing the thermos and see how that works.

By the way, they have made "insulated" bike bottles. I bought one and
yes, they are slightly more effective at keeping stuff cold than the
usual bottle but only very slightly.
--
cheers,

John B.

Joy Beeson June 12th 16 03:43 AM

AG: Drying without a towel

On a tour, on a dripping-hot day, one of the group passed up a chance
to take a shower just because he didn't have a towel.

You can dry yourself quite thoroughly with your washrag -- just start
at the top and keep wringing it out.

Wet hair doesn't squeegee well, but you can comb the water out. And
tangles are easier to get out if water is still draining through them.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.

John B.[_6_] June 12th 16 09:17 AM

AG: Drying without a towel

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 23:43:23 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On a tour, on a dripping-hot day, one of the group passed up a chance
to take a shower just because he didn't have a towel.

You can dry yourself quite thoroughly with your washrag -- just start
at the top and keep wringing it out.

Wet hair doesn't squeegee well, but you can comb the water out. And
tangles are easier to get out if water is still draining through them.

Japanese, traditionally carry one "towel" to the public bath house.
Small, perhaps, 12 x 28 inches, but probably actually a metric
dimension. They use the "towel" with soap and water to wash with, then
rinse the towel and wring as dry as possible. Hop into the hot tub and
soak for a while and then wipe the excess water off with the damp
towel. The resulting damp skin will keep you cool as you walk
homeward.

Thais who still live in the small villages will take, perhaps four or
five baths a day during the hot season.

( And, frankly, they consider foreigners who bath only once a day to
be, well, a bit dirty :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Joy Beeson June 13th 16 03:33 AM

AG: Drying without a towel

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 15:17:50 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Thais who still live in the small villages will take, perhaps four or
five baths a day during the hot season.

One extra-hot summer when grad students were kept in a winter-only
dorm, I took a shower every time I entered or left the building. In
the old days, dorms had shared facilities that you didn't have to
clean yourself.

Facilities that one has to share with suite mates were a giant leap
backward -- Four of you sharing a single-occupancy room means a high
percentage of waiting for someone to finish a shower when you want to
use the toilet. And if your roommate is a slob, yuckers.

A suite of facilities meant to serve the whole floor meant that there
was *always* a vacant stall. When I washed my angora sweaters, I
could use half a dozen sinks. And somebody was *paid* to clean it.

John B.[_6_] June 13th 16 05:26 AM

AG: Drying without a towel

wrote:

Thais who still live in the small villages will take, perhaps four or
five baths a day during the hot season.

One extra-hot summer when grad students were kept in a winter-only
dorm, I took a shower every time I entered or left the building. In
the old days, dorms had shared facilities that you didn't have to
clean yourself.

Multiple daily baths have been ,disparagingly, referred to as "Thai
Air Conditioning" :-)

Facilities that one has to share with suite mates were a giant leap
backward -- Four of you sharing a single-occupancy room means a high
percentage of waiting for someone to finish a shower when you want to
use the toilet. And if your roommate is a slob, yuckers.

A suite of facilities meant to serve the whole floor meant that there
was *always* a vacant stall. When I washed my angora sweaters, I
could use half a dozen sinks. And somebody was *paid* to clean it.

Having someone else to clean up is a nice thing.
--
cheers,

John B.

Joy Beeson June 16th 16 11:49 PM

AG: Squirrel!

On Tue, 31 May 2016 21:10:08 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I wonder whether "sleeve" is unique to me
. . .

Nope. I rode to Walmart today, and happened to read the sign on their
bag-recycling bin: among the bags one could deposit there was
"newspaper sleeves".

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

Joy Beeson June 17th 16 02:31 AM

AG: Squirrel!

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:09:13 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Good Lord! What would one do if his/her discards on a certain day
weren't listed on the sign?

Put them in a different bin. The point of the sign was that Walmart
would recycle bags other than its own.

I cheerfully put all my bags, including occasional newspaper sleeves,
in the bin at Owen's. In the absence of a sign, I've no idea whether
I'm messing up their system. But I always see lots of bags that
aren't brown when I stuff mine in, so if foreign bags were a problem,
I think they'd put up a sign. They do have one that says "no trash".

John B.[_6_] June 17th 16 04:17 AM

AG: Squirrel!

wrote:

Good Lord! What would one do if his/her discards on a certain day
weren't listed on the sign?

Put them in a different bin. The point of the sign was that Walmart
would recycle bags other than its own.

I cheerfully put all my bags, including occasional newspaper sleeves,
in the bin at Owen's. In the absence of a sign, I've no idea whether
I'm messing up their system. But I always see lots of bags that
aren't brown when I stuff mine in, so if foreign bags were a problem,
I think they'd put up a sign. They do have one that says "no trash".

Ah, Lotus Tesco, think "Thai Walmart", has an even simpler solution.
they offer a discount for those that don't require a plastic bag.
--
cheers,

John B.