CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist: (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=245154)

Joy Beeson July 22nd 16 04:46 PM

AG: Twenty-first Century Switchel

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 09:45:34 +0700, John B.
wrote:

The rice cooker problem sounds strange as that is how a rice cooker
works. The early, simpler, ones had a single thermostat in them that
when the pot reached a certain temperature it switched over to
warming.

My rice cooker is calibrated for *white* rice. Brown rice must be
cooked more slowly.

When I want white rice, I go to the Great Wall. They buy better rice
and do a better job of cooking it. (Not to mention that I like white
rice only with the sort of food *they* cook, not the sort that *I*
cook.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Joy Beeson July 22nd 16 04:55 PM

AG: Twenty-first Century Switchel

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 13:19:24 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Weather Underground says it's going to be in the nineties Saturday,
which is dangerously hot for Indiana. And precious little chance of
rain; the corn is already hurting.

We got six-tenths of an inch yesterday, which might hold us until the
next thunderstorm.

I'm seriously considering hitting all three vegetable markets
tomorrow, which would enable me to see whether the hurting corn has
uncurled -- if I'd taken note of exactly where it is. I think it was
on the westbound leg of my loop; I'm pretty sure that I looked south
at it. And it was right next to another field that wasn't curled, and
I kinder think the road sloped down.

John B.[_6_] July 23rd 16 05:33 AM

AG: Twenty-first Century Switchel

wrote:

The rice cooker problem sounds strange as that is how a rice cooker
works. The early, simpler, ones had a single thermostat in them that
when the pot reached a certain temperature it switched over to
warming.

My rice cooker is calibrated for *white* rice. Brown rice must be
cooked more slowly.

When I want white rice, I go to the Great Wall. They buy better rice
and do a better job of cooking it. (Not to mention that I like white
rice only with the sort of food *they* cook, not the sort that *I*
cook.)

When I went to collage my roommate was from Hendersonville, N.
Carolina and invited me to his home for Christmas. The Christmas
Dinner had rice instead of potatoes. I was totally bamboozled as at
that tine I had never eaten rice except as "rice pudding". Of course
when I got to Asia it was even worse.... they eat rice for breakfast
here :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Joy Beeson July 24th 16 02:46 AM

AG: When in doubt, walk

If you don't know whether or not you should get off your bike and
walk, get off your bike and walk.

When meeting a pedestrian on a walkway, if it's a wide walkway, simply
keeping steady on your side will do the trick; when it's not that
wide, putting a foot down and draisining until you are past is usually
enough, but if there is the slightest doubt in your mind that there
might be some slight doubt in his mind, get off and walk until you are
behind him.

I get off most often when crossing a busy street on an alley. Being
on foot makes me more agile to take advantage of small holes in the
traffic, and it makes it possible to get out to where I can see the
traffic without looking as though I might suddenly roll into the
street -- not to mention that, just as it's much easier to see from a
bike than from a car, it's much easier to look back and forth and all
around while standing than while balancing on a bike.

Patch of gravel on the pavement? If you aren't certain that you can
roll through it without crashing, get off and walk. But such things
usually occur at corners where I've slowed way down to turn; if the
patch is only a yard wide, I'll put one foot down and draisine across
it.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.

Joy Beeson July 30th 16 02:45 AM

AG: Squirrel!

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 22:27:26 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Bread always gets loaded last, and not infrequently, it's got to
be lashed on top somehow.

And then there are bananas. When I went to Marsh on purpose, I
redeemed a coupon for a free pound of bananas -- I bought more than a
pound of ripe bananas, and got the price of a pound of the
more-expensive green bananas taken off. I reserved one banana, the
(also free) container of yogurt, and a single-serve container of
potato salad for my lunch. (I was much impressed by a single serving
being available, much less impressed with the potato salad.)

Having packed everything else into my panniers, I balanced the bananas
in a groove between two lumps on top of one pannier, pulled both
handles of the bag they were in under the bungees holding my emergency
kit to the rack, pulled until the bananas were held gently but firmly,
and carried the handles over the emergency kit to tie them to the
front of the rack to keep the bag in that position.

And then I prepared to eat my lunch. With the plastic spoon I keep in
my emergency kit.

I think I threw the spoon into a convenient trash can to keep from
having to undo everything again.

Joy Beeson July 31st 16 03:18 AM

AG: Washing bottles

If you wash an assortment of water bottles, take a photograph of them
first, or take some other stern measure to make sure you get each
bottle back together with its own lid. If two bottles of different
brands -- or the same brand from different production runs -- appear
to have interchangeable lids, the lids will differ exactly enough to
make the bottle leak, but not quite enough that you will notice when
you screw the lid on.

John B.[_6_] July 31st 16 06:06 AM

AG: Washing bottles

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 23:18:39 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

If you wash an assortment of water bottles, take a photograph of them
first, or take some other stern measure to make sure you get each
bottle back together with its own lid. If two bottles of different
brands -- or the same brand from different production runs -- appear
to have interchangeable lids, the lids will differ exactly enough to
make the bottle leak, but not quite enough that you will notice when
you screw the lid on.

Or mark the bottle and its lid with a waterproof indelible pen :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Joy Beeson August 7th 16 03:26 AM

AG: Water

Never carry an empty bottle away from a source of drinking water.

Duane[_4_] August 7th 16 11:37 AM

AG: Water

Joy Beeson wrote:

Never carry an empty bottle away from a source of drinking water.

+100000

An addendum, especially for us aging cyclists would be to never pass up the
use of the facilities if you're already stopped there.

--
duane

Andrew Chaplin August 7th 16 12:23 PM

AG: Water

Duane wrote in

:

Joy Beeson wrote:

Never carry an empty bottle away from a source of drinking water.

+100000

An addendum, especially for us aging cyclists would be to never pass up
the use of the facilities if you're already stopped there.

+1 :)
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO