CycleBanter.com

-   -   Hyperglide cassette on Hyperglide-C freehub body (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=155204)

Stephen Greenwood February 1st 07 07:28 AM

Hyperglide cassette on Hyperglide-C freehub body

I've got a worn 7-speed Hyperglide-C cassette that was used on a
Hyperglide-C style freehub body, where the splines don't quite go all
the way to the outer edge of the freehub body. I'd like to replace it
with a cassette from a bike that I recently found in a dumpster. That
cassette is a Hyperglide unit, found mounted on an older Hyperglide
freehub body where the splines do go all the way to the edge.

The problem is that the smallest cog has no splines to engage. Sheldon
Brown explains (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html) how one can add
a 1mm spacer to use a Hyperglide-C cassette on the older Hyperglide
body. Since I want to do the opposite (Hyperglide cassette on
Hyperglide-C body), it seems like a -1 mm spacer would be required.
Those don't exist of course, but it happens that my cassette already
has some spacers. If I replace the existing spacers with one fewer mm
worth of spacers, will that work?

Thanks,
Stephen Greenwood

John Ampleforth February 1st 07 01:19 PM

Hyperglide cassette on Hyperglide-C freehub body

"Stephen Greenwood" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I don't know anything about these components but if all you need is a 1mil
spacer then:

http://www.cyclebasket.com/products.php?plid=m9b0s318p0

Delivery from this place is £6.50 no matter what you buy so you might want
to bulk up the order with tubes and cables. Hope this helps.

John Ampleforth February 1st 07 01:20 PM

Hyperglide.... post Script

"John Ampleforth" wrote in message

[...]

P.S.
I'm sure that you can get 1mm spacers from picking apart certain cassettes
(i'm sure i got some out of a 5 speed once).

Sheldon Brown February 1st 07 05:31 PM

Hyperglide cassette on Hyperglide-C freehub body

Quoth Stephen Greenwood:
[...]

The smallest sprocket has to have a built-in spacer, and there should
be splines in the spacer.

Sure it isn't an 8-speed cassette you're trying to put onto a 7-speed
body?

Sheldon "K7" Brown
| The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, |
| as well as the poor, to sleep under the bridges, |
| to beg in the streets, and to steal bread. |
| --Anatole France |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Stephen Greenwood February 1st 07 07:38 PM

Hyperglide cassette on Hyperglide-C freehub body

On Feb 1, 9:31 am, "Sheldon Brown" wrote:

snip

The smallest sprocket has to have a built-in spacer, and there should
be splines in the spacer.

Sure it isn't an 8-speed cassette you're trying to put onto a 7-speed
body?

Sheldon "K7" Brown

I see I chose poor wording when I said "The problem is that the
smallest cog has no splines to engage." It is indeed a 7-speed
Hyperglide, and the number and the spacing of the cogs is identical to
those on my 1993-vintage 7-speed Hyperglide-C cassette. The smallest
cog does have a built-in spacer with splines in it. What I meant was
that the Hyperglide-C freehub body, with its splines that don't go all
the way to the edge of the body, don't come up far enough to engage
the smallest cog's splines. This is what makes me think reducing the
spacers by 1 mm might work. I already tried removing one of the 2-mm
spacers, but it appears that that allows the lockring to screw in too
far. The result was that the freehub became difficult to turn, before
the cogs were tightly screwed down. I don't have a 1 mm to try, and I
anticipate having trouble getting one from any of the local bike
shops.

Thanks for your advice and for the time you've spent on your web
pages.

Stephen Greenwood

Stephen Greenwood February 4th 07 09:09 AM

Hyperglide cassette on Hyperglide-C freehub body

On Jan 31, 11:28 pm, "Stephen Greenwood"
wrote:
[...]

For the benefit of archive-searchers, the answer is yes. I finally
obtained the proper spacer and tried it.