CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=319)

Tom Keats August 6th 03 09:06 PM

CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY

In article ,
(Brent Hugh) writes:

Anybody besides me think it would be worthwhile to send a few letters
to Cafferty and to CNN suggesting that this would be a wise way for
them to deal with this situation?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt, and it would be a way to express
one's concerns. But if they do something like that, I'd
really rather they truly mean it. It would be really nice if
they come up with the idea themselves, and then follow up on it.
It would also be nice if Cafferty did his part in this /as well
as/, rather than part of, his community service.

But somehow I don't see it happening.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.

Rivermist August 6th 03 09:57 PM

CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY

what a lame punishment

"Brent Hugh" wrote in message
om...
Jack Cafferty is a CNN morning news anchor. Apparently in May he made
an abrupt turn and hit a cyclist. The cyclist was thrown to the
ground but the bicycle was hooked to Cafferty's car and he dragged it
through at least two traffic lights, with people following him and
hollering at him to stop.

Cafferty claimed that he saw the bicyclist fall over but didn't
realize that he wsa the cause of the crash.

According to a story by a Newsday reporter:

"Cafferty was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, reckless
driving, assault and harassment. He was allowed to plead guilty to a
traffic violation: Operating a motor vehicle knowing or having cause
to know property damage had been caused. He was sentenced to 70 hours
of community service, with six months to complete it, and a $250 fine.
He also made restitution."
(http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news...6cafferty.html)

Here's my point: We have a well-known celebrity-type person who claims
that he didn't mean to do it, claims that he didn't realize he did it,
and claims that he's remorseful as all get out.

If all that is really true, then he needs to become the posterboy for
a "Share the Road with Bicycles" campaign--talk about it, make ads,
financially support it, do stories about it on CNN, etc etc etc.

Anybody besides me think it would be worthwhile to send a few letters
to Cafferty and to CNN suggesting that this would be a wise way for
them to deal with this situation?

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/

--Brent
bhugh [at] mwsc.edu

Doug Purdy August 7th 03 12:22 AM

CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY

"Tom Keats" wrote
if they do something like that, I'd
really rather they truly mean it. It would be really nice if
they come up with the idea themselves, and then follow up on it.
It would also be nice if Cafferty did his part in this /as well
as/, rather than part of, his community service.

I'd find "instead of " ok. I'd prefer his community service to be reviewed
by a panel of cyclists, say officers of bike clubs or LAB and they make
recommendations to the court that his punishment be reduced or increased.

If he worked really hard to get out of the $250 dollar fine he'd probably
convince himself and others.

Doug
Toronto

Pete August 7th 03 02:50 AM

CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY

"Rivermist" wrote in message
what a lame punishment

Years ago, I got in a motorcycle accident. I was JRA, and the idiot ran a
red light, hit me, and left the scene. Cops caught him a few blocks later.
He had no idea whether I was dead or alive as he drove off.

20 yr old person of non-US descent (gotta be PC), ran a red light, hit and
run, drunk, unregistered weapon in the car, no insurance.

He was allowed to plead guilty to reckless driving. Got a $400 fine,
probation, and had to go to drunk school.

Things haven't changed much

Pete

smokey August 7th 03 06:36 AM

CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY

jack cafferty is a joke. his only function at CNN is to read the
latest White House press release after having the make-up person cover
the brown stains on his nose. come to think of it, that describes a
big chunk of the CNN news organization. yes, the punishment is
ridiculous; what else do you expect in this society?
smokey

(

Brent Hugh August 8th 03 11:59 PM

CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY

(Brent Hugh) wrote in message . com...

If all that is really true, then he needs to become the posterboy for
a "Share the Road with Bicycles" campaign--talk about it, make ads,
financially support it, do stories about it on CNN, etc etc etc.

Anybody besides me think it would be worthwhile to send a few letters
to Cafferty and to CNN suggesting that this would be a wise way for
them to deal with this situation?

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/

For what it's worth, here's a letter someone from the St. Louis Bike
Fed wrote CNN. I wrote a similar letter. If even eight or ten others
take the time to write, there's just the chance it will turn on a
small light in the sub-reptillian organs they carry around near the
upper ends of the bodies and call brains.

It seems to me, anyway, it's worth a try . . .

----
Bicyclists across the country have been watching with interest the
story of your morning anchor Jack Cafferty and his recent unfortunate
encounter with a cyclist. While I am disturbed by the comments of his
lawyer, as quoted in Newsday, that "this was never anything more than
a traffic violation," if Mr. Cafferty is open to even slightly more
introspection on the matter, he might be able to use his celebrity
status to raise awareness among your audience on the need for
motorists to share the roads with cyclists. Autos making sudden, and
often unsignaled, turns across the paths of cyclists are a fairly
common cause of injury to cyclists. Motorists need to be reminded of
the fact that they are sharing the roads with a variety of users --
pedestrians as well as cyclists -- and that operating a large, heavy
piece of machinery through this environment requires a high degree of
alertness and care. There is a very widespread reluctance among
motorists to see things this way. Since Mr. Cafferty's sentence
includes 70 hours of community service, perhaps he could make
arrangements to use his name recognition to help shape public
awareness on this subject.

Russell A. Willis III
Policy Task Force Chair
St. Louis Regional Bicycle Federation
----

--Brent
bhugh [at] mwsc.edu

Doctor Phibes August 9th 03 01:50 AM

[...]

The sad fact is society could care less. It's all about cars. I'd say
at least 50% of all ads are for automobiles. Automobilists kill quite
a few people each year due to gross neglegence. The penalty for
vehicular homicide is below manslaughter. It's a slap on the wrist.
It's as if the car did it not the driver. I'd like to take it a step
further. If the government can force tobacco companies to put warning
labels on their ads they can remind automobilists with every ad that
they share the road. That they are extremely dangerous, pollute our
air, cause health problems such as asthma.

Oh but they couldn't do that...why everyone knows oil rules the
world...

I do my part...maybe we need a class action lawsuit against car makers
or insurance companies that dont screen anything but the wallets of
their insured.

Paul Southworth August 9th 03 07:53 PM

Doctor Phibes wrote:

The sad fact is society could care less. It's all about cars. I'd say
at least 50% of all ads are for automobiles. Automobilists kill quite
a few people each year due to gross neglegence. The penalty for
vehicular homicide is below manslaughter. It's a slap on the wrist.
It's as if the car did it not the driver.

....like an agressive dog. Would be nice if all cars
that ever bit anyone were immediately destroyed.

--Paul

Doctor Phibes August 10th 03 03:08 AM

CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY

(Paul Southworth) wrote in message ...
In article ,
Doctor Phibes wrote:

The sad fact is society could care less. It's all about cars. I'd say
at least 50% of all ads are for automobiles. Automobilists kill quite
a few people each year due to gross neglegence. The penalty for
vehicular homicide is below manslaughter. It's a slap on the wrist.
It's as if the car did it not the driver.

...like an agressive dog. Would be nice if all cars
that ever bit anyone were immediately destroyed.

--Paul

lol that'll be the day, said john wayne
The laws have to be challenged is the real solution. In my state PIP
will only cover $8000, after that you're going up against the
insurance company who will try to make it seem like you "cut him off".
Or maybe they'll suggest you ran the car down from infront lol I think
there might be a way to force insurance companies to do serious
background checks on prospective clients. Do felons aquire guns very
easily? lol I'm willing to bet more people are killed by cars than
guns. i'm all for age restrictions on automobilists. Anyone under 21
should not be driving. I am also in favor of having foreignors who
fresh off the boat transfer their licence. That's got to stop. If they
can't speak or write english they shouldn't be driving. I don't care
if they're on vacation. Weed out the roads and they have to be safer.

I'm all for destroying bad bad cars...I suggest further they broadcast
the executions on court tv ;-)

Hunrobe August 10th 03 06:11 AM

CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY

(Doctor Phibes)

wrote in part:

If they
can't speak or write english they shouldn't be driving.

I hope you realize that if the test necessary to weed out the illiterate were
graded on spelling, punctuation, and grammar you'd be refused a driver's
license.

Regards,
Bob Hunt