CycleBanter.com

CycleBanter.com (http://www.cyclebanter.com/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Todays ride (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=259149)

[email protected] April 1st 20 12:11 AM

Todays ride

My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the obvious reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit chilly and windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On todays ride at a certain point I hear a tractor coming from behind and pulled to the right to let him pass. It was a tractor that had been dumping chalk over the fields all white itself. When he just passed me he went over a bump and the valve opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big white cloud of chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes. some of it blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25 km, people starred at me puzzled....;-)

Lou

AMuzi April 1st 20 12:45 AM

Todays ride

On 3/31/2020 6:11 PM, wrote:
My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the obvious reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit chilly and windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On todays ride at a certain point I hear a tractor coming from behind and pulled to the right to let him pass. It was a tractor that had been dumping chalk over the fields all white itself. When he just passed me he went over a bump and the valve opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big white cloud of chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes. some of it blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25 km, people starred at me puzzled....;-)

Lou

Let's hope it was chalk...

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Frank Krygowski[_4_] April 1st 20 12:50 AM

Todays ride

On 3/31/2020 7:11 PM, wrote:

That reminds me of the time I went by a "road closed" sign on a country
road in the southern U.S. I figured, hey, no road's closed to a bike! I
can always get by.

After a while a county work truck came the other way, and a guy yelled
"Watch out for the tar!!"

I thought "Tar? Tire? What did he mean?" In that area, those two words
are pronounced exactly alike.

He meant tar. Immediately after came a truck spraying a fine mist of
black tar over the road, preparatory to repaving. I had nowhere to hide.

Fortunately, it was just a fine mist, not a heavy coating. But I learned
that one man with proper equipment can spray tar onto a bike and rider
far faster than a bicyclist can remove it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich[_2_] April 1st 20 12:50 AM

Todays ride

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 4:11:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:
My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the obvious reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit chilly and windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On todays ride at a certain point I hear a tractor coming from behind and pulled to the right to let him pass. It was a tractor that had been dumping chalk over the fields all white itself.. When he just passed me he went over a bump and the valve opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big white cloud of chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes. some of it blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25 km, people starred at me puzzled....;-)

Lou

(thrum-thrum bum bum) Ghost riders IN the sky.

I decided that I just didn't feel like going out in cold overcast skies after an absolutely perfect sky last night with the light pollution very low and many star clusters showing brightly. So I waited until 11 to leave and it was still too cold for comfort even into a damned headwind. It seems like I can't remember a time when I didn't have a headwind. It was only a 27 mile ride but 5 miles of it was on a bike path which is to day a "multiuse" path with everyone taking their kids out on training wheel bikes that they cannot control. 30 traffic lights and I still averaged 13.3 mph. There is one section returning from the end of the paved bike path that is usually hell. I cannot figure where all of the heavy traffic comes from on a dead end street with side streets into residential neighborhoods. But there has to be a heavy trucking firm in there somewhere. Yehhhhhh! Shelter in place will give me no traffic on the 1/4 mile section. ****TTT no such luck. There was more traffic along there than usual. I had a little luck, there was a break in traffic where I had to move to the left turn lane and I had a green light and the mutton head in the giant SUV stopped looking at this cell phone early enough that he make the light and me too.

I have this external wiring kit for Di2. It is an EW-7970-S. These are now as high as $137 on eBay. I've been trying to sell it for $20 plus shipping and no luck. Several emails but I have to explain everything to them the same thing that is IN the advertisement on Craigslist and THEN they check a first time and learn that it doesn't work for their setup. Just had to do the same damn thing for some guy in Florida (how the hell did he even think to look for something like that on San Francisco bay area Craigslist?) Same deal, "Oh, dude that is for the old Dura Ace". But they really should make a kit like this for the latest external wiring stuff. It is the wires, the battery carrier, the wire covers and the wiring tool. Apparently this was before they got a good EE working on it since these wires all have three or four wires per connector. Since it said Dura Ace wiring kit I picked up for $25 at the time. Too bad it didn't work. The individual parts cost me about $200 to buy individually.

jOHN b. April 1st 20 01:38 AM

Todays ride

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 18:45:57 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Lou

The most usual white dust like stuff applied to fields is crushed
limestone, sometimes called aglime. It is used to neutralize acidic
soil.

--
cheers,

John B.

[email protected] April 1st 20 08:28 AM

Todays ride

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 1:46:04 AM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:

Lou

Yeah I think is was. The stuff that you have to put over your lawn in the spring to restore the pH value. But I cleaned my bike right away when I arrived home and put my clothes in the washer and showered of course ;-)

Lou

[email protected] April 1st 20 08:30 AM

Todays ride

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 2:38:28 AM UTC+2, John B. wrote:

Lou

soil.

--
cheers,

John B.

I think you are right.

Lou

Andre Jute[_2_] April 1st 20 09:47 AM

Todays ride

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 12:11:25 AM UTC+1, wrote:
My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the obvious reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit chilly and windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On todays ride at a certain point I hear a tractor coming from behind and pulled to the right to let him pass. It was a tractor that had been dumping chalk over the fields all white itself.. When he just passed me he went over a bump and the valve opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big white cloud of chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes. some of it blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25 km, people starred at me puzzled....;-)

Lou

The Skeleton Rides!
-- AJ

AMuzi April 1st 20 03:08 PM

Todays ride

On 4/1/2020 2:28 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 1:46:04 AM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/31/2020 6:11 PM,
wrote:

Lou

Yeah I think is was. The stuff that you have to put over your lawn in the spring to restore the pH value. But I cleaned my bike right away when I arrived home and put my clothes in the washer and showered of course ;-)

Lou

More probably limestone (which isn't very different from
diatomacious earth)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Radey Shouman April 1st 20 05:02 PM

Todays ride

writes:

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 2:38:28 AM UTC+2, John B. wrote:

On 3/31/2020 6:11 PM,
wrote:
My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the
obvious reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit
chilly and windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On
todays ride at a certain point I hear a tractor coming from
behind and pulled to the right to let him pass. It was a tractor
that had been dumping chalk over the fields all white
itself. When he just passed me he went over a bump and the valve
opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big white cloud of
chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes. some of it
blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25 km,
people starred at me puzzled....;-)

Lou

soil.

--
cheers,

John B.

I think you are right.

Both chalk and limestone are mostly calcium carbonate, CaCO3. Once
ground into powder it would probably take a microscope and more
mineralogy than I have to tell them apart.