CycleBanter.com

-   -   Should pedestrians wear helmets? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=224352)

Doug[_3_] January 7th 11 07:06 AM

Should pedestrians wear helmets?

Notice too the problem caused by parked cars which led to her death.

BTW, when I was struck by a car as a child I too had a fracture at the
base of my skull but was lucky enough not to die from it, unlike this
vulnerable road victim.

"The inquest in Maidstone was told the Ms Foulkes and her friend,
Jessica Read, were walking hand-in-hand towards oncoming traffic
trying to find a space among parked cars to step on to the pavement.

Ms Read recalled how she noticed one car in particular driving at high
speed towards them, "closer to the parked cars than the others".

"As I saw it coming towards us, I looked back to her to check that she
wasn't in the way. I went to pull her in and it was just a bit too
quick," she told the inquest.

Ms Foulkes was thrown about two car lengths by the high-speed impact
into a parked vehicle, causing her massive injuries.

A post-mortem examination found she died from a fracture to the base
of her skull..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-12132231

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

FrengaX January 7th 11 07:50 AM

Should pedestrians wear helmets?

On Jan 7, 7:06*am, Doug wrote:
[Drivel deleted]

Yet another OT post from Doug

Mrcheerful[_2_] January 7th 11 09:19 AM

Doug wrote:
Notice too the problem caused by parked cars which led to her death.

Many pedestrians are like many cyclists, they think that the highway code
does not apply to their use of the roads.
Strangely this attitude of 'I am right, because I am old' seems to get worse
with increasing age.

Mr. Benn[_4_] January 7th 11 09:41 AM

Should pedestrians wear helmets?

"Doug" wrote in message

With the number of cyclists illegally using pavements these days, it would
probably be a good idea for pedestrians to wear a helmet. Personally, I'd
find a baseball bat more helpful to reduce risk of injury to myself when
using the pavement.

Derek C January 7th 11 11:11 AM

On Jan 7, 7:06*am, Doug wrote:

BTW, when I was struck by a car as a child I too had a fracture at the
base of my skull but was lucky enough not to die from it, unlike this
vulnerable road victim.

It sounds as though Doug might benefit from wearing a pedestrian
helmet, as he seems to be accident prone!

bugbear January 7th 11 12:01 PM

Mrcheerful wrote:
Doug wrote:
Notice too the problem caused by parked cars which led to her death.

Many pedestrians are like many cyclists, they think that the highway code
does not apply to their use of the roads.
Strangely this attitude of 'I am right, because I am old' seems to get worse
with increasing age.

So how old are you?

BugBear