CycleBanter.com

-   -   A patching dilemma... (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=79974)

Matt O'Toole January 2nd 05 09:47 PM

A patching dilemma...

How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits come with a
bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones. The larger ones don't fit
on road tubes without wrapping around them, so it's hard to get a good bond all
the way around, to keep the edges from peeling. I haven't had one fail in
awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these in bulk, and
sell me a bunch? I'm sick of paying $4.00 for a patch kit with 2 good patches
in it, and a bunch of crap I'll never use.

Also, is it better to remove the plastic, leave it on, or leave it on as the
patch cures but take it off before using the tube? I do let my patches cure
overnight whenever possible.

Matt O.

RonSonic January 2nd 05 10:03 PM

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:47:42 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" wrote:

How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits come with a
bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones. The larger ones don't fit
on road tubes without wrapping around them, so it's hard to get a good bond all
the way around, to keep the edges from peeling. I haven't had one fail in
awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these in bulk, and
sell me a bunch? I'm sick of paying $4.00 for a patch kit with 2 good patches
in it, and a bunch of crap I'll never use.

Scissors. - OR - Want a nice feathered edge, lick an Xacto and use that to cut
on a bevel.

Maybe lick your finger and use that to lube the blade.

Ron

bfd January 2nd 05 10:08 PM

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits come
with a
bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones. The larger ones don't
fit
on road tubes without wrapping around them, so it's hard to get a good
bond all
the way around, to keep the edges from peeling. I haven't had one fail in
awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these in
bulk, and
sell me a bunch? I'm sick of paying $4.00 for a patch kit with 2 good
patches
in it, and a bunch of crap I'll never use.

Matt,

A couple of options:

Innovations 20mm tire patches box of 100 for about $18:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...m_id =IN-9028

or Rema 1" (about 25mm?) tire patches, box of 100 for $14.75:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...em_id =RE-F1P

Third Hand has Rema 1" patches, box of 100 for $13.37:
http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cg...d=986571315409

Also, is it better to remove the plastic, leave it on, or leave it on as
the
patch cures but take it off before using the tube? I do let my patches
cure
overnight whenever possible.

I usually take the plastic off. Jobst also talks about this in the Bicycle
FAQ (now updated, with pictures, by Sheldon Brown):

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/patching.html

[email protected] January 2nd 05 10:24 PM

Hi Matt
Bike tools Etc sells 100 small Ream for a very reasonable price ~$15.
I do believe that they have a shelf life, although I don't know what it
is. I've been hesitating to buy 100 because of this. Would you be
interested in splitting or thirding 100? Where do you live? I'm in the
SF Bay Area.
John

Werehatrack January 3rd 05 12:23 AM

wrote:

How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits come with a
bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones. The larger ones don't fit
on road tubes without wrapping around them, so it's hard to get a good bond all
the way around, to keep the edges from peeling. I haven't had one fail in
awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these in bulk, and
sell me a bunch? I'm sick of paying $4.00 for a patch kit with 2 good patches
in it, and a bunch of crap I'll never use.

I just buy the large package of them from the auto parts store and cut
the larger ones into smaller pieces. The smaller ones in the kit
(about one inch square) are near to ideal for the majority of my
patching, but even they are a tad large on a road tube.

Alternately...

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=643283426177

alias

http://tinyurl.com/4trsp

or, if those are too big...

http://tinyurl.com/4h2k6

Also, is it better to remove the plastic, leave it on, or leave it on as the
patch cures but take it off before using the tube? I do let my patches cure
overnight whenever possible.

My personal preference is to peel the non-glue-side plastic before
placing the patch, but I do not believe that it actually makes a
difference whether that's done before or after patch placement.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Mark Janeba January 3rd 05 01:15 AM

wrote:
Hi Matt
Bike tools Etc sells 100 small Ream for a very reasonable price ~$15.
I do believe that they have a shelf life, although I don't know what it
is. I've been hesitating to buy 100 because of this.

I'm on my second or third 100-box of Rema patches (it's been quite a few
years). They work pretty much the same now as when new.

One annoyance: In the latest box I bought (probably 15 years ago), the
foil peels off before the cellophane. (From the day I got the box) I
just catch a corner with a fingernail and peel away; it leaves an
annoying (but harmless) munged part on the edge of the patch.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem with Rema patches? I don't
remember it from the last box (but after 15 years, memory fades).

As for "glue" or vulcanizing fluid - I tried buying that in bulk, and it
definitely did NOT have shelf life. Now I go to a dept. store and buy
the cheapest patch kits I can, about $1.50, pitch the patches and use
the glue. I think I'm still far ahead overall in the cost of patching
supplies.

Mark Janeba

Paul Kopit January 3rd 05 01:28 AM

wrote:

How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits come with a
bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones. The larger ones don't fit
on road tubes without wrapping around them, so it's hard to get a good bond all
the way around, to keep the edges from peeling. I haven't had one fail in
awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these in bulk, and
sell me a bunch? I'm sick of paying $4.00 for a patch kit with 2 good patches
in it, and a bunch of crap I'll never use.

Also, is it better to remove the plastic, leave it on, or leave it on as the
patch cures but take it off before using the tube? I do let my patches cure
overnight whenever possible.

You local shop should be able to get you a box of 100 small patches
that are made by Innovations. I think that Innovations also has a
patch kit with 6 small patches only.

I never bother to take the plastic off. Usually, it just seems to
fall off by itself or disintegrate over time.

[email protected] January 3rd 05 01:34 AM

Mark, Ya Know, that's interesting.
I get a little nib about 1/2 the time. I've always thought it was
something I was doing wrong, but I'm not sure what. I try to leave the
clear plastic on even after mounting the tube, but it usually falls off
before. The hardest part for me is getting the patch centered. I've
developed a method to do that, but it takes too long. And yes I use
talcum powder, despite highly regarded advice to the contrary.
John

Antti Salonen January 3rd 05 02:12 AM

Matt O'Toole wrote:

How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits
come with a bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones.
The larger ones don't fit on road tubes without wrapping around them,
so it's hard to get a good bond all the way around, to keep the edges
from peeling. I haven't had one fail in awhile, but smaller patches
would be better.

Rema patches are available in a special kit for road bikes, which has
patches smaller than usual. The box has four round patches of about 3/4
inches and two larger ones. What you want is a black box, model "TT 04",
instead of the more common cyan one. I got mine from he

http://www.starbike.com/php/suchen.p...hSubmit=Search

-as