CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Speedplay v. Time (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=66063)

Bob M August 22nd 04 08:06 PM

Speedplay v. Time

I just bought Time pedals again after having Speedplay. My thoughts:

Time:

Positives: good, easy engagement; nice "click" in and out; I like the
wider/longer platform; the cleats aren't hard to walk on; the cleats get
ride of mud/dirt relatively easily and it doesn't take a while to clip in
after going through dirt.

Negatives: not as much float as Speedplay; sometimes I can feel the pedal
in a way that I didn't with Speedplay.

Speedplay:

Positives: great float; the pedals disappear.

Negatives: I had a very hard time getting these to engage under the best
of circumstances. Sometimes it would take me 0.6 miles (yes, I looked) to
get the pedals to click in. One time, I rode about 20 miles with one
cleat clicked out, as it simply would not click in. If I went in mud or
dirt, it was impossible to get clicked in with any dirt on the cleat. In
AZ, I never went in the dirt, so this would be a non-issue. In CT, I go
in the dirt all the time, so this is very important. The "click" sound
from these isn't pronounced. Many times, I had no idea whether I was
clicked in or not until I pulled up.

General notes: The cleat life for Speedplays for me was terrible: less
than one season of riding in CT. For Times, I don't know what the cleat
life will be. I know that platform size isn't supposed to matter, but the
larger platform of the Times just seems better to me. (I did also buy
Time shoes, though.) The bonus is that I bought Time shoes AND Time
impact pedals for about the cost of the Speedplay X/2s.

In AZ, I'd take either pedal, although I lean toward Time even in good
weather. In CT, I simply have to choose Time over Speedplay as I go
through so much dirt and other crap that I could never get the Speedplays
to work well without cleaning every time I go into the woods or through a
puddle or through grass. Unfortunately, I have to go through a lot of
that stuff just to get my bike from my house to the road. So, I'm
constantly cleaning the cleat on Speedplays or just riding not clicked in.

--
Bob M
remove ".x" to reply

dreaded August 23rd 04 02:29 AM

"Bob M" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

hey thanks for the write-up. i've had early spd's, looks, and now have
eggbeaters. i swap the eggs back and forth between my mtb and commuter
bikes. once the cleats got broken-in they are great. i've never -not been
able to click in, and only once could i not click out in time (on a very
steep hill in too high a gear i popped the chain off and fell over before i
could get the cleat to dinengage-it was apparently quite amusing for the
passing motorist), although i like the idea of having a larger platform
(plantar fasciitis).
-alan

the black rose August 23rd 04 10:39 PM

dreaded wrote:
although i like the idea of having a larger platform
(plantar fasciitis).

So larger platforms help with that? I've had some trouble with plantar
fasciitis in the past and *must* wear orthotically correct footwear
because of it, so that's good to know. Makes sense. My next bike is
gonna have clipless pedals, so the info helps, thanks.

And, I agree, great write-up, Bob.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

SWEETRIDE4ME August 24th 04 08:11 PM

Bob M Wrote:
I just bought Time pedals again after having Speedplay. My thoughts

Time

Positives: good, easy engagement; nice "click" in and out; I like th
wider/longer platform; the cleats aren't hard to walk on; the cleat
ge
ride of mud/dirt relatively easily and it doesn't take a while to cli
after going through dirt

Negatives: not as much float as Speedplay; sometimes I can feel th
peda
in a way that I didn't with Speedplay

Speedplay

Positives: great float; the pedals disappear

Negatives: I had a very hard time getting these to engage under th
bes
of circumstances. Sometimes it would take me 0.6 miles (yes, I looked
get the pedals to click in. One time, I rode about 20 miles with on
cleat clicked out, as it simply would not click in. If I went in mud o
dirt, it was impossible to get clicked in with any dirt on the cleat
AZ, I never went in the dirt, so this would be a non-issue. In CT, I g
in the dirt all the time, so this is very important. The "click" soun
from these isn't pronounced. Many times, I had no idea whether I wa
clicked in or not until I pulled up

General notes: The cleat life for Speedplays for me was terrible: les
than one season of riding in CT. For Times, I don't know what the clea
life will be. I know that platform size isn't supposed to matter, bu
th
larger platform of the Times just seems better to me. (I did also bu
Time shoes, though.) The bonus is that I bought Time shoes AND Tim
impact pedals for about the cost of the Speedplay X/2s

In AZ, I'd take either pedal, although I lean toward Time even in goo
weather. In CT, I simply have to choose Time over Speedplay as I g
through so much dirt and other crap that I could never get th
Speedplay
to work well without cleaning every time I go into the woods or throug

puddle or through grass. Unfortunately, I have to go through a lot o
that stuff just to get my bike from my house to the road. So, I'
constantly cleaning the cleat on Speedplays or just riding not clicke
in

-
Bob
remove ".x" to reply

BOB if you are mountain biking you should have tried the speedplay fro
system not the x/2 it's designed for mountain biking and the dirt, i
also has a recessed cleat to eliminate the quick wear factor

--
SWEETRIDE4ME