CycleBanter.com

-   -   Finish line vs. Shimano brake oil? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=210575)

Colin B.[_2_] October 22nd 09 06:33 PM

Finish line vs. Shimano brake oil?

Hey all;

Does anyone have any opinions on Finish Line's mineral oil for Shimano
brakes? The (crappy) Shimano M485 brakes on my bike get impossibly stiff
in the winter, and I'm looking for something that maintains a lower
viscosity below freezing.

Thanks,
Colin

thirty-six October 22nd 09 07:31 PM

On 22 Oct, 18:33, "Colin B." wrote:
Hey all;

Does anyone have any opinions on Finish Line's mineral oil for Shimano
brakes? The (crappy) Shimano M485 brakes on my bike get impossibly stiff
in the winter, and I'm looking for something that maintains a lower
viscosity below freezing.

Heet ? A suggestion, not an answer.

Norman October 22nd 09 08:44 PM

On Oct 22, 1:33*pm, "Colin B." wrote:
Hey all;

Does anyone have any opinions on Finish Line's mineral oil for Shimano
brakes? The (crappy) Shimano M485 brakes on my bike get impossibly stiff
in the winter, and I'm looking for something that maintains a lower
viscosity below freezing.

I'm not dreadfully familiar with the application, but
if the seals, gaskets, & o-rings are oil-safe (I would
tend to assume so from the mineral oil bit) you could
try something like mobil-1 0W-20, or even just some
nice, thin sewing machine oil (should be $8 to $13 a
gallon at any industrial sewing machine shop).

You could also do what the old Chevrolet truck manuals
suggested and mix 10% kerosene in your oil for winter.
We were crazy back in the 1940s like that.

Colin B.[_2_] October 22nd 09 09:40 PM

Norman wrote:
On Oct 22, 1:33?pm, "Colin B." wrote:
Hey all;

Does anyone have any opinions on Finish Line's mineral oil for Shimano
brakes? The (crappy) Shimano M485 brakes on my bike get impossibly stiff
in the winter, and I'm looking for something that maintains a lower
viscosity below freezing.

I'm not dreadfully familiar with the application, but
if the seals, gaskets, & o-rings are oil-safe (I would
tend to assume so from the mineral oil bit) you could
try something like mobil-1 0W-20, or even just some
nice, thin sewing machine oil (should be $8 to $13 a
gallon at any industrial sewing machine shop).

Well, there are lots of alternatives. Finish Line is one, RedLine's
synthetic shock fluids are _apparently_ safe on the seals, and very
selectable. Pentosin (I think) makes stuff that people have been
using successfully for a while. I'm mostly curious about first-hand
experience with how these deal with low temperatures, so I'll have a
starting point. (Bleeding brakes in an unheated garage in October through
April is not something I want to do repeatedly).

You could also do what the old Chevrolet truck manuals
suggested and mix 10% kerosene in your oil for winter.
We were crazy back in the 1940s like that.

I'm pretty sure that a small amount of kerosene would eat the brake
seals in a hurry.

Thanks,
Colin