CycleBanter.com

-   Racing (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Alexi Grewal: worst teammate ever (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=223559)

Ryan Cousineau December 9th 10 12:58 AM

Alexi Grewal: worst teammate ever

In his own, awesome words:

http://www.alexigrewal.com/index.php...olympics-in-la

" I was not thinking what I could do to help Davis, I was thinking how
I could use the situation to work all my rivals against each other"

"Phinney was wearing a skin suit.... The skinsuit was information I
filed away. Only one pocket was sewn into it and we faced a hot,
hilly two hundred kilometer race. One feed zone per lap on a
downhill, right near the start finish, wearing a skin suit with one
pocket was to rely on the unreliable."

"Two laps to go Davis asks me for food. I lied, said I don’t have
any, I justified it in my mind by thinking I might need it myself."

....and much more, very entertaining stuff, not just about hiding food
from the team leader, but also about his tactical choices, and how he
saw the race.

I did a cursory search, and haven't seen a post in rbr that breaks
down 1984 Olympic road race race to this extent. Grewal's explanation
is as fascinating as it is Machiavellian.

There's more goodies in the rest of the site, including his story of
spitting on the camera man.

I remind you this reinforces my "amateur bike racing is awesome"
theory, since in 1984 this was an amateurs-only race.

drmofe December 9th 10 01:12 AM

Alexi Grewal: worst teammate ever

"That's bike racing"

H. Fred Kveck December 9th 10 02:10 AM

Alexi Grewal: worst teammate ever

In article ,
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In his own, awesome words:

http://www.alexigrewal.com/index.php...he-olympics-in
-la

" I was not thinking what I could do to help Davis, I was thinking how
I could use the situation to work all my rivals against each other"

"Phinney was wearing a skin suit.... The skinsuit was information I
filed away. Only one pocket was sewn into it and we faced a hot,
hilly two hundred kilometer race. One feed zone per lap on a
downhill, right near the start finish, wearing a skin suit with one
pocket was to rely on the unreliable."

"Two laps to go Davis asks me for food. I lied, said I donąt have
any, I justified it in my mind by thinking I might need it myself."

...and much more, very entertaining stuff, not just about hiding food
from the team leader, but also about his tactical choices, and how he
saw the race.

I did a cursory search, and haven't seen a post in rbr that breaks
down 1984 Olympic road race race to this extent. Grewal's explanation
is as fascinating as it is Machiavellian.

There's more goodies in the rest of the site, including his story of
spitting on the camera man.

I remind you this reinforces my "amateur bike racing is awesome"
theory, since in 1984 this was an amateurs-only race.

He did what all top level racers (particularly motorcycle racers) know to do: The
person you most have to beat is your team mate. His explanations of how he did it was
pretty fascinating - the guy did not miss a single thing.

Fredmaster of Brainerd December 9th 10 02:34 AM

On Dec 8, 6:10*pm, "H. Fred Kveck" wrote:
*Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I did a cursory search, and haven't seen a post in rbr that breaks
down 1984 Olympic road race race to this extent. Grewal's explanation
is as fascinating as it is Machiavellian.

* *He did what all top level racers (particularly motorcycle racers) know to do: The
person you most have to beat is your team mate. His explanations of how he did it was
pretty fascinating - the guy did not miss a single thing.

Damn.
That's intense.
You know it's good when Scottsmack posts up and
just says "wow."

Fredmaster Ben

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni. December 9th 10 03:07 AM

On Dec 8, 3:58*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I remind you this reinforces my "amateur bike racing is awesome"
theory, since in 1984 this was an amateurs-only race.

Dumbass -

I was too greedy (regarding teamwork) in two races and I regret it
both times. It didn't work out.

It's better to work with or for your teamates.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

William R. Mattil December 9th 10 03:09 AM

On 12/8/2010 5:58 PM, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In his own, awesome words:

http://www.alexigrewal.com/index.php...olympics-in-la

Good read. Thanks for posting the link.

Regards

Bill

--

William R. Mattil

http://www.celestial-images.com

DirtRoadie December 9th 10 03:19 AM

Alexi Grewal: worst teammate ever

On Dec 8, 7:07*pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
wrote:
On Dec 8, 3:58*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I remind you this reinforces my "amateur bike racing is awesome"
theory, since in 1984 this was an amateurs-only race.

Dumbass -

I was too greedy (regarding teamwork) in two races and I regret it
both times. It didn't work out.

It's better to work with or for your teamates.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Dumbass,
Which Olympics were those in?
DR

Plano Dude December 9th 10 03:45 AM

http://www.alexigrewal.com/index.php...uit-aka-the-ol...

Good read. Thanks for posting the link.

Regards

Bill

--

William R. Mattil

http://www.celestial-images.com

Hindsight is 20/20. This smacks of jealousy for the golden boys of US
cycling at the time - the 7-Eleven team.

Interestingly, there are similarities to the 1982 pro road race in
Goodwood England

http://velonews.competitor.com/2005/...82-worlds_8043

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni. December 9th 10 03:58 AM

wrote:
On Dec 8, 3:58*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I remind you this reinforces my "amateur bike racing is awesome"
theory, since in 1984 this was an amateurs-only race.

Dumbass -

I was too greedy (regarding teamwork) in two races and I regret it
both times. It didn't work out.

It's better to work with or for your teamates.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Dumbass,
Which Olympics were those in?

Dumbass -

The Special Olympics.

DirtRoadie December 9th 10 04:04 AM

Alexi Grewal: worst teammate ever

wrote:
On Dec 8, 3:58*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I remind you this reinforces my "amateur bike racing is awesome"
theory, since in 1984 this was an amateurs-only race.

Dumbass -

I was too greedy (regarding teamwork) in two races and I regret it
both times. It didn't work out.

It's better to work with or for your teamates.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Dumbass,
Which Olympics were those in?

Dumbass -

The Special Olympics.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

But you can at least take consolation that, just by competing,
EVERYBODY wins in the Special Olympics.
DR