CycleBanter.com

-   -   "Sorry mate, sorry mate, sorry mate" (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=144277)

Mike Causer September 4th 06 10:49 PM

"Sorry mate, sorry mate, sorry mate"

"Sorry mate, sorry mate, sorry mate". The traveller was genuinely
apologetic that one of his dogs had given me a bite on the ankle so gentle
that I couldn't feel it. It must have been the grip she used for picking
up pups. I assured him I wasn't hurt at all, and waved as I carried on.

Good job the /other/ one was on a chain though, judging by the noise it
made.

Funnily enough the only dog bite I've ever had that drew blood was from a
local farmer's dog that we thought was getting used to me going by on
bikes. Stand talking for 15 minutes (to farmer, not dog), then stretch
out a fist for him to sniff (dog, not farmer). We were wrong.

Mike

[email protected] September 5th 06 03:12 PM

"Sorry mate, sorry mate, sorry mate"

Also was bitten on January 3rd this year. The two dogs owners were not
to be seen.

One ran down barked at me, the other then ran down the hill, both
looked at me and ran, and started going nuts. I turned the bike around
and tried to pedal away. One grabbed my calf, the other grabbed the
calf. I cycled with the two of them attached to me. Luckily they let go
when I started to go a bit faster. :(

Horribly scary.

For any Glaswegian cyclists it was just at the start of the cycle path
from Rutherglen Bridge, where Shawfield Stadium is, to Dalmarnock
Bridge.

wheelist September 5th 06 03:33 PM

"Sorry mate, sorry mate, sorry mate"

Wrote:
One grabbed my calf, the other grabbed the calf.You wouldn't happen to have a video of this, would you? ;o)

Steve

--
wheelist

Dylan Smith September 18th 06 02:28 PM

On 2006-09-05, wrote:
calf. I cycled with the two of them attached to me. Luckily they let go
when I started to go a bit faster. :(

I find waving my pump at them (which handily extends when I pull it off
the frame) in a threatening manner usually makes them turn tail. Most of
them are cowards if it looks like they are going to get walloped.

The only one that actually bit me was a giant bear of a dog. When it did
(I was about 16, and cycling back from the shops wearing jeans), it
didn't really hurt but I was so angry I shouted at the bloody animal and
it quickly backed off and ran home, tail between legs. (That one was a
farm dog, I'd seen it many times before when going by the farm gates -
which were normally closed).

Oolite-Linux: an Elite tribute:
http://oolite-linux.berlios.de

Rob Morley September 18th 06 03:07 PM

"Sorry mate, sorry mate, sorry mate"

In article
On 2006-09-05, wrote:
calf. I cycled with the two of them attached to me. Luckily they let go
when I started to go a bit faster. :(

I find waving my pump at them (which handily extends when I pull it off
the frame) in a threatening manner usually makes them turn tail. Most of
them are cowards if it looks like they are going to get walloped.

Or maybe they think you're going to throw it for them so they can fetch
it back :-)

John Clayton September 18th 06 06:23 PM

"Sorry mate, sorry mate, sorry mate"

Part way up Ewden Bank on Strines Moor Road is Clancy's Farm. They have a
small terrier type dog that sometimes attaches itself to your ankle.
it's done me and a club mate.

Strange thing is he was in a group of (perhaps) 400 others doing last years
"Phil and friends" thing. Perhaps it only goes for blokes from Wakefield?

--
John Clayton
www.calder-clarion.co.uk