CycleBanter.com

-   -   What is the point of tubeless tires? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=256977)

[email protected] January 12th 19 05:11 AM

What is the point of tubeless tires?

Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing riders?

John B. Slocomb January 12th 19 05:43 AM

What is the point of tubeless tires?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 21:11:33 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing riders?

The people that have discussed them here seem to think that they don't
get punctures, or if they do they are self-sealing.

I believe some tubeless are heavier then a good folding tire and tube
and they seem to require wheels made specifically for tubeless tires.

cheers,

John B.

[email protected] January 12th 19 09:19 AM

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 6:11:35 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing riders?

You can run lower pressures without the chance of a pinchflat, there is nothing to pinch. This can be usefull off road when you want lower pressure for traction. Otherwise they don't solve any problem IMHO. Personally I can't be bothered with the hassle.

Lou

Tosspot[_3_] January 12th 19 10:31 AM

On 1/12/19 6:11 AM, wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they
solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing
riders?

Save a bit of weight, and puncture resistance (or at least self
sealing), the valve seems to be less of a week point as well. I've
considered them for commuting with Marathon Supremes, but in the end,
the hassle of making my non-tubeless rims tubeless was a smidgin to much.

To look at it another way, to make the Marathon Supremes puncture[1]
resistance would need adding 'slime', so why not remove the tube at the
same time?

[1] My puncture rate was one every 500kms on these.

AMuzi January 12th 19 03:10 PM

On 1/11/2019 11:11 PM, wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing riders?

The Ethos of Sales:

"The crap we sold you last year is no good. Here's the new
one."

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Tosspot[_3_] January 12th 19 03:45 PM

On 1/12/19 4:10 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/11/2019 11:11 PM, wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they
solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing
riders?

The Ethos of Sales:

"The crap we sold you last year is no good. Here's the new one."

You wouldn't really be driving a Model-T rather than a 7-series would you?

JBeattie January 12th 19 04:07 PM

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 7:10:12 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/11/2019 11:11 PM, wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing riders?

The Ethos of Sales:

"The crap we sold you last year is no good. Here's the new
one."

Dude, are you planning your own commercial demise? Get on board! As TK points out, if you live in goathead-ville, tubeless is great, and RR is better than slime-filled tubes in armored tires. Joerg should go tubeless, and in the MTB world, tubeless is king. I get enough plumbing and goopy fluids with Shimano hydraulic discs and probably will pass on tubeless, but OTOH, riding in rain and having little pieces of glass fret through my tires gets old, and tubeless might be just what I need. Next year -- or maybe the year after that.

-- Jay Beattie.

AMuzi January 12th 19 04:51 PM

On 1/12/2019 9:45 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 1/12/19 4:10 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/11/2019 11:11 PM, wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What
problem do they
solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for
non-racing
riders?

The Ethos of Sales:

"The crap we sold you last year is no good. Here's the
new one."

You wouldn't really be driving a Model-T rather than a
7-series would you?

All my cars are 1965.
No safety, no chinese electronics, no EPA, no nuffin'.

Model T are a real handful but I would certainly choose a
Model A over a BMW7 any day.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] January 12th 19 05:39 PM

On 1/12/19 4:10 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/11/2019 11:11 PM, wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What
problem do they
Â*solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for
non-racing
Â*riders?

The Ethos of Sales:

"The crap we sold you last year is no good.Â* Here's the
new one."

You wouldn't really be driving a Model-T rather than a
7-series would you?

All my cars are 1965.
No safety, no chinese electronics, no EPA, no nuffin'.

Model T are a real handful but I would certainly choose a Model A over a
BMW7 any day.

+1

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski[_4_] January 12th 19 05:46 PM

On 1/12/2019 12:11 AM, wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing riders?

Part of the point is "churning." Bikes and bike parts are a super-mature
industry, and bikes and their products last decades. (My favorite bike
is from 1986.) So the industry tries to come up with new ideas every
year, just to entice you to buy _something_.

Going back to the 1970s, it was "Ten speeds!" then "Touring bikes!" then
"Aluminum!" then "Mountain bikes!" ... and on and on, with front
suspension, full suspension, 6 speeds, 7 speeds, 8 & 9 & 10 & 11 speeds,
carbon fiber, electronic shifting etc. It goes on forever.

Currently it's disc brakes, tubeless tires and "gravel bikes." For
almost everyone who rides a bicycle, the improvements (if any) are
almost undetectable. We are deeply into diminishing returns, no matter
what miracles the supposed connoisseurs claim.

Just ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski