CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Please be considerate of oncoming cyclists at night (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=256735)

[email protected] November 1st 18 11:03 PM

Please be considerate of oncoming cyclists at night

I'm a bike commuter in the Seattle area. Its dark when I leave work for home. Fortunately, I ride almost the entire 15 miles on paved bike and pedestrian trails.

This week I nearly mowed down two pedestrians walking in my direction because I was blinded by an oncoming cyclist who wouldn't cover his light. Either he didn't care that he was blinding me, or he was oblivious.

Either way, I covered my light, as I always do, and I was blinded by his light. I saw the walkers at the last second and swerved off the paved trail onto the grass.

So, this posting is in the way of a plea to those riding at night. Please cover your light when you see an oncoming cyclist.

arnie

Duane[_4_] November 2nd 18 12:32 AM

wrote:
I'm a bike commuter in the Seattle area. Its dark when I leave work for
home. Fortunately, I ride almost the entire 15 miles on paved bike and pedestrian trails.

This week I nearly mowed down two pedestrians walking in my direction
because I was blinded by an oncoming cyclist who wouldn't cover his
light. Either he didn't care that he was blinding me, or he was oblivious.

Either way, I covered my light, as I always do, and I was blinded by his
light. I saw the walkers at the last second and swerved off the paved
trail onto the grass.

So, this posting is in the way of a plea to those riding at night. Please
cover your light when you see an oncoming cyclist.

arnie

+1

But having been blinded by bike lights when walking on park paths at night,
I would say to cover your light when you see anyone coming. Having people
walking around the path after destroying their night vision
Is pretty rude.
--
duane

Frank Krygowski[_4_] November 2nd 18 03:07 AM

On 11/1/2018 7:32 PM, Duane wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I would say buy a good StVZO compliant headlamp, with a beam designed to
throw light on the pavement where it's needed, not into the eyes of
other road users. Ditch the primitive round beam trash that most
cyclists use.

Good StVZO headlamps illuminate the pavement better, they don't have hot
spots that ruin your night vision, they are more efficient with their
use of electricity, and they don't blind other users.

It's beyond me why cyclists demand good design and high efficiency in
all other bike hardware, but put up with headlamps that are as crude as
stone age hammers.

--
- Frank Krygowski