CycleBanter.com

-   -   Cyclist riding on a promenade gets her come-uppance (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257634)

MrCheerful July 3rd 19 07:37 AM

Cyclist riding on a promenade gets her come-uppance

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

Modesty July 3rd 19 03:58 PM

MrCheerful wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

What 'come-uppance' did this 63 year old lady deserve? Promenades
often have cycle lanes.

Simon Jester July 3rd 19 04:10 PM

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 3:58:45 PM UTC+1, Modesty wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

What 'come-uppance' did this 63 year old lady deserve? Promenades
often have cycle lanes.

Even if cycling was prohibited, which is not the case here, it still would not justify attempted murder.

jnugent July 3rd 19 05:12 PM

On 03/07/2019 15:58, Modesty wrote:

MrCheerful wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

What 'come-uppance' did this 63 year old lady deserve? Promenades
often have cycle lanes.

It might be easier to feel increased outrage on her behalf if one knew
whether or not cycling is allowed on that particular promenade.

I remember that the promenade from Seacombe to New Brighton (old Borough
of Wallasey, Cheshire, as was) was off limits to all vehicles, including
bicycles. This was mystifyingly so even though the carriageway was and
presumably still is about thirty feet wide with wide footways on each
side. We were never prosecuted for cycling the only route we knew from
the Seacombe Ferry to New Brighton, but we felt the lash of the
collective tongue of the Cheshire Constabulary on more than one occasion.

Mind you, we were only kids.

Simon Jester July 3rd 19 05:25 PM

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 5:12:11 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

It might be easier to feel increased outrage on her behalf if one knew
whether or not cycling is allowed on that particular promenade.

You have it the wrong way round. Pedal cycles can be ridden anywhere cycling is not prohibited.

I remember that the promenade from Seacombe to New Brighton (old Borough
of Wallasey, Cheshire, as was) was off limits to all vehicles, including
bicycles. This was mystifyingly so even though the carriageway was and
presumably still is about thirty feet wide with wide footways on each
side. We were never prosecuted for cycling the only route we knew from
the Seacombe Ferry to New Brighton, but we felt the lash of the
collective tongue of the Cheshire Constabulary on more than one occasion.

And now cyclists can use that promenade.
It did not someone stretching a rope across it and seriously injuring a cyclist.
You can find the thread where the incident was discussed on this newsgroup if you want to.

Mind you, we were only kids.

Does being a kid justify attempted murder?

PS I'm not talking about you so please leave the goalposts where they are.

Simon Jester July 3rd 19 05:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uhhBM67-I

MrCheerful July 3rd 19 05:37 PM

MrCheerful wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

What 'come-uppance' did this 63 year old lady deserve? Promenades
often have cycle lanes.

It might be easier to feel increased outrage on her behalf if one knew
whether or not cycling is allowed on that particular promenade.

I remember that the promenade from Seacombe to New Brighton (old Borough
of Wallasey, Cheshire, as was) was off limits to all vehicles, including
bicycles. This was mystifyingly so even though the carriageway was and
presumably still is about thirty feet wide with wide footways on each
side. We were never prosecuted for cycling the only route we knew from
the Seacombe Ferry to New Brighton, but we felt the lash of the
collective tongue of the Cheshire Constabulary on more than one occasion.

Mind you, we were only kids.

There is 'No Cycling' writ large upon the ground.

MrCheerful July 3rd 19 05:40 PM

MrCheerful wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

What 'come-uppance' did this 63 year old lady deserve? Promenades
often have cycle lanes.

Promenade means walk.

In this particular case they even have 'No cycling' painted across the
width of the promenade. Probably the cyclist is a local and so should
be fully aware of the restriction.

Simon Jester July 3rd 19 06:13 PM

MrCheerful wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

What 'come-uppance' did this 63 year old lady deserve? Promenades
often have cycle lanes.

Promenade means walk.

In this particular case they even have 'No cycling' painted across the
width of the promenade. Probably the cyclist is a local and so should
be fully aware of the restriction.

Does that justify attempted murder?
Can I stand on a motorway bridge and drop bricks into the windscreens of speeding motorists?