CycleBanter.com

-   -   No motor vehicles except lawnmowers (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257761)

Simon Jester July 21st 19 04:19 PM

No motor vehicles except lawnmowers

The local bypass was closed yesterday so the council could mow the grass and trim the hedges.
Was this because they feared the workers would be endangered by speeding cyclists?
We are often told cyclists cause more danger to pedestrians than motorists.

jnugent July 21st 19 04:28 PM

On 21/07/2019 16:19, Simon Jester wrote:

The local bypass was closed yesterday so the council could mow the grass and trim the hedges.
Was this because they feared the workers would be endangered by speeding cyclists?
We are often told cyclists cause more danger to pedestrians than motorists.

Elf'n'Safety, innit?

Some blame it on the EU. I think of Italian road maintenance gangs - on
the *autostrada* - "protected" within a single closed lane by those
little two-dimensional plastic "cones" about a foot high and know it
can't be the EU's doing.

Simon Jester July 21st 19 05:43 PM

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 4:28:03 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 21/07/2019 16:19, Simon Jester wrote:

The local bypass was closed yesterday so the council could mow the grass and trim the hedges.
Was this because they feared the workers would be endangered by speeding cyclists?
We are often told cyclists cause more danger to pedestrians than motorists.

Elf'n'Safety, innit?

What were the Elfin Safety people afraid of?
Pedestrians?
Equestrians?
cyclists?

No, it is 'law abiding' motorists.

Given that motorists never break the law and always obey the basic rule of being able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear, why not just cone off the relevant lane as necessary? If necessary the speed limit could be lowered to 20mph therefore ensuring no motor vehicle would exceed 20mph.

jnugent July 21st 19 05:48 PM

On 21/07/2019 17:43, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 4:28:03 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 21/07/2019 16:19, Simon Jester wrote:

The local bypass was closed yesterday so the council could mow the grass and trim the hedges.
Was this because they feared the workers would be endangered by speeding cyclists?
We are often told cyclists cause more danger to pedestrians than motorists.

Elf'n'Safety, innit?

What were the Elfin Safety people afraid of?

In the UK, they are afraid of criticism for not being anal enough, of
course.

Referring to the rest of my post which you decided to snip, have you
ever *been* to Italy?

jnugent July 21st 19 08:09 PM

On 21/07/2019 17:59, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 5:48:55 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 21/07/2019 17:43, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 4:28:03 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 21/07/2019 16:19, Simon Jester wrote:

The local bypass was closed yesterday so the council could mow the grass and trim the hedges.
Was this because they feared the workers would be endangered by speeding cyclists?
We are often told cyclists cause more danger to pedestrians than motorists.

Elf'n'Safety, innit?

What were the Elfin Safety people afraid of?

In the UK, they are afraid of criticism for not being anal enough, of
course.

Referring to the rest of my post which you decided to snip, have you
ever *been* to Italy?

YAWN, no comment.

So you haven't.

Your loss.

Simon Jester July 22nd 19 12:18 AM

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 8:09:34 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Just because one of the Nurses allowed you to order a Pizza does not mean you have been to Italy.
BTW Pizza is a peasant food.

jnugent July 22nd 19 02:33 AM

On 22/07/2019 00:18, Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

Oh, I *am* sorry to hear about your poor health and your hospital stay.

Is your stay voluntary or, as seems more likely, involuntary and
indeterminate in length?

BTW Pizza is a peasant food.

The nurses obviously have you sussed, then.