CycleBanter.com

-   -   Cyclist on wrong side of the road (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257883)

GB[_5_] August 7th 19 10:53 AM

Cyclist on wrong side of the road

I was driving up a steep hill and round a fairly blind curve. Down the
hill and on MY side of the road came a cyclist on a red Uber electric
bike. I could stop easily in the distance I could view ahead, but I
wasn't catering for a combined closing speed of 50MPH on a suburban
road. Somehow she just missed me, but there was no hint of an apology.
There was nothing at all on her side of the road, of course.

If she continues riding like that, I'm hoping that she has an organ
donor card on her, so some good may come of it.

jnugent August 7th 19 02:35 PM

On 07/08/2019 10:53, GB wrote:

I was driving up a steep hill and round a fairly blind curve. Down the
hill and on MY side of the road came a cyclist on a red Uber electric
bike. I could stop easily in the distance I could view ahead, but I
wasn't catering for a combined closing speed of 50MPH on a suburban
road. Somehow she just missed me, but there was no hint of an apology.
There was nothing at all on her side of the road, of course.

If she continues riding like that, I'm hoping that she has an organ
donor card on her, so some good may come of it.

It's fairly certain that she will have had a very good reason for doing
what she did and that it will have been the fault of some "motorist", as
many regulars here like to call drivers.

No doubt one of them will be along shortly to show how it was someone
else's fault (and in the circumstances, probably yours).

If not, it may indicate that at last, some of them are learning the
truth: that too many (these days, the majority of) cyclists are scofflaw
chavs with no notion of responsibility to others.

TMS320 August 7th 19 06:00 PM

On 07/08/2019 14:35, JNugent wrote:

It's fairly certain that she will have had a very good reason for
doing what she did and that it will have been the fault of some
"motorist", as many regulars here like to call drivers.

If you want 'cyclists', you have to put with 'motorists'.

No doubt one of them will be along shortly to show how it was
someone else's fault (and in the circumstances, probably yours).

What outcome put somebody at fault?

If not, it may indicate that at last, some of them are learning the
truth: that too many (these days, the majority of) cyclists are
scofflaw chavs with no notion of responsibility to others.

It is often not sensible to use the right hand side of the road but it
is not "scofflaw".

Mr Pounder Esquire August 7th 19 06:20 PM

TMS320 wrote:
On 07/08/2019 14:35, JNugent wrote:

It's fairly certain that she will have had a very good reason for
doing what she did and that it will have been the fault of some
"motorist", as many regulars here like to call drivers.

If you want 'cyclists', you have to put with 'motorists'.

No doubt one of them will be along shortly to show how it was
someone else's fault (and in the circumstances, probably yours).

What outcome put somebody at fault?

If not, it may indicate that at last, some of them are learning the
truth: that too many (these days, the majority of) cyclists are
scofflaw chavs with no notion of responsibility to others.

It is often not sensible to use the right hand side of the road but it
is not "scofflaw".

"Often not sensible".
As the (always) stupid cyclist was scoffing at the law by being on the wrong
side of the road, what would you call it?
Come along Einstein, answer the question.

Simon Jester August 7th 19 06:44 PM

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 6:20:33 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
TMS320 wrote:
[...]

What specific law was being broken?

Come along Einstein, answer the question.

Einstein was a cyclist.

GB[_5_] August 7th 19 10:13 PM

TMS320 wrote:

It is often not sensible to use the right hand side of the road but
it is not "scofflaw".

"Often not sensible". As the (always) stupid cyclist was scoffing at
the law...

What law?

I mentioned all this to an old friend of mine from school, and he
applauded the cyclist's actions. He said that he wished more cyclists
rode like that. OTOH, he is a bit biased, as he has stage 5 kidney
disease and is desperate for a transplant.

Simon Jester August 7th 19 10:44 PM

TMS320 wrote:

It is often not sensible to use the right hand side of the road but
it is not "scofflaw".

"Often not sensible". As the (always) stupid cyclist was scoffing at
the law...

What law?

I mentioned all this to an old friend of mine from school, and he
applauded the cyclist's actions. He said that he wished more cyclists
rode like that. OTOH, he is a bit biased, as he has stage 5 kidney
disease and is desperate for a transplant.

Another made up story just like your OP.

TMS320 August 7th 19 11:55 PM

Cyclist on wrong side of the road

I mentioned all this to an old friend of mine from school, and he
applauded the cyclist's actions. He said that he wished more cyclists
rode like that. OTOH, he is a bit biased, as he has stage 5 kidney
disease and is desperate for a transplant.

Drivers seem to be more successful at eliminating pedestrians.

GB[_5_] August 8th 19 08:33 PM

On 07/08/2019 22:44, Simon Jester wrote:

I mentioned all this to an old friend of mine from school, and he
applauded the cyclist's actions. He said that he wished more cyclists
rode like that. OTOH, he is a bit biased, as he has stage 5 kidney
disease and is desperate for a transplant.

Another made up story just like your OP.

I wish I had the imagination.