CycleBanter.com

-   -   Which side of a path? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=54539)

Peter Owens December 6th 03 11:47 PM

Which side of a path?

"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
Is there any convention on which side of a path or track to ride on when
facing oncoming cyclists? Round here people seem to ride on the right
as much as the left - annoying. There are lots of cycle tracks and
dual-use pavements with regular opportunity for collision.

If you value your safety stick to the road.

Peter B December 7th 03 06:00 PM

Which side of a path?

"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
Is there any convention on which side of a path or track to ride on when
facing oncoming cyclists? Round here people seem to ride on the right
as much as the left - annoying. There are lots of cycle tracks and
dual-use pavements with regular opportunity for collision.

Well if everyone stuck to the well known convention of staying to the left
except when overtaking 1 I think things would run more smoothly and
safely.
When our daughter was small we used to shout "keep left" to her but it was
really aimed at the dolts coming the other way.
1 Except when riding technical off-road trails when consideration for what
the on-coming rider is doing comes into it.

Pete

Richard Goodman December 7th 03 06:22 PM

Which side of a path?

"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
Is there any convention on which side of a path or track to ride on when
facing oncoming cyclists? Round here people seem to ride on the right
as much as the left - annoying. There are lots of cycle tracks and
dual-use pavements with regular opportunity for collision.

Surely there is a _convention_, which is the same as on the roads - keep
left. The problem is some people who ride bikes on cycle tracks etc. seem
not to have noticed... They are probably people who have never grown up, in
cycling terms, since they were children riding on the pavement without being
aware of custom and practice.

Rich

SamorMike December 7th 03 09:48 PM

Which side of a path?

"Richard Goodman" wrote in message
"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
Is there any convention on which side of a path or track to ride on when
facing oncoming cyclists? Round here people seem to ride on the right
as much as the left - annoying. There are lots of cycle tracks and
dual-use pavements with regular opportunity for collision.

Surely there is a _convention_, which is the same as on the roads - keep
left. The problem is some people who ride bikes on cycle tracks etc. seem
not to have noticed... They are probably people who have never grown up,

in
cycling terms, since they were children riding on the pavement without

being
aware of custom and practice.

Rich

Well you'd have thought it would be left in this country. Could have fooled
me round here though.

Wobbling about on the pavement towards oncoming traffic seems to be another
local convention. Quite worrying when you are riding up the road correctly
towards them.....

Just zis Guy, you know? December 7th 03 10:32 PM

Which side of a path?

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 15:56:35 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
wrote:

Is there any convention on which side of a path or track to ride on when
facing oncoming cyclists?

The far side of the kerb, the bit where the vehicles go

HTH ;-)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Jinx December 8th 03 11:52 AM

Which side of a path?

Geoff Pearson wrote:
Is there any convention on which side of a path or track to ride on
when facing oncoming cyclists? Round here people seem to ride on the
right as much as the left - annoying. There are lots of cycle tracks
and dual-use pavements with regular opportunity for collision.

My wife dragged me around Bluewater the other day christmas shopping. Whilst
she shopped I lurked out on the walkways and observed the flow of pedestrian
movements. It quickly became clear that most - but not all - pedestrians
choose to pass to the right. I assume this is to do with right handedness
being more prevalent. Where pedestrians passed to the left there was often
more eye contact and clearer body language showing intent as the less usual
movement was 'negotiated'.

I think that many cyclists using paths where they are encountering
pedestrians have adopted pedestrian conventions which then brings them into
conflict with cyclists who are using road conventions.

regards

Malcolm

waffle December 8th 03 12:11 PM

Which side of a path?

how about you apply a little common sense and try to answer the question
yourself. here's a hint - if you ride on the right hand side of the road
what's going to eventually happen to you?

james December 8th 03 04:26 PM

Which side of a path?

"Jinx" wrote in message ...
Geoff Pearson wrote:
Is there any convention on which side of a path or track to ride on
when facing oncoming cyclists?

My wife dragged me around Bluewater the other day christmas shopping. ...I lurked out on the walkways and observed the flow of pedestrian
movements. It quickly became clear that most - but not all - pedestrians
choose to pass to the right. I assume this is to do with right handedness
being more prevalent. ...

I would imagine that this could also be to do with the convention that
pedestrians walk on the right hand side of a road with no pavement so
that they face (and see) oncoming traffic.

best wishes
james

IanB December 8th 03 04:39 PM

Which side of a path?

wrote:

Is there any convention on which side of a path or track

to ride on when
facing oncoming cyclists?

I do find it extremely rare to come across an approaching
rider. However I have noticed that whatever the width of
the path, I tend to ride about a half metre from the left
hand edge (i.e. where I normally ride relative to the road
edge). This still applies when the path is only 60cm wide
or even 52cm wide! Just 10 days ago I did come across an
on-coming rider, like me he was riding 50cm from his left
hand edge. The path being just 60cm wide we both moved
slightly right. What position do you adopt on narrowest
paths?
--
IanB

n.b. as I subscribe to two large newsgroups it may be
several days before I see a newsgroup response