CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Speedplay pedals and tech support - positive feedback post (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=742)

Callas September 22nd 03 11:04 PM

Speedplay pedals and tech support - positive feedback post

I've had a great experience with Speedplay pedals and I want to give
them some positive publicity.

I bought Speedplay one pedals about two months ago, replacing SPD-Rs.

I use Carnac Quartz shoes, with the Carnac manufactured adapter.

Speedplay have done a number of things right;

1. the 15 degrees of float (circular pedal) is excellent
2. cleating and decleating is easy (some people posted they had an issue
with this; I have not)
3. the cleat is held on with four screws, one at each corner; I find
this an excellent solution - a trillion zillion miles better than the
SPD-R arrangement
4. the screws used in the cleat are standard 4mm screws - thank you
Lord! when my SPD-R screw heads rounded, I actually had to buy another
cleat set; I could *not* get the screws locally.
5. a leg length adapter kit exists and works extremely well; I initially
had problems with this because I fitted it improperly. I phoned
Speedplay tech support and the guy at the other end offered two
solutions, and the first one was correct (remove the nuts from the extra
baseplate) and solved my problem.

All in all - an *excellent* experience, and I'm very happy with
speedplay and the cleat.

FTR, I have no association with Speedplay of any kind.

--
Callas

Hjalmar Duklæt September 23rd 03 10:40 AM

"Callas" wrote in message
[...]

As I'm very found of their pedals (have both the X2 and the Frog) I'm not
that satisfied with their tech support. Have tried to mail them regularly
over the past month, but have not got any replies so far. My problem is that
the Frogs have got considderable play in the bearings and I just wonder if
they're toast or if I can get new bearings. The pedals have only got about
5000 miles on them which is much, much less than my former Shimano pedals.
Is this common by the way? I've greased them regularly and my X2's are still
good as new after the same milage.
Hjalmar

Steve Knight September 26th 03 06:09 PM

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:04:46 +0100, Callas wrote:

1. the 15 degrees of float (circular pedal) is excellent
2. cleating and decleating is easy (some people posted they had an issue
with this; I have not)

I keep falling out of mine. but I just started riding again and went from
regular pedals and my feet falling off because the shoes were worn to these. I
come out less now (been using them since monday) but I still come out sometimes
for no reason that I can tell..I must be twisting my foot too much.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes