CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pashley Sovereign in the USA? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=66330)

AndrewG September 7th 04 08:16 PM

Pashley Sovereign in the USA?

Hello everyone.

Can any of you relate to shopping around for three months for your
wife who wants a bicycle "like the one she saw in the movies " ?

I finally found the exact bicycle my wife is looking for, the Pashley
Sovereign. Its going to be a huge purchase for us, but everything
down to the 5-speed hub gearing, the current specs, the rack, the
color, the basket and the skirt guard are perfect.

I could easily and much cheaper refurbish an old bicycle to look like
the Pashley, but I want something that is new and safe enough to carry
my one year old son on the back without me worrying if the back wheel
is going to slide off while my wife is heading downhill or taking a
tight turn.

Is there ANYTHING else available in the USA that even comes close to
the Pashely in terms of design and function?

joe September 7th 04 09:02 PM

AndrewG wrote:

I finally found the exact bicycle my wife is looking for, the Pashley
Sovereign. Its going to be a huge purchase for us, but everything
down to the 5-speed hub gearing, the current specs, the rack, the
color, the basket and the skirt guard are perfect.

I know nothing about this bike, but your post made me want to find out,
so I Googled it, and found a rather "funny" description of the S.-A.
hub brakes (which, conincidentally, I had many years ago on a home-assembled
hybrid). The ad in question said:

"Sturmey Archer hub brakes are fitted front and rear to provide reliable
stopping in the majority of situations."

You might want to inquire about the particulars of the "minority of situations"
where the brakes (apparently) do not provide reliable stopping...

Joe

N.b. Above quotation is take from

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...-sovereign.asp

Paul Cassel September 7th 04 10:18 PM

AndrewG wrote:

Hello everyone.

Can any of you relate to shopping around for three months for your
wife who wants a bicycle "like the one she saw in the movies " ?

I finally found the exact bicycle my wife is looking for, the Pashley
Sovereign. Its going to be a huge purchase for us, but everything
down to the 5-speed hub gearing, the current specs, the rack, the
color, the basket and the skirt guard are perfect.

I could easily and much cheaper refurbish an old bicycle to look like
the Pashley, but I want something that is new and safe enough to carry
my one year old son on the back without me worrying if the back wheel
is going to slide off while my wife is heading downhill or taking a
tight turn.

Is there ANYTHING else available in the USA that even comes close to
the Pashely in terms of design and function?

You don't quote the US price. I suggest you find one on eBay. I saw
evidence of them going there for much less than the 500 sterling I found
them for at UK sites.

I don't see anything special about this bike. Try searching sites for
'comfort bikes' and see if you can use one of those to use on your wife.

Zoot Katz September 8th 04 12:22 AM

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:18:04 -0600, , Paul
Cassel wrote:

I don't see anything special about this bike.

I've seen them, they're classics. They're beautiful. They're sturdy.
They're stable. They're hand built. They're trouble free. They come
ready to ride with lights, rack, fenders, basket and bell. They're one
of the very few step-through bikes available with a skirt protector.
They're heavy but lighter than many other roadsters or classic
European built city bikes. They hold their resale value well.

The Indian made "Hero" brand roadsters are imitations of these of
bikes. I've seen those too and they don't compare favourably.

The Pashley's were in a local shop that builds bents and buzz bikes.
Used, clean but with a touch of rust - $500 CND each - one mens and a
ladies with rod actuated brakes, steel rims and SA 3 spd hubs. They
were marked "sold".

The specs on the new Princess Sovereign with its alloy bits and hub
brakes are a big improvement. One possible upgrade would be a
combined internal brake and dynamo front hub. That's only if you plan
to do much night riding in rain, which the majority of cyclists don't.

Try searching sites for
'comfort bikes' and see if you can use one of those to use on your wife.

You missed the part where she said that she wants a bicycle "like the
one in the movies ". There is not substitute for that, but I have to
ask: Does she ride a bike now?

I hope she's not expecting to suddenly be riding on movie sets once
she gets just the "perfect" bicycle.
--
zk

Zoot Katz September 8th 04 04:57 AM

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:02:14 -0700,
, joe wrote:

You might want to inquire about the particulars of the "minority of situations"
where the brakes (apparently) do not provide reliable stopping...

Heat fading on long descents.
--
zk

AndrewG September 8th 04 08:06 PM

Zoot Katz wrote in message ...

I've seen them, they're classics. They're beautiful. They're sturdy.
They're stable. They're hand built. They're trouble free. They come
ready to ride with lights, rack, fenders, basket and bell. They're one
of the very few step-through bikes available with a skirt protector.
They're heavy but lighter than many other roadsters or classic
European built city bikes. They hold their resale value well.

Zoot: Thanks for the help, and a thanks to others in here as well.

In as few words as possible, I can say this bicycle has a "definitive
classic style" More importantly, it represents a era in bicycles that
many, if not all, of the US based manufacturers fail to recognize
today.

I am sure the market is there, its just much easier for the big names
today to slap on some fenders and a basket and say a women's bike is a
"commuter" style or "city" style.

What it comes down to is building a spec where a market currently does
not exist, but in the hopes that it will, once the supply is created.

Luigi de Guzman September 8th 04 10:54 PM

On 8 Sep 2004 12:06:32 -0700, (AndrewG)
wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote in message ...

I've seen them, they're classics. They're beautiful. They're sturdy.
They're stable. They're hand built. They're trouble free. They come
ready to ride with lights, rack, fenders, basket and bell. They're one
of the very few step-through bikes available with a skirt protector.
They're heavy but lighter than many other roadsters or classic
European built city bikes. They hold their resale value well.

Zoot: Thanks for the help, and a thanks to others in here as well.

In as few words as possible, I can say this bicycle has a "definitive
classic style" More importantly, it represents a era in bicycles that
many, if not all, of the US based manufacturers fail to recognize
today.

It is because during the equivalent period, the American bicycle scene
was dominated by the "cruiser" type, which is nowhere near as elegant,
efficient, or practical. But it has chrome. Lots and lots of chrome.
And whitewalls. So obviously, it was going to be a hit in America.

I should mention here that the Raleighs and such of the 1950's were
produced in a Britain that was still reconstructing from the
war...Rationing there ended in 1949, and currency controls continued
for much longer. British consumer tastes adjusted accordingly.

The story is much the same on the Continent. There is a reason that
"Bicycle Thieves" is a masterpiece of Italian Realist cinema--because
it reflected a real need for bicycles as transport in the immediate
aftermath of war and reconstruction.

At the same time, American prosperity was at an all-time high.
Automobile ownership increased. And the pent-up demand for consumer
goods was satisfied by enthusiastic industries.

I am sure the market is there, its just much easier for the big names
today to slap on some fenders and a basket and say a women's bike is a
"commuter" style or "city" style.

The market is there, but obviously not in sufficient volume in the
United States for the major manufacturers to crank out roadsters for
town use at attractive prices.

The people who would benefit most from modern roadsters are laborers,
for whom transport costs are a significant slice of their budget. In
my town, laborers either arrive in work crews, four or five to a
pickup (construction) or individually, on cheap ($50, US) bicycles.
Those cheap bikes are horrid, sure, but they're affordable and
dependable enough to get these guys to work--so where's the market for
your roadster?

I will surmise that the market segment you're thinking of is busy
being nostalgic for the fat, chrome-encrusted sidewalk behemoths of
its youth and is buying the new cruisers which I see at my bikeshop.
The ones who aren't have been convinced that maybe they get better
value from a hybrid or comfort bike, which has more gears, more
technology, and more...bike, really...at the same or lower cost.

Roadsters for laborers do exist--Flying Pigeon and Hero cycles, for
instance, built in China and India--and I suppose with sufficient
volume, it would be possible for them to be sold at rock-bottom
prices. The trouble is, they look so dowdy next to the latest
gee-whiz X*mart double-boinger....how do you convince someone he's
getting better value for money from a Flying Pigeon than a
dual-suspension "Honda Racing" bicycle?

For the record, I am a big fan of the old roadsters, and think them
excellent, useful machines. I'm just under no illusions regarding a
roadster renaissance in North America.

-Luigi

Chalo September 9th 04 05:24 AM

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

It is because during the equivalent period, the American bicycle scene
was dominated by the "cruiser" type, which is nowhere near as elegant,
efficient, or practical.

Nonsense. The only thing the typical roadster might have to make it
more capable than a balloon-tire cruiser is hub gearing (and not all
roadsters have it) or front brakes (and not all Amercan cruisers lack
those). Both kinds of bike are exceedingly rugged and comfortable,
they both weigh tons/tonnes, and they have both maintained some sort
of following ever since their heyday.

Remember that balloon-tire cruisers evolved into mountain bikes, which
looks to me like a favorable reflection upon their durability,
relative comfort, and utility. I doubt that roadsters would have done
the same if the geographic circumstances had been reversed. Pounding
down Mt. Tamalpais on a rod-braked bike with ridiculously high
standover sounds like a self-punishing mistake.

Roadsters are adequately stylish the way they are, which is why the
new ones look exactly like the old ones. But they are clearly not
compelling enough to arouse the imagination of bike customizers, be
they hot rodders, lowriders, or OEMs. Compared to a
cantilever-framed, fat-tired tanker they look, well, Amish.

I will surmise that the market segment you're thinking of is busy
being nostalgic for the fat, chrome-encrusted sidewalk behemoths of
its youth and is buying the new cruisers which I see at my bikeshop.

So what makes a 50lb cruiser a "behemoth" when a 50lb roadster isn't?
They are similar in wheelbase, and the roadster is taller and has
bigger wheels. Maybe the Euro bike is a "leviathan" or a
"juggernaut"?

The few features that functionally distinguish a roadster from a
cruiser are the full chaincase and pump/generator/lighting furniture--
things that lend themselves to allowing some poor schmuck (make that
*bloke*) to slog to work in the rain and dark at 55 degrees latitude.
In that respect such a bike is completely appropriate. For the
intended use of a ballon tire cruiser (that is, carrying a youngster
on short trips around the neighborhood, campus, or newspaper route)
those features are superfluous.

Chalo Colina

Luigi de Guzman September 9th 04 11:09 PM

Chalo wrote:

Roadsters are adequately stylish the way they are, which is why the
new ones look exactly like the old ones. But they are clearly not
compelling enough to arouse the imagination of bike customizers, be
they hot rodders, lowriders, or OEMs. Compared to a
cantilever-framed, fat-tired tanker they look, well, Amish.

Now we're at the heart of the matter.

Lowriders, wheelie bikes, chromed-up cruisers with whitewalls: I don't like
them. If you think an old Raleigh (or Batavus, or Gazelle, or Pashley...)
looks Amish, I think the whole curb-crusher cruiser thing looks tacky, and,
frankly, un-bicycle, if there is such a concept.

(Un-bicycle: I should explain that. I have never wanted my bicycle to be
anything other than a bicycle. I don't want it to look like or act like a
streamline train, or a fiftysomething Caddillac, or a Harley, or an F-86,
or whatever. If I wanted a Caddy or a Harley, I'd get one. I just want a
*bicycle*.)

But then, I also have a fairly understated dress-sense, too, so.

snip

The few features that functionally distinguish a roadster from a
cruiser are the full chaincase and pump/generator/lighting furniture--
things that lend themselves to allowing some poor schmuck (make that
*bloke*) to slog to work in the rain and dark at 55 degrees latitude.
In that respect such a bike is completely appropriate. For the
intended use of a ballon tire cruiser (that is, carrying a youngster
on short trips around the neighborhood, campus, or newspaper route)
those features are superfluous.

And we're back to "utility," aren't we? A fifty-pound roadster is
transport, and meant to be ridden from point A to B. I don't see (maybe
I'm too young to have seen) chromed-up cruisers being put to that same use.
Kids around here ride BMXs, and a quick survey of the bikeracks at a nearby
college campus shows...not a single cruiser. None.

There are at least a few roadsters around town (Raleigh "Sports" types, with
the smaller chainguard), though, being ridden by guys going to and from
work.

We'll agree to disagree here (not the first time, either): You back the
cruiser. Fine. I'll back the roadster. Just so long as we can share the
same road, I'm happy--even if either of us wouldn't be caught dead on the
other's favored bicycle.

-Luigi

de gustibus non est disputandum, quod justus sum, et id tu scis.

--
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, Raves

Chalo September 10th 04 04:51 AM

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

I have never wanted my bicycle to be
anything other than a bicycle. I don't want it to look like or act like a
streamline train, or a fiftysomething Caddillac, or a Harley, or an F-86,
or whatever. If I wanted a Caddy or a Harley, I'd get one.

Ah, but what if you wanted an F-86? ;^)

Chalo wrote:

For the
intended use of a ballon tire cruiser (that is, carrying a youngster
on short trips around the neighborhood, campus, or newspaper route)
those features are superfluous.

A fifty-pound roadster is
transport, and meant to be ridden from point A to B. I don't see (maybe
I'm too young to have seen) chromed-up cruisers being put to that same use.
Kids around here ride BMXs, and a quick survey of the bikeracks at a nearby
college campus shows...not a single cruiser. None.

But the design intent of those bikes was for conditions in the USA of
the 1950s. At that time, you would have seen such bikes almost
exclusively. Between marketing trends and the fact that teens are
increasingly feeble when it comes to transporting themselves, BMX
bikes have taken over. They are no match for big-wheeled bikes from a
transportation standpoint, but they tolerate a whole lot more
tomfoolery.

I reckon that campus bike rack you checked didn't contain any 40-50 lb
bikes at all outside of Xmart junkers. Am I right?

There are at least a few roadsters around town (Raleigh "Sports" types, with
the smaller chainguard), though, being ridden by guys going to and from
work.

They are hard to fault until you have to replace the BB or the
headset.

We'll agree to disagree here (not the first time, either): You back the
cruiser. Fine. I'll back the roadster. Just so long as we can share the
same road, I'm happy--even if either of us wouldn't be caught dead on the
other's favored bicycle.

You get me wrong. I bought a beautiful recent model Gazelle for my
sister, and I think it was one of my better bike purchases ever. It
came with internal gears, drum brakes, stainless steel rims,
chaincase, skirt guards, pump, generator, lights, fenders, rear rack,
folding panniers, bungee straps, and a wheel lock-- all original
equipment. It looks sharp, though it leaves little room for
nondestructive personalization. I don't have one because it would
need to be a 72cm frame or so for proper fit.

Stylewise though, there is no comparing the Gazelle updated roadster

http://www.gazelle-hollandrad.de/bik...MEUR_D2_03.jpg

to an updated cruiser like this:

http://nirve.com/main/largepic.asp?id=1408

There's nothing wrong with the dowdier bike, but it fails to lead you
on a flight of fancy.

Chalo Colina

Pete September 10th 04 05:49 AM

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...
Luigi de Guzman wrote:

I have never wanted my bicycle to be
anything other than a bicycle. I don't want it to look like or act like

streamline train, or a fiftysomething Caddillac, or a Harley, or an

F-86,
or whatever. If I wanted a Caddy or a Harley, I'd get one.

Ah, but what if you wanted an F-86? ;^)

You could buy one of the few still around. If you had enough money.
Like this guy:
http://popularmechanics.com/science/...2/index3.phtml

or this guy:
http://www.warbirdalley.com/F86-sf.htm

Pete

Luigi de Guzman September 11th 04 12:27 AM

A fifty-pound roadster is
transport, and meant to be ridden from point A to B. I don't see (maybe
I'm too young to have seen) chromed-up cruisers being put to that same
use. Kids around here ride BMXs, and a quick survey of the bikeracks at a
nearby
college campus shows...not a single cruiser. None.

But the design intent of those bikes was for conditions in the USA of
the 1950s. At that time, you would have seen such bikes almost
exclusively.

Sure. What I want to know is when the cantilevered frame became *the* North
American bicycle, when there were so many production advantages to be had
from straight tubes.

Between marketing trends and the fact that teens are
increasingly feeble when it comes to transporting themselves, BMX
bikes have taken over. They are no match for big-wheeled bikes from a
transportation standpoint, but they tolerate a whole lot more
tomfoolery.

There are always a bunch of BMX guys tricking in front of the skate shop
here in town. They're pretty neat.

I reckon that campus bike rack you checked didn't contain any 40-50 lb
bikes at all outside of Xmart junkers. Am I right?

You are correct. I do, however, see, from time to time, a Giant OCR 1.
Some kid is riding from class to class on a roadie...! The funny thing is
that I've only ever seen that bike parked on campus racks.

To wander slightly off-topic, have you noticed that you've begun to
recognize all the *bicycles*, if not the cyclists, in your neighborhood? I
see the same bunch of guys riding around town, and even if I don't know
them personally, I can recognize them by their bikes: The guy on the
Independent Fabrications bike; the guy on the Trek 2200, and so on.

There are at least a few roadsters around town (Raleigh "Sports" types,
with the smaller chainguard), though, being ridden by guys going to and
from work.

They are hard to fault until you have to replace the BB or the
headset.

Many are just ridden until they disintegrate.

snip

There's nothing wrong with the dowdier bike, but it fails to lead you
on a flight of fancy.

And we're back to this. Flights of fancy aren't as immediately useful for
getting to work on time and in presentable condition.

I've seen updated Gazelles in commuter use (in London), and I must say that
they seem pretty practical bikes, but they aren't anywhere near as
good-looking as the older ones.

[A Dutch friend reports that at her high school in Holland, there was a
rivalry between the guys who rode Gazelles and the guys who rode Batavus
bikes. Ford vs. Chevy, Dutch-style, I guess]

IF I had the skill, it would be amusing to attempt to construct a "light
heavyweight" roadster. Maybe a Reynolds 853 main triangle and fork, but in
roadster lines. Or, for even more comedy value, how about a carbon-fiber
roadster frame? You wouldn't even have to paint it, and, if it held up
well to roadster use, it would definitely make me a carbon fiber believer.

-Luigi

the black rose September 11th 04 01:17 AM

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
--snip--
There are always a bunch of BMX guys tricking in front of the skate shop
here in town. They're pretty neat.

I think it's pretty cool what these guys can do with those little bikes.
Once in a while, my 13-yr-old son tries to imitate them, with rather
messy results. I had to restock the first aid kid last time.

--snip--
To wander slightly off-topic, have you noticed that you've begun to
recognize all the *bicycles*, if not the cyclists, in your neighborhood?

This afternoon, the DH and I went out riding, and some guy in lycra
passed us. We kept tooling along. He passed us again.

*blink*

We never saw him at the side of the road or anything. I'm sure it was
the same guy. That was weird.

IF I had the skill, it would be amusing to attempt to construct a "light
heavyweight" roadster. Maybe a Reynolds 853 main triangle and fork, but in
roadster lines. Or, for even more comedy value, how about a carbon-fiber
roadster frame? You wouldn't even have to paint it, and, if it held up
well to roadster use, it would definitely make me a carbon fiber believer.

The thing that concerns me about carbon fiber is, I've heard that any
damage to the frame and it will deteriorate quickly from the point of
damage. I have no idea if that's true, but if it is, it would
definitely put me off carbon fiber.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose

Claire Petersky September 11th 04 05:33 PM

"the black rose" wrote in message

This afternoon, the DH and I went out riding, and some guy in lycra
passed us. We kept tooling along. He passed us again.

*blink*

We never saw him at the side of the road or anything. I'm sure it was
the same guy. That was weird.

This happened to me one day on the way home from work. I'm grinding up the
east high rise, and this guy passes me. Then, about two miles later,
approaching the east channel bridge, he passes me again. I put on the
sprint, catch up to his slipstream, and ask him how he managed to do that.
He said that he had stopped at the toilets at the park on the Lid. I guess I
must have passed him while he was in the loo.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Claire Petersky September 12th 04 01:22 AM

"the black rose" wrote in message
Claire Petersky wrote:

[some free-form musings]

You've got the soul of a poet, Claire.

Thank you for saying so, since I blather on so much around here, I hope that
my posts aren't immediately marked as "read" without actually having been
so.

Hey, did I tell everyone it looks like I'm going to get one of my essays
published in a literary magazine? Woo-hoo!

Luigi de Guzman September 12th 04 04:17 AM

Claire Petersky wrote:

[some free-form musings]

You've got the soul of a poet, Claire.

Thank you for saying so, since I blather on so much around here, I hope
that my posts aren't immediately marked as "read" without actually having
been so.

I suspect mine are, largely. But mine aren't as uniformly good as yours,
usually.

Hey, did I tell everyone it looks like I'm going to get one of my essays
published in a literary magazine? Woo-hoo!

Many congrats. where and when?

-Luigi

Eric S. Sande September 12th 04 11:23 AM

Hey, did I tell everyone it looks like I'm going to get one of my essays
published in a literary magazine? Woo-hoo!

That's great!

Although I find your writings a bit lacking in the action/adventure
vein, I do enjoy your spiritual take on things.

You are always a pleasure to read, try to get more actual blood and
guts into the story.

I remember your commute into the city with the compromised brake
wire, that had a degreee of suspense and anticipation that was
hard to beat.

And the ambiguous resolution was pure Zen.

I thought that was one of your most effective literary statements,
I'd like to see what other essay was better.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

the black rose September 12th 04 03:06 PM

Claire Petersky wrote:

[some free-form musings]

You've got the soul of a poet, Claire.

Thank you for saying so,

Yer welcome. :-)

Hey, did I tell everyone it looks like I'm going to get one of my essays
published in a literary magazine? Woo-hoo!

Which? When? Give us the details!

-km

Claire Petersky September 12th 04 03:47 PM

"Eric S. Sande" wrote in message
Hey, did I tell everyone it looks like I'm going to get one of my essays
published in a literary magazine? Woo-hoo!

I remember your commute into the city with the compromised brake
wire, that had a degreee of suspense and anticipation that was
hard to beat.

And you were the one who never would have gotten into that situation -- you
would have noticed the frayed cable days before the ride ever happened.

And the ambiguous resolution was pure Zen.

D3 was the way I went.

Luigi de Guzman September 12th 04 05:09 PM

the black rose wrote:

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
--snip--
[...]

I was trying to launch a few roadster-based flights of fancy. Chalo's fancy
cruisers probably aren't used enough or roughly enough to scratch their
groovy paintjobs (not something I can say of any of my bicycles). So a CF
roadster would fit that category.

Probably the closest thing to what I'm talking about are the A.N.T.
roadsters:

http://www.antbikemike.com/Big%20Bik...onroadbig.html

I haven't seen one up close and personal yet (chances of that are rare,
given where I live), but I think it's a pretty bike. But then, I favour
dark suits and sober* ties, too.

-Luigi

*the sobriety of the wearer, however, is not similarly guaranteed.

-km

the black rose September 12th 04 07:20 PM

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
Probably the closest thing to what I'm talking about are the A.N.T.
roadsters:

http://www.antbikemike.com/Big%20Bik...onroadbig.html

Oooh, that is so cool.

If I get a separate bike for touring (DH and I are seriously considering
doing some loaded touring, maybe next summer, maybe the one after), I've
got just enough of the retrogrouch in me to be tempted by the Rivendell
Atlantis. Those are *pretty* bikes.

We found a T800 hiding in our LBS. It's been there a while and it's on
a good discount. And it fits DH, and he needs a new bike, and he wants
a tourer. Can you say, "Christmas present"? *grin*

I haven't seen one up close and personal yet (chances of that are rare,
given where I live), but I think it's a pretty bike. But then, I favour
dark suits and sober* ties, too.

-Luigi

*the sobriety of the wearer, however, is not similarly guaranteed.

*snorfle*

-km

Ryan Cousineau September 12th 04 11:53 PM

In article _B_0d.1282$Xc.591@lakeread01,
Luigi de Guzman wrote:

the black rose wrote:

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

Probably the closest thing to what I'm talking about are the A.N.T.
roadsters:

http://www.antbikemike.com/Big%20Bik...onroadbig.html

I haven't seen one up close and personal yet (chances of that are rare,
given where I live), but I think it's a pretty bike. But then, I favour
dark suits and sober* ties, too.

-Luigi

*the sobriety of the wearer, however, is not similarly guaranteed.

Beautiful bike. Sort of a perfect reinterpretation of the English
roadster but with 7 speeds and less weight.

That puts something to mind for me...I just picked up an AW hub attached
to a Phillips lady's frame. That, plus a nice old cro-moly MTB frame,
and I could really make a cheap fun town bike.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

papercut September 12th 04 11:58 PM

Luigi de Guzman wrote in message news:_B_0d.1282$Xc.591@lakeread01...

Probably the closest thing to what I'm talking about are the A.N.T.
roadsters:

http://www.antbikemike.com/Big%20Bik...onroadbig.html

Interestingly, I prefer the Major Taylor
http://www.antbikemike.com/antique.html
Love the sprocket and one piece crank on that. Perhaps this bike
harkens back to a time when the roadster and cantilever frame formed
separate branches on the evolutionary chain.

BTW, my experience with cruisers has been much different. In my area,
the cantilever frame is a serious mode of transportation. The LBS
sells some fancy ones, but the ones I see folks riding on are
typically well used. One, three and five speeds are very common. Like
it or not, they are pretty much the American roadster. And they are
very popular with the local college students, moreso than classic
roadsters, but less than *mart MTBs.

I think one reason they are so popular among practical riders is that
the curvy cantilever frame is a nice contrast to the diamond frame of
the roadster/"ten speed". Schwinn made many one, two, three and five
speed roadsters. But they were the kind of bikes for old people. And
"ten speeds" were for masochists. I can understand the criticism of
their being percieved as toys. But really, there are plenty of very
expensive road/MTBs that are basically toys for their owners. In the
mean time, regular folks just want something to ride that doesn't need
babying.

Chalo September 13th 04 10:47 AM

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

Chalo wrote:

But the design intent of those bikes was for conditions in the USA of
the 1950s. At that time, you would have seen such bikes almost
exclusively.

Sure. What I want to know is when the cantilevered frame became *the* North
American bicycle, when there were so many production advantages to be had
from straight tubes.

You've got me there. They look nice, but I can't imagine why any
mass-market manufacturer would have gone to the trouble of making them
in the first place. Once they gained market traction, well, folks
demand what they are conditioned to want. Especially young folks.

There are always a bunch of BMX guys tricking in front of the skate shop
here in town. They're pretty neat.

My favorite to watch is "flatland" riding. It's like a form of
artistic dance, but the presence of a bike keeps me interested.

To wander slightly off-topic, have you noticed that you've begun to
recognize all the *bicycles*, if not the cyclists, in your neighborhood?

Only a few. There are a lot of cyclists in central Seattle. There is
no clear best route from my house to my work either, so I ride a
different variation almost every time. That and the fact that I leave
at a different time each day means that it's difficult to notice
patterns other than a few familiar faces, or bikes. There are a
couple who ride together on 27" bikes with North Road bars (might be
Raleighs), and I'd recognize them at a glance.

It's easier for me to identify the regular local dog-walkers by their
pooches.

see the same bunch of guys riding around town, and even if I don't know
them personally, I can recognize them by their bikes: The guy on the
Independent Fabrications bike; the guy on the Trek 2200, and so on.

To be honest, a bike would have to be pretty distinct for me to take
passing notice. I'm jaded enough to think of stock or stock-looking
late model bikes as mundane.

IF I had the skill, it would be amusing to attempt to construct a "light
heavyweight" roadster. Maybe a Reynolds 853 main triangle and fork, but in
roadster lines. Or, for even more comedy value, how about a carbon-fiber
roadster frame? You wouldn't even have to paint it, and, if it held up
well to roadster use, it would definitely make me a carbon fiber believer.

A five pound CFRP roadster frame would probably withstand anything a
mortal city rider could subject it to, short of being run over by a
car.

This bike may or may not be light by your standards, but it's pretty
nice:

http://www.encycleopedia.com/index.c...1&type=Product

Chalo Colina

Chalo September 13th 04 10:55 AM

the black rose wrote:

The thing that concerns me about carbon fiber is, I've heard that any
damage to the frame and it will deteriorate quickly from the point of
damage. I have no idea if that's true, but if it is, it would
definitely put me off carbon fiber.

It shouldn't deteriorate from damage. Damage to the structural fibers
will simply lower the amount of load at which the frame will fail.
When carbon fiber composite fails, it breaks suddenly. That isn't
confidence inspiring, but it isn't due to progressive degradation
either.

Chalo Colina

Dane Jackson September 27th 04 08:49 PM

Claire Petersky wrote:

I also often see Dane J. of our newsgroup, too, coming the other way -- I
yelled at him just last week as he was coming up to Eastgate, but he was
oblivious (as usual :-) ).

Hey! I resemble that remark!

In my defense, Eastgate is pretty fuggin steep. I tend to be head down
cranking out the watts to attempt to get to work on time.

The rider I keep meaning to stop and say 'Hi' to is some fellow I pass
a couple times a week. He's one of the few people I see commuting on
his bike year round. He's an older guy usually wearing bright yellow
and/or reflective gear. We usually greet each other with a "Good
Morning" or "Good Evening" as appropriate, but haven't had a chance
to chat yet.

Still it's a nice plus to my commute ride when I can say hello.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Every man has his price. Mine is $3.95."

Claire Petersky September 28th 04 02:20 AM

"Dane Jackson" wrote in message

The rider I keep meaning to stop and say 'Hi' to is some fellow I pass
a couple times a week. He's one of the few people I see commuting on
his bike year round. He's an older guy usually wearing bright yellow
and/or reflective gear. We usually greet each other with a "Good
Morning" or "Good Evening" as appropriate, but haven't had a chance
to chat yet.

Do you pass him, or is he coming the other way? If it's the other way, it
might be Geoff Hazel. You can see his picture he

http://www.cascade.org/Community/for...&threadid=1758

Dane Jackson September 29th 04 04:14 AM

Claire Petersky wrote:
"Dane Jackson" wrote:

The rider I keep meaning to stop and say 'Hi' to is some fellow I pass
a couple times a week. He's one of the few people I see commuting on
his bike year round. He's an older guy usually wearing bright yellow
and/or reflective gear. We usually greet each other with a "Good
Morning" or "Good Evening" as appropriate, but haven't had a chance
to chat yet.

Do you pass him, or is he coming the other way? If it's the other way, it
might be Geoff Hazel. You can see his picture he

http://www.cascade.org/Community/for...&threadid=1758

No, I usually see him (the fellow pictured) a minute or two after I see
the cyclist I mentioned. They are both coming from the opposite direction
of myself.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little