CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   comfy seat? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=83732)

[email protected] February 26th 05 03:54 AM

comfy seat?

Just bought a comfort bike but the seat isn't comfy enough. It's 10x10
which I know is considered large, so I wonder if a gel cover would
help. Are some better than others? Thanks.

Ken Pisichko February 26th 05 04:08 PM

Get a used Brooks B17 on e-bay and put neetsfoot oil on it. It will be
brutal while you are breaking it in but then-----

It will possibly be the most comfortable bicycle seat you will ever ride
on. Leather seats are wonderful - but they have to be taken care of.
Remember to cover the seat with a plastic grocery bag if the bike is
outside - rain and dew harm leather.

Ken

Ed February 26th 05 11:39 PM

In article .com,
says...

Just bought a comfort bike but the seat isn't comfy enough. It's 10x10
which I know is considered large, so I wonder if a gel cover would
help.

Maybe, a little, for a while.

What works is to ride frequently, several times a week, but not so far you are
sore after the ride. You will gradually be able to ride farther and farther and
the problem will go away. As you ride more the gel seat will become
unconfortable. A Brooks leather or any of the thinly padded plastic base seats
will work better then.

Sheldon Brown says much the same thing on his web site.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html