CycleBanter.com

-   Social Issues (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Man's license revoked after he hit bicyclists in Pinellas (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=13330)

Eric Vey November 5th 03 11:10 PM

Man's license revoked after he hit bicyclists in Pinellas

http://tinyurl.com/tt2f

November 2, 2003

ST. PETERSBURG -- A judge has permanently revoked the drivers license of
a retired salesman who plowed into a group of bicyclists, sending 14 to
the hospital.

Joseph Pastore, 61, pleaded no contest to careless driving after driving
his Lincoln Continental into members of two bicycle clubs on a two-lane
road in July. He will pay the maximum $500 fine through community
service.

Pastore wasn't required to be in court and did not attend the hearing
Friday. His attorney handed over his license.

About 45 cyclists and their friends broke into applause at the outcome.

"It was as good as it can get, according to the rules of the court,"
said David Arnold, who uses a wheelchair because of severe leg injuries
suffered in the collision. "My way of life is totally wrecked."

Pastore told police he swerved after water sprayed through his window
into his eyes. Police think he passed out behind the wheel because he
had taken a combination of medications.

"He should have been charged as a criminal for hurting so many people,"
said Maria Riquet, who suffered broken vertebrae and ribs. "But I'm
happy he lost his drivers license."

Doug Haxton November 7th 03 05:18 PM

Man's license revoked after he hit bicyclists in Pinellas

On 07 Nov 2003 00:48:25 GMT, Richard Adams
wrote:

Fat chance this will make the national 6:00 news, but every little step
counts.

Um, why in the world *should* this make the national 6:00 news?

(For what it's worth, I agree with the actions of the judge, based on
a rather short story)

Doug

Richard Adams November 8th 03 07:01 AM

wrote:

Fat chance this will make the national 6:00 news, but every little step
counts.

Um, why in the world *should* this make the national 6:00 news?

(For what it's worth, I agree with the actions of the judge, based on
a rather short story)

Doug

Real news of real value rarely hits the national, let alone local news.
You'd know this if you'd ever seen it. House fires, car accidents,
fights at sporting events, etc., a waste of energy to broadcast it.

Doug Haxton November 9th 03 12:25 AM

Richard Adams wrote in message ...
Fat chance this will make the national 6:00 news, but every little step
counts.

Um, why in the world *should* this make the national 6:00 news?

(For what it's worth, I agree with the actions of the judge, based on
a rather short story)

Real news of real value

As defined by whom?
rarely hits the national, let alone local news.
You'd know this if you'd ever seen it. House fires, car accidents,
fights at sporting events, etc., a waste of energy to broadcast it.

None of these would make the national news unless they were
particularly noteworthy. I'd bet money that the CBS national news
hasn't included any stories about a house fire, car accident, or fight
at a sporting event in the last 30 days.

Doug

Richard Adams November 9th 03 02:59 PM

Doug Haxton wrote:
Richard Adams wrote in message ...

Fat chance this will make the national 6:00 news, but every little step
counts.

Um, why in the world *should* this make the national 6:00 news?

(For what it's worth, I agree with the actions of the judge, based on
a rather short story)

Real news of real value

As defined by whom?

rarely hits the national, let alone local news.
You'd know this if you'd ever seen it. House fires, car accidents,
fights at sporting events, etc., a waste of energy to broadcast it.

None of these would make the national news unless they were
particularly noteworthy. I'd bet money that the CBS national news
hasn't included any stories about a house fire, car accident, or fight
at a sporting event in the last 30 days.

When did Don Zimmer hit the deck?

Point being, the local news provides dreck and the national news is
usually filled with national dreck. So many have gotten use to the
message and delivery they don't question it. I follow news on the BBC
and find it does a pretty good job, tho not as good as it once did - but
I blame that on their tailoring their news to North American audiences.

Eric Vey November 9th 03 03:58 PM

Man's license revoked after he hit bicyclists in Pinellas

--I blame that on their tailoring their news to North American
audiences.--

If you are referring to the morning show on public radio, you are right,
but I listen to the real thing. I had been listening to the World
Service on shortwave, but now it is only available on the web. You can
get the World Service and the others (designed for internal listening)
he
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod

I have become quite a fan of the Afternoon Play on Radio 4.

Doug Haxton November 9th 03 07:49 PM

Man's license revoked after he hit bicyclists in Pinellas

On 09 Nov 2003 13:59:35 GMT, Richard Adams
wrote:

Doug Haxton wrote:
Richard Adams wrote in message ...

Fat chance this will make the national 6:00 news, but every little step
counts.

Um, why in the world *should* this make the national 6:00 news?

(For what it's worth, I agree with the actions of the judge, based on
a rather short story)

Real news of real value

As defined by whom?

rarely hits the national, let alone local news.
You'd know this if you'd ever seen it. House fires, car accidents,
fights at sporting events, etc., a waste of energy to broadcast it.

None of these would make the national news unless they were
particularly noteworthy. I'd bet money that the CBS national news
hasn't included any stories about a house fire, car accident, or fight
at a sporting event in the last 30 days.

When did Don Zimmer hit the deck?

Who?

Point being, the local news provides dreck and the national news is
usually filled with national dreck. So many have gotten use to the
message and delivery they don't question it. I follow news on the BBC
and find it does a pretty good job, tho not as good as it once did - but
I blame that on their tailoring their news to North American audiences.

I certainly wouldn't argue that national news is (almost) without
exception nothing but headlines with graphics....but the war in Iraq
(for instance) isn't exactly dreck. Just because it's a superficial
treatment of the subject doesn't make the subject unimportant.

Doug