CycleBanter.com

-   Unicycling (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   GB Handle install on Miyata Seat? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=21682)

tomblackwood July 14th 03 01:31 AM

GB Handle install on Miyata Seat?

gbarnes wrote:
*I have some installation instructions for the $10 Miyata stiffener on
my website: http://tinyurl.com/4zhn

You will have to drill one hole, though if you have the stiffener
bolted on this is very easy. If you are still unclear on anything,
feel free to email me or post a reply here.*

Well I finally got around to installing the GB stiffener plate and "Y"
handle on the Miyata seat for my Coker today. George, your directions
worked great! I did a quick test ride and I think the new handle will be
a big help on the longer rides. Now as soon as I can get my computer
installed, I'll go take one of those....

I did encounter a couple steps in the process that might be worth
considering for incorporation into the directions. In regard to the
carriage bolt size, at least at my local Home Depot, the only choices
were 1" or 1.5"....they had no 1.25s. I used the 1" for the four points
of attachment to the seat post, and the 1.5-ers for the three points
front section where I was attaching the GB Handle.

The directions also call for installing the stiffener plate first, then
using this as the template for drilling the 9/32 hole. Once I had the
plate installed, however, the 9/32 drill bit I had would not fit cleanly
through the square carraige hole in the stiffener plate. It locked. I
ended up just using a 1/4 inch bit, which fit and worked fine.

I also have the Roach Air Pillow option on my Miyata, which introduces
two additional processes to the "GB Coker handle instructions". The
first process--and thanks to John_Childs for pointing this out to me--is
to remember to cover the whole plate with duct tape after installing the
carraige bolts but before putting the cover back on. This helps hold the
bolts in place when you flip the seat upside down to install the nuts,
and it also protects the air pillow unit from the edges on the plate.
The second process is that with the roach cover, you need to put the
cover back over the seat _before_ installing the GB handle. The
directions for the standard saddle foam and cover call for installing
the handle first.

Thanks to George, John, and everyone else that added their
suggestions.

Tom

--
tomblackwood - Under-prepared Dork (UPD)

My other brake is my face!

john_childs July 14th 03 09:44 AM

tomblackwood wrote:
*I did encounter a couple steps in the process that might be worth
considering for incorporation into the directions. In regard to the
carriage bolt size, at least at my local Home Depot, the only choices
were 1" or 1.5"....they had no 1.25s. I used the 1" for the four
points of attachment to the seat post, and the 1.5-ers for the three
points front section where I was attaching the GB Handle.
*

You need to go to 'Tacoma Screw' (http://www.tacomascrew.com/) for your
oddball fastener needs. They have the stuff and even have metric sizes.
I have made many trips to Tacoma Screw for all sorts of fasteners for
my unicycles. They even have 1.25" long carriage bolts.

It really sucks that hardware stores around here have pretty much
stopped stocking metric hardware. It's a real PITA when you need metric
fasteners for the unicycle. Tacoma Screw is the only local place I have
found that has a large variety of metric fasteners and will sell to the
public.

'Tacoma Screw' (http://www.tacomascrew.com/) has several locations in
the Seattle area. There is one in Kirkland on the way to St. Edward
State Park.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

U-Turn July 14th 03 12:03 PM

GB Handle install on Miyata Seat?

It really sucks that hardware stores around here have pretty much
stopped stocking metric hardware. It's a real PITA when you need
metric fasteners for the unicycle.

That's pretty much true here too. After you call around and visit
half-a dozen places, you find which have the best metric, stainless, and
metric+stainless options. As for lengths, it's pretty easy to cut a
longer bolt to a custom size using a hacksaw.

--
U-Turn - Mounting a Revolution

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton