CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cyclocross checklist (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=22)

Drew Cutter July 9th 03 04:34 PM

Cyclocross checklist

Thanks . The local bike shop recommended a new bike instead . He
suggested redline . This is strictly a winter only bike and one I can
bang around with out worrying about the repair bill. Thought about using
my carnac mt. bike shoes . Colorado cyclist doesn't seem to have to much
in the way of cyclocross . The shop carries lemond , cannondale , trek
bikes. Any suggestion on a good cyclocross mail order company ?

Jim Edgar July 9th 03 06:09 PM

Cyclocross checklist

Drew Cutter at wrote on 7/9/03 8:34 AM:

Thanks . The local bike shop recommended a new bike instead . He
suggested redline . This is strictly a winter only bike and one I can
bang around with out worrying about the repair bill. Thought about using
my carnac mt. bike shoes . Colorado cyclist doesn't seem to have to much
in the way of cyclocross . The shop carries lemond , cannondale , trek
bikes. Any suggestion on a good cyclocross mail order company ?

LBS route:
Ask 'em if they can order a Surley Cross-Check frame for you through QBP.
Good Value, $-wise. You can get 'em as frames or built up.

Also, I've enjoyed my Lemond Poprad -

http://home.earthlink.net/~cyclofien...mondcross.html

- I do see a few of them available cheaply with pretty decent stock
components. Light steel, good clearance, nice behavior in a variety of
trail and racing conditions.

Mailorder route:
Sheldon/Harris - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/bikes.html (and you can
search for "cyclocross" there as well)
Cyclocross world - http://www.cyclocrossworld.com
CC tends to have stuff in the catalog closer to fall
Excel sports - http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=8&minor=0

Hope that helps,

-- Jim

Patrick O'Grady July 10th 03 04:34 AM

Cyclocross checklist

In article , Drew Cutter
wrote:

Thanks . The local bike shop recommended a new bike instead . He
suggested redline . This is strictly a winter only bike and one I can
bang around with out worrying about the repair bill. Thought about using
my carnac mt. bike shoes . Colorado cyclist doesn't seem to have to much
in the way of cyclocross . The shop carries lemond , cannondale , trek
bikes. Any suggestion on a good cyclocross mail order company ?

Hi, Drew,

Redline makes a fine blue-collar 'cross bike. Surly is another inexpensive
option, albeit a little heavy according to some of the folks I've spoken
with (haven't ridden one myself). There are lots of companies doing
decent, reasonably-priced aluminum 'cross bikes out there these days ...
I'd suggest shopping around and riding a few. It's a whole lot easier than
tweaking an old road frame. Swaps and shop bulletin boards are another
useful source of cheapo 'cross/winter bikes.

As to mail order, Excel Sports carries a bunch of 'cross stuff, as does
Schwab Cycles, cyclocrossworld.com and durance.com.

Regards,

Patrick O'Grady
Mad Dog Media

Lars Lehtonen July 12th 03 05:23 AM

Cyclocross checklist

According to Kevin :
Surly Crosscheck in Durace from Excel Sports for $1250 comes to mind. Did
you look at a Trek XO-1? Many good choices out there.

I'm reminded of my own cross-like frame from the Czech republic. In two
(three?) years I've seen some orangepeel in the powdercoat, but it's
been great otherwise.

http://www.fortframes.com