CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   pudendal nerve problem revisited (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=283)

Chris Smith August 2nd 03 03:40 PM

pudendal nerve problem revisited

HI,
Just an FYI to thank all the people for the input on the pudendal nerve
numbness I'd been experiencing. As the numbness and tingling was not getting
better I went to my Dr. and have been put on a course of Prednisone as well
as Vioxx and instructed to lay off riding for a couple weeks.

After researching set up etc. I found the bike shop had set my seat way too
high and my bars way too low, in my inexperience I didn't know the
difference. I did also get a Selle Italia prolink gel seat just as a
precaution, but I'm thinking the proper seat and bar adjustment would have
been sufficient.

CHris Smith

Chris Smith August 2nd 03 04:12 PM

pudendal nerve problem revisited

HI Rick,
Yes, very valid concerns with steroid usage. Fortunately this is a 6 day
"pack" and not for chronic long term usage which can have devastating side
effects, which my father experienced for his rheumatoid arthritis.

Thanks for the input!
Chris

Ryan Cousineau August 2nd 03 05:16 PM

pudendal nerve problem revisited

In article ,
"Chris Smith" wrote:

HI,
Just an FYI to thank all the people for the input on the pudendal nerve
numbness I'd been experiencing. As the numbness and tingling was not getting
better I went to my Dr. and have been put on a course of Prednisone as well
as Vioxx and instructed to lay off riding for a couple weeks.

After researching set up etc. I found the bike shop had set my seat way too
high and my bars way too low, in my inexperience I didn't know the
difference. I did also get a Selle Italia prolink gel seat just as a
precaution, but I'm thinking the proper seat and bar adjustment would have
been sufficient.

Seats are an amazingly personal thing. I have dumped two different stock
seats from my bicycles (the latter a really nice factory Pinarello suede
seat) in exchange for this ridiculous Selle Italia Nitrox (vinyl cover
over plastic shell, small, flat, hard, and minimally padded) seat that I
keep getting for $15 from my local sports swap store. Why? the first two
seats caused numbness in any position. The Nitrox, in all its
small-and-unyielding glory, is comfortable enough that I don't even
bother with any other road saddle.

In other words, it was probably your fit, but it could be just your
saddle.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club