CycleBanter.com

-   Unicycling (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   damage caused on unicycles (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=46820)

thinuniking August 24th 03 09:51 PM

damage caused on unicycles

the damage does not incule damage to your unicycle!!!

--
thinuniking - started trails unicycling

unicycle it is your right
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

chirokid August 25th 03 12:12 AM

damage caused on unicycles

thinuniking wrote:
i just had to ask who else has any one broken benches ect on there
unicycle? [/b]

TUK, the day I got my first unicycle, I attempted to break my father's
shin. Ended up just making his shin a bloody bruised mess, she swore he
thought I broke it! As most of you can visualize, in our stupidity of
unicycling mechanics, my Dad stood behind me and held my waist as I
tried to mount the uni. We all know where that other pedal planted,
yep, right on his shin...

Does that kind of damage count in your thread?

I should also mention, my Dad NEVER helped me mount my uni again, and
that was 32 years ago. --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

thinuniking August 25th 03 12:30 PM

damage caused on unicycles

yes that's the sort of stuff i want

JJuggle August 25th 03 07:55 PM

damage caused on unicycles

I confess. I knocked over a street sign in Long Beach Island, NJ once. I
was trying to mount my Coker towards the end of a long ride; I was too
tired to freemount and the street sign had come very loose and fell over
when I grabbed it.

Just to show what scum I was, some kind soul anonymously mailed back my
drivers license which had apparently fallen out of my, um, "small pack
that is strapped around the waist and has no proper name that does not
offend some nationality".

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

The Library exists ab eterno. This truth, whose immediate corollary is
the future eternity of the world, cannot be placed in doubt by any
reasonable mind. Man, the imperfect librarian, may be the product of
chance or of malevolent demiurgi; the universe, with its elegant
endowment of shelves, of enigmatical volumes, of inexhaustible stairways
for the traveler and latrines for the seated librarian, can only be the
work of a god.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

tomcopeland August 26th 03 05:06 AM

damage caused on unicycles

I broke my wrist when I fell off my 6’ giraffe when I was a teenager.
The sprocket slipped and the wheel went right out from underneath me. I
couldn’t write with the cast on my wrist and had to start college a
semester late.

My son kept jumping up on the brick planter by my front steps and
knocked some bricks loose. I had to tear several bricks out to repair
it properly.

We are very careful not to jump on public property that might be damaged
by our actions. I don’t want unicycling to get the same reputation as
skateboarding.

--
tomcopeland
tomcopeland's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/713

chirokid August 26th 03 05:25 AM

damage caused on unicycles

tomcopeland wrote:
*We are very careful not to jump on public property that might be
damaged by our actions. I don’t want unicycling to get the same
reputation as skateboarding. *

Tom, I am very glad to hear that attitude expressed. I can not jump on
anything, yet, but I hope I always keep your attitude when I can jump.

Multiple thumbs up to you. --chirokid--

James August 26th 03 06:53 AM

damage caused on unicycles

Thats my rule of thumb when out riding in public places, if its going to
cause any damage to the thing in riding on i won't go on it!

--
James
James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4185

dustin August 26th 03 06:29 PM

damage caused on unicycles

Two years ago I was part of a show at the Peruvian Naval Academy for
their officers and cadets. This is Peru's equivalent of Annapolis.
They had a very nice auditorium and stage set-up. Before the
performance I was warming up and experimenting with the stairs and
platform level to see what I could incorporate into my set. The stage
has about a 3-4 foot drop to the hardwood floor that covers the
orchestra pit.

I've dropped to many a wooden floor before and never thought twice about
it. This time I should have. Thankfully I did a rolling drop and
rolled out of my landing. When I landed there was a loud crack rather
than the usually dull thud as the floor splintered and cracked. This
left a nice hole where you could see into the darkness and void of the
orchestra pit. Had I not rolled the landing I may have gone through the
floor completely. I was quite embarrassed and was afraid I was going to
find out how the Peruvian Military punished its ranks.

In the lower left of the pic you can see the spot where I jumped off the
stage. Unfortunately this doesn't show the floor. This is the only
pic I have from that performance.

| Attachment filename: peru naval academy.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/158789|

dustin - on and off the road again

dustin kelm
www.dustinkelm.com isa40:30.31

"You are only limited by your imagination."
dustin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/920

johnfoss August 26th 03 06:57 PM

damage caused on unicycles

Kudos to Tomcopeland and James. My rule of thumb is that I will not
break or damage things that are not mine, and also that I will not leave
a mark. Same as going into a national park or other public space, since
it's for everyone and not just me, this should be the approach. Lately
I've taken to photographing obvious areas of skateboard/inline skate
damage, to show to people when they don't understand what I'm talking
about.

My most embarrassing damage was a hole in a wall. And this was recently!
For a while we were doing unicycle club meetings in a storefront
activities center formerly used by Joe's Joint, a part of my wife's
company, STEP (http://www.stepsite.com/joes.htm). I was warning Jacquie,
who was riding along the wall, to be careful when approaching the far
wall. "If the unicycle slips out, like this..." and it made a big hole
in the thin sheetrock. Big laughs, and so much for my warning about how
it hurts if you're still on the seat when the wheel hits the wall!

My friends and I made gouges in the wooden bleachers at SUNY Purchase
(New York) University at the 1983 IJA Festival. We were jumping up and
down, with spikey metal pedals. A prime example of what one should not
do. I have since learned my lesson.

I'm sure there have been many others, but those are the ones that come
to mind.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

thinuniking August 27th 03 09:18 AM

damage caused on unicycles

i also try not to break public property but some things like tyre marks
can not be helped.The bench i did break was my own but it came with the
house and was not up to being sat on any way as it was rotten and had a
hole at the back were one of the beams were missing. but if i am going
to use a public bench i never use one that is in memory of someone do
not ask why.