CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   speeding ticket (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=6)

salmoneous July 1st 03 03:50 PM

speeding ticket

Hmmm. Interesting discussion. Keep in mind that the most likely place
to get a bicycle speeding ticket in NYC is on the roadways of Central
Park. There is a specific bicycle limit that is fairly low (something
like 25mph) and is meant to protect the joggers/bladers/little old
ladies crossing the street.

Mark Hickey July 1st 03 05:45 PM

speeding ticket

(salmoneous) wrote:

Hmmm. Interesting discussion. Keep in mind that the most likely place
to get a bicycle speeding ticket in NYC is on the roadways of Central
Park. There is a specific bicycle limit that is fairly low (something
like 25mph) and is meant to protect the joggers/bladers/little old
ladies crossing the street.

I think it's 15mph (24km/h). 25mph would be way out of line for
Central Park most of the time.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

victor September 2nd 03 09:42 PM

speeding ticket

It's not so much the speeding tickets but the tickets for going through
lights that have been given to me on several occasions. I've also been
ticketed for biking in Washington Square Park at 7:30 AM on a cold winter
morning. Guess there bike tickets are built into the cost of living in NYC.

------------------------------------

victor

Earl Camembert September 3rd 03 12:43 AM

speeding ticket

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 20:42:11 GMT, "victor"
wrote:

It's not so much the speeding tickets but the tickets for going through
lights that have been given to me on several occasions. I've also been
ticketed for biking in Washington Square Park at 7:30 AM on a cold winter
morning. Guess there bike tickets are built into the cost of living in NYC.

------------------------------------

victor

Tickets of every sort are built into NYC budget now.

zeldabee September 3rd 03 01:55 AM

speeding ticket

Earl Camembert wrote:
"victor" wrote:

It's not so much the speeding tickets but the tickets for going through
lights that have been given to me on several occasions. I've also been
ticketed for biking in Washington Square Park at 7:30 AM on a cold
winter morning. Guess there bike tickets are built into the cost of
living in NYC.

Tickets of every sort are built into NYC budget now.

I never got a ticket riding in NYC, but then, I'm a boring vehicular
cyclist. Under normal circumstances, it wouldn't occur to me to ride
through Washington Square Park. I've run a light or two (though usually I
don't), but if I were caught, of course I'd get a ticket.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

bgaudet0801 September 3rd 03 02:03 AM

speeding ticket

"zeldabee" wrote in message
Earl Camembert wrote:
"victor" wrote:
I've also been
ticketed for biking in Washington Square Park at 7:30 AM on a cold
winter morning. Guess there bike tickets are built into the cost of
living in NYC.

[...]
Under normal circumstances, it wouldn't occur to me to ride
through Washington Square Park.

Could you please enlighten a non-New Yaw-w-w-wkah: Why don't the
powers-that-be permit or wish one to bicycle this park in particular? Or
parks in general??

Granted my experience is quaintly provincial but I've never seen a
park-posted as off-limits to bikes. Some hiking trails or wildlife
preservation areas, yes - but not urban parks.

zeldabee September 3rd 03 02:17 AM

speeding ticket

"bgaudet0801" wrote:
"zeldabee" wrote...
Earl Camembert wrote:
"victor" wrote:
I've also been
ticketed for biking in Washington Square Park at 7:30 AM on a cold
winter morning. Guess there bike tickets are built into the cost of
living in NYC.

[...]
Under normal circumstances, it wouldn't occur to me to ride
through Washington Square Park.

Could you please enlighten a non-New Yaw-w-w-wkah: Why don't the
powers-that-be permit or wish one to bicycle this park in particular? Or
parks in general??

There's no place for people to ride there. It's a small park, and is full
of peds day and night. People sit around on benches, or mill around
watching buskers and whatnot.

Granted my experience is quaintly provincial but I've never seen a
park-posted as off-limits to bikes. Some hiking trails or wildlife
preservation areas, yes - but not urban parks.

Actually, your question puzzles me. Larger parks, like Central and Prospect
Parks, have bike paths. Why would you want to ride around in a dinky,
crowded little park? It would take about 30 seconds to get from one end to
the other...assuming you didn't run down a ped on the way. Little children,
I can see...

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

bgaudet0801 September 3rd 03 02:28 AM

speeding ticket

"zeldabee" wrote in message
"bgaudet0801" wrote:

[...]
Granted my experience is quaintly provincial but I've never seen a
park-posted as off-limits to bikes. Some hiking trails or wildlife
preservation areas, yes - but not urban parks.

Actually, your question puzzles me. Larger parks, like Central and

Prospect
Parks, have bike paths. Why would you want to ride around in a dinky,
crowded little park? It would take about 30 seconds to get from one end to
the other...assuming you didn't run down a ped on the way. Little

children,
I can see...

That explains why one wouldn't want to ride that park as a _ride_. I use
small parks, parkettes and linking trails as transit corridors. It works
pretty well for this small city. The idea that a particular part might be
legally off-limits is surprising to me.

Earl Camembert September 3rd 03 02:40 AM

speeding ticket

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:03:33 GMT, "bgaudet0801"
wrote:

"zeldabee" wrote in message
Earl Camembert wrote:
"victor" wrote:
I've also been
ticketed for biking in Washington Square Park at 7:30 AM on a cold
winter morning. Guess there bike tickets are built into the cost of
living in NYC.

[...]
Under normal circumstances, it wouldn't occur to me to ride
through Washington Square Park.

Could you please enlighten a non-New Yaw-w-w-wkah: Why don't the
powers-that-be permit or wish one to bicycle this park in particular? Or
parks in general??

Granted my experience is quaintly provincial but I've never seen a
park-posted as off-limits to bikes. Some hiking trails or wildlife
preservation areas, yes - but not urban parks.

The cyclists would interfere with the Negroid individuals selling pot.

nubi September 3rd 03 04:18 AM

speeding ticket

wrote:

"zeldabee" wrote in message
Earl Camembert wrote:
"victor" wrote:
I've also been
ticketed for biking in Washington Square Park at 7:30 AM on a cold
winter morning. Guess there bike tickets are built into the cost of
living in NYC.

[...]
Under normal circumstances, it wouldn't occur to me to ride
through Washington Square Park.

Could you please enlighten a non-New Yaw-w-w-wkah: Why don't the
powers-that-be permit or wish one to bicycle this park in particular? Or
parks in general??

Granted my experience is quaintly provincial but I've never seen a
park-posted as off-limits to bikes. Some hiking trails or wildlife
preservation areas, yes - but not urban parks.

The cyclists would interfere with the Negroid individuals selling pot.

With all the police cameras in the park, I'm surprised anyone still
sells pot there.