CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Zvino Bicycle Rim - New Inventors (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=113525)

Claude August 12th 05 05:48 AM

Zvino Bicycle Rim - New Inventors

Don't know what it is but its on next week's New Inventors (ABC, 17 August)

Andrew Blake August 12th 05 06:24 AM

Zvino Bicycle Rim - New Inventors

Also: http://www.velocitywheels.com/zvino.htm

Good old Velocity. The Yanks love their rims.

"dtmeister" wrote in message
u...

http://tinyurl.com/9pfq7

Zoom August 12th 05 10:41 AM

dtmeister wrote:
Claude wrote:

Don't know what it is but its on next week's New Inventors (ABC, 17 August)

http://tinyurl.com/9pfq7

Is it really an improvement or just a gimmick?

I can't see any real improvement over existing wheel designs.

Zoom

Wayne Reid August 20th 05 01:26 PM

"jim" wrote in message

"Zoom" wrote in message
dtmeister wrote:
Claude wrote:

Don't know what it is but its on next week's New Inventors (ABC, 17
August)
http://tinyurl.com/9pfq7

why would you use it? And what about the hub?

Most (if not all) of the benefit would be to the wheel builder I think. The
guy who presented it said as much himself. For the very reason you suggest
(the hub) you aren't going to go out and remove a few spokes every so often,
or alter the pattern coz you saw some sweet looking wheels at the cafe in
Frankston.

WR

Terry Collins August 20th 05 05:30 PM

Zoom wrote:

Is it really an improvement or just a gimmick?

Having watched the prog, it is just another gimmick to me.

Con: expensive = restricted market. "I can buy a bicycle for that"

Con: aluminium = buckles easily

Con: weight. It looks as if it would be great for low spoke wheels for
racing, but he showed an mtb rim which is more metal. It makes more
sense to me to aim at the racing wheel market.

Con?: tubeless = poor sealing(?) for mtb.

Con: all wheels have to be hand built.

Pro: coloured bits in the rim which is easier than painting.
Pro: low spoke count wheels, if you can get the hub. thinking of a past
conversation where a bicycle only has to last long enough to pass the
finish line.

Pro: high spoke count wheels, if you can get the hubs to match.

Dave@FNQ August 21st 05 03:28 AM

"jim" wrote in message

Is it really an improvement or just a gimmick?

I can't see any real improvement over existing wheel designs.

Zoom

Is it really an improvement or just a gimmick?

I can't see any real improvement over existing wheel designs.

Zoom

The rim manufacturers would love them.

No tooling up to make different spoke count rims for each style of rim.

Same with bike shops, no more guessing if they should order 28 and 36 hole
MTB rims, with 32 being so common (and much more likely to sell).

And if you have a 28 or 36 spoke hub, then you will have a wider choice of
rims, which is likely to be in stock.

A bit like in the olden days before A-head / threadless steerers' tubes,
fork manufacturers had to make different length steerers for each model. Now
with threadless, all fork are made with the same long steerer length that is
cut down (not really practical with the wrong length threaded steerers -
more so with press fit steerers).

So if the manufacturers/ retailers see it as a way of cutting costs, I think
it has a good chance of becoming an 'industry standard' in the next few
years.

Rayc August 21st 05 11:50 AM

Terry Collins wrote:
Zoom wrote:

Is it really an improvement or just a gimmick?

Having watched the prog, it is just another gimmick to me.

Con: expensive = restricted market. "I can buy a bicycle for that"

Its not aimed at the lower end

Con: aluminium = buckles easily

are you for real? look at any bike that not Kmart, target or from a
toyshop, Aluminium can at least be straighened, unlike steel ( when its
bent, thats it) lets not even talk about the better braking surface.

Con: weight. It looks as if it would be great for low spoke wheels for
racing, but he showed an mtb rim which is more metal. It makes more
sense to me to aim at the racing wheel market.

you obviously have no current knowledge of the bike industry

Con?: tubeless = poor sealing(?) for mtb.

sealing for what, if you are in the ice age as far as the best rim
material, surely you're not refering to tubeless tyres

Con: all wheels have to be hand built.

again, these rims are not aimed at the bottom end of the market but as
replacement rims, or upgrades for bikes that are worthy of being
repaired. ( rim rebuilds cost approx $60+ (rim), $32/36 (spokes) and
hopefully reuse/rebuild hub + labour)

Pro: coloured bits in the rim which is easier than painting.

painting a rim? you are kidding , no?

Pro: low spoke count wheels, if you can get the hub. thinking of a past
conversation where a bicycle only has to last long enough to pass the
finish line.

low spoke counts last more than just the finishing line. Imaging
paying $1700 for a set of wheels that only last 50km!

Pro: high spoke count wheels, if you can get the hubs to match.

high spoke count? higher than what? they rims are designed to have as
many or as little spoke holes are the industry supplies in its hubs.

You obviously have no idea what this rims is designed for. the benefit
for the bike industry. The shops only have to carry or order one style
of rim, and not have to worry about how many spoke holes there are. as
long as you have the right style of rim, road or mtb, you can build the
wheel as needed to suit the hubs provided by customers repair or as
purchased in the building of new wheels

Terry Collins August 22nd 05 01:16 AM

Zvino Bicycle Rim - New Inventors

Rayc wrote:

the usually load of scummy crap because it is easier to **** on other
people than present their own 2c.

Con: aluminium = buckles easily

are you for real? look at any bike that not Kmart, target or from a
toyshop, Aluminium can at least be straighened, unlike steel ( when its
bent, thats it) lets not even talk about the better braking surface.

Okay, explain to me how I do that to remove buckles in my aluminium rims
and I will believe that you have a practical clue.

My experience is that with steel, buckles can generally be pulled out by
tightening a few spokes, but with aluminium it can buckle over a shorter
distance (between, 1,2 spokes) so you can not pull the buckle out.

I do a type of All Terrain Riding, never road or track, so that might
explain my type of buckles. I prefer steel there. I'll only use
aluminium on commuter over a good surface route. YMMV.

Con: weight. It looks as if it would be great for low spoke wheels for
racing, but he showed an mtb rim which is more metal. It makes more
sense to me to aim at the racing wheel market.

you obviously have no current knowledge of the bike industry

I was in Kmart the other day. I think that means I something about the
bigger part of the bicycle industry.

Con: all wheels have to be hand built.

again, these rims are not aimed at the bottom end of the market but as
replacement rims, or upgrades for bikes that are worthy of being
repaired. ( rim rebuilds cost approx $60+ (rim),

this rim costs only $60$?

Pro: coloured bits in the rim which is easier than painting.

painting a rim? you are kidding , no?

you obviously don't deal with a certain part of the bicycle industry.

Pro: low spoke count wheels, if you can get the hub. thinking of a past
conversation where a bicycle only has to last long enough to pass the
finish line.

low spoke counts last more than just the finishing line. Imaging
paying $1700 for a set of wheels that only last 50km!

Pro: high spoke count wheels, if you can get the hubs to match.

high spoke count? higher than what? they rims are designed to have as
many or as little spoke holes are the industry supplies in its hubs.

You obviously have no idea what this rims is designed for.

I'm only going on the presentation made on the New Inventors program.
Personally I think it is just another fad that will produce another
piece of unmaintainable crap. If it is still around in 20 years, then
I'll change my mind.

the benefit for the bike industry.

don't you mean a segment of the bike industry?

The "bike industry" is definitely not uniform.

The shops only have to carry or order one style of rim,

Hmm, the "bike industry" now believes one style fits all?

and not have to worry about how many spoke holes there are.

agreed. Inventory and machinery reduction for custom bulders is one benefit.

as long as you have the right style of rim, road or mtb,

he only presented a mtb rim.
Perhaps I missed the mention of these other two.

you can build the
wheel as needed to suit the hubs provided by customers repair or as
purchased in the building of new wheels

So, you total argument is that a few custom wheel builders can reduce
their inventory. Yawn.

If nothing else, that should tell you something about the state/mindset
of part of australian bicycle industry.

tony f August 22nd 05 02:15 AM

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
Zoom wrote:

Is it really an improvement or just a gimmick?

Having watched the prog, it is just another gimmick to me.

Con: expensive = restricted market. "I can buy a bicycle for that"

Well, yeah, it was aimed at the high end market. I certainly understood that
from the show.

Con: aluminium = buckles easily

Yes, but I'd still rather have an aluminium rim. If you're not running discs
(another fad - to some), aluminium rims stop better in the rain.

Con: weight. It looks as if it would be great for low spoke wheels for
racing, but he showed an mtb rim which is more metal. It makes more
sense to me to aim at the racing wheel market.

You're worried about weight but recommend steel rims? ;^)

Con?: tubeless = poor sealing(?) for mtb.

Tubeless is the new black. Sealing existing rims is the biggest problem with
current tubeless arrangements. I can't see how rims with no holes could be
worse for sealing a tubeless tyre than "ordinary" holey rims.

Con: all wheels have to be hand built.

At the level they're aimed at, most riders would want their wheels hand
built. Hand building is generally stronger than machine built.

Pro: coloured bits in the rim which is easier than painting.

ummm... I thought these looked tacky, but could be fixed for production.

Pro: low spoke count wheels, if you can get the hub. thinking of a past
conversation where a bicycle only has to last long enough to pass the
finish line.

If you can get the hub? I thought an advantage was that they'd work with
whatever hub you have.

Pro: high spoke count wheels, if you can get the hubs to match.

Again - use what you have. And it shouldn't be too hard to obtain a hub with
whatever number of holes you want.

I think you're looking at them from the POV of an "average recreational
rider". I don't think that's the intended market at all. Time will tell if
they work, and if they do, then prices will come down, and they'll trickle
their way down to average spec bikes. Look at mtbs - suspension was a
gimmick at first - but it works, and works well - now it's hard to buy a mtb
without suspension. Discs were a gimmick at first, but they've proved so
effective and popular they've trickled down to K-Mart level.

Sure, the massive "third world" markets won't snap them up, and sure they
won't have spares in that little village where you broke down as you trek
across Asia. Simple for those markets is better. However, in societies where
we have a few extra dollars, there's plenty of people who'll want to pay
extra to gain some small performance edge. The same market that uses low
spoke wheels, or fits top line components rather than adequate components,
or even has (gasp) more than 3 gears.

Me? I'll just go on using traditional style aluminium wheels until the price
comes down - then I might be in a position to make more informed comment.

Tony F