CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Truing a wheel (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=223422)

Geoff Lock[_2_] December 5th 10 08:46 AM

Truing a wheel

Apologies for bitching about this again, but you know what it is like -
you know it should work but it doesn't :(

I have had a problem truing my rear wheel and so I saved up some money
and got myself a truing stand and a dishing tool. Having these tools
will make me an expert wheelbuilder - or so I thought.

I have also "carefully" read Sheldon Brown's tutorial on wheelbuilding
(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html), so I am now ready for
ANYTHING.

Having produced wonderful almost egg-shaped wobbly wheels in my previous
attempts by eye, I was certain that my new efforts with my new toys,
eeerrrr.. tools, would give me a precisely round and perfectly straight
wheel.

Now, 4hrs later, I have given up, loosen all my carefully tightened
spokes and my wheel is now ****ed!! DO YOU HEAR ME?? IT IS ****ED!!! HOW
IN THE HELL AM I GONNA GET AROUND TOMORROW, EH?? :(

Sorry for that outburst - it was good to get it off my chest. I know I
just have to start all over again - that's all.

I am no closer to that elusive round and straight wheel :(

Lateral trueing and eliminating dishing are relatively easy to achieve,
even without the trueing stand and dish tool, but I suspect there must
be some tricks in getting vertical truing but I'll be damned if I knew
what they were.

I am gonna re-read Sheldon Brown's instructions on getting rid of high
spots in lateral trueing, having something to eat, have another beer and
try again.

Tomasso[_6_] December 5th 10 11:28 AM

Truing a wheel

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message ...
[...]

I have limited experience - ie, have seen it done a couple of times, and
I have backed off and trued a (rear) wheel that was not good but the rim
was not majorly off. My lessons: do the lacing first (obviously), get the
radial (which you call vertical) correct as possible next, and then
dishing+lateral (and minor issues) last - small adjustments and re-checking
the radial pretty often. For lateral, do large sections at a time (could be
8 spokes per side) first before attempting smaller (eg back off 2 spokes
on one side by 1/2 or 1/4 turn, tightening three on the other, recheck
everything and look for the next...

Trying to get the radial right after lateral and dishing sounds like a nightmare.

If it's not a new rim, it may have issues.

T.

PS: Four hours? I probably spent close to that time. Wheel builder was more
like 20 minutes.

BT Humble[_3_] December 5th 10 11:14 PM

Truing a wheel

Geoff Lock wrote:
I am no closer to that elusive round and straight wheel :(

It takes a lot of practice. I'm pretty crap at getting the radial
(vertical) aspect right, I usually end up considering getting within 1mm
as being adequate. :-)

BTH

Posted at www.usenet.com.au

Geoff Lock[_2_] December 6th 10 02:32 AM

Truing a wheel

On 5/12/2010 10:28 PM, Tomasso wrote:

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message

I am gonna re-read Sheldon Brown's instructions on getting rid of high
spots in lateral trueing, having something to eat, have another beer
and try again.

was not majorly off. My lessons: do the lacing first (obviously), get
the radial (which you call vertical) correct as possible next, and then

Hm, I did try getting the vertical/radical first and it makes it a bit
easier and the wheel is now a bit rounder.

Trying to get the radial right after lateral and dishing sounds like a
nightmare.

You are not wrong there.

If it's not a new rim, it may have issues.

I think I have issues :)

PS: Four hours? I probably spent close to that time. Wheel builder was more
like 20 minutes.

20mins!! Man, I wish :)

Geoff Lock[_2_] December 6th 10 02:35 AM

Truing a wheel

On 6/12/2010 10:14 AM, BT Humble wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:
I am no closer to that elusive round and straight wheel :(

It takes a lot of practice. I'm pretty crap at getting the radial
(vertical) aspect right, I usually end up considering getting within 1mm
as being adequate. :-)

1mm is damn good! :) So far, by starting on the vertical and getting it
sorta right, and moving onto the lateral, and rechecking the vertical
has worked for me (kind of), but I am still nowhere near that 1mm :) I
think I have a flat bit on my rim.

Rob December 7th 10 06:15 AM

Truing a wheel

On 5/12/2010 7:46 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
[...]

I have tried to build a wheel and failed. I have tried to change all
the nipples, one at a time, and failed.

I can true a wheel and keep the dish correct.

Geoff Lock[_2_] December 7th 10 03:00 PM

Truing a wheel

On 7/12/2010 5:15 PM, Rob wrote:
On 5/12/2010 7:46 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:

I am no closer to that elusive round and straight wheel :(

I have tried to build a wheel and failed. I have tried to change all the
nipples, one at a time, and failed.

In my case, my failure is primarily in making the wheel round :) I have
found that egg-shaped wheels CAN actually go around and around but one
needs to get use to the additional ... eeerrr.. stimulation (?) around
the sphincter region from the seat :)

I can true a wheel and keep the dish correct.

I am reading that as being lateral trueing, right?

Dishing is easy to fix with the -ahem- professional truing stand I now
possess :) Awright, awright, it looks like a real professional truing
stand , ok? :)

terryc December 7th 10 11:59 PM

Truing a wheel

Geoff Lock wrote:

I am no closer to that elusive round and straight wheel :(

New materials, yes.
Old materials very, very hard.

BTW, what tension release do people use whilst building?
I grab bunches of four spokes and squeeze.
It get really tedious when you get down to trning the nipples 1/8 of a turn.

Geoff Lock[_2_] December 8th 10 01:57 AM

Truing a wheel

On 8/12/2010 10:59 AM, terryc wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:

I am no closer to that elusive round and straight wheel :(

New materials, yes.
Old materials very, very hard.

I suspect that is my real problem as I have one area on the wheel which
seems flatter - almost as though that section has been bumped real hard :(

BTW, what tension release do people use whilst building?
I grab bunches of four spokes and squeeze.
It get really tedious when you get down to trning the nipples 1/8 of a
turn.

I grab a coupla of spokes on each side and squeeze.

Tomasso[_6_] December 8th 10 10:40 AM

Truing a wheel

"terryc" wrote in message
Geoff Lock wrote:

I am no closer to that elusive round and straight wheel :(

New materials, yes.
Old materials very, very hard.

BTW, what tension release do people use whilst building?
I grab bunches of four spokes and squeeze.

A pair at a time, and make sure each one gets squeezed left and right...

It get really tedious when you get down to trning the nipples 1/8 of a turn.