CycleBanter.com

-   -   Hull bus lanes to be enforced all day to help cyclists feel safer (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=259766)

Simon Mason[_6_] July 3rd 20 10:22 PM

Hull bus lanes to be enforced all day to help cyclists feel safer

Pity they weren't when I was commuting across the city.
QUOTE:
Regulations preventing cars in Hull from driving in bus lanes have been extended to cover the whole working day.

Hull City Council said the move has been made to enforce the rules from 7am to 6.30pm in order to make cyclists feel safer on the road.

The move, which will be enforced from Monday, July 13, comes as part of the council’s plans to overhaul its cycling infrastructure and encourage more people to choose an active form of travel.

Signs will go up across the city on all bus lanes from Monday, July 6, to remind motorists of these upcoming changes.

Councillor Daren Hale, portfolio holder for economic investment, regeneration and planning, said: “As part of the implementation of pop-up cycle lanes we are extending the operational time of all existing bus lanes in the city centre across the day rather than just the morning and evening peak travel times.

“The first step is to extend the times then later in the summer we will be relining and marking the routes to make them much more visible for cyclists. We will also be looking at how we can assist cyclists along the route where there isn’t a bus lane to use.

“At this stage we are not amending any of the waiting, parking or loading restrictions already in place.”

The measures are temporary under an experimental traffic regulation order and will not be made permanent until a consultation has taken place.

Councillor Hale said: “It is crucial to remember that it was a condition of the Government money to start the work immediately. This means we have to consult after implementation and plan and review as we go on.”

The public can submit their comments about these changes to .

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...ll-day-4289929