CycleBanter.com

-   Racing (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Calling all Belgians (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=158985)

Bret April 5th 07 04:21 AM

Calling all Belgians

The USA is sending Belgium a new ambassador and I don't mean Jonathan
Page. Please give him the welcome he deserves. Please TP his house or
whatever the local customs dictate.

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002952.php

Bret

Howard Kveck April 5th 07 06:44 AM

Calling all Belgians

In article .com,
"Bret" wrote:

The USA is sending Belgium a new ambassador and I don't mean Jonathan
Page. Please give him the welcome he deserves. Please TP his house or
whatever the local customs dictate.

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002952.php

He sure loves that recess appointment trick, doesn't he?

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

John Forrest Tomlinson April 5th 07 11:41 AM

OT Calling all Belgians

On 4 Apr 2007 20:21:29 -0700, "Bret" wrote:

The USA is sending Belgium a new ambassador and I don't mean Jonathan
Page. Please give him the welcome he deserves. Please TP his house or
whatever the local customs dictate.

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002952.php

More evidence (as if we needed it) that Bush doesn't regognize a role
for other branches of government.
--
JT
****************************

Bill C April 5th 07 12:13 PM

OT Calling all Belgians

On Apr 5, 6:41 am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On 4 Apr 2007 20:21:29 -0700, "Bret" wrote:

The USA is sending Belgium a new ambassador and I don't mean Jonathan
Page. Please give him the welcome he deserves. Please TP his house or
whatever the local customs dictate.

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002952.php

More evidence (as if we needed it) that Bush doesn't regognize a role
for other branches of government.
--
JT
****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visithttp://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Does this mean you'd agree with blocking everyone who's donated to
MoveOn.org too? They've done more than their share of attack pieces
too.
Bill C

John Forrest Tomlinson April 5th 07 12:58 PM

OT Calling all Belgians

wrote:
On 4 Apr 2007 20:21:29 -0700, "Bret" wrote:

The USA is sending Belgium a new ambassador and I don't mean Jonathan
Page. Please give him the welcome he deserves. Please TP his house or
whatever the local customs dictate.

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002952.php

More evidence (as if we needed it) that Bush doesn't regognize a role
for other branches of government.

Does this mean you'd agree with blocking everyone who's donated to
MoveOn.org too? They've done more than their share of attack pieces
too.

Well I didn't comment on Fox but rather on Bush, but I'll answer your
question anyway.

Every large organization will have some members of it that tell lies
or mislead. Moveon, NRA, RNC, Democratic Party, NOW, Catholic
Church...the list goes on.

I don' think supporters of any of these should be kept out of
government service.

The Swiftboat Veterans were 100% about lies designed to influence the
presidential election. The role of Congress in appointments is to
look at the overall picture of nominees. Sure, someone who funds
explicit lies to influence a presidential election and then pretends
he didn't realize how bad it was while speaking to Congress doesn't
deserve to serve our country.

--
JT
****************************

RonSonic April 5th 07 01:32 PM

OT Calling all Belgians

wrote:
[...]

"(E)xplicit lies to influence a presidential election." sounds a lot like the
Kerry campaign. You know the guy who was running guns to the Khmer Rouge on
Christmas of 1968 at the orders of Richard Nixon. When a guy who says crap like
that is praised as a war hero then you're damn right people will pay money to
oppose him.

Bill C April 5th 07 01:59 PM

OT Calling all Belgians

wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately flat out liars have been a huge part of our political
process forever. I agree that he shouldn't have even been nominated
for the post, but it's pretty typical of taking care of donors and
activists. Bill Clinton did a great job of it too.
There's so much crap going on that's based purely on political
character assasination and not merit it's ridiculous.
I've got a little different spin on the US attorneys mess too. While
it's obvious that just about everyone from the administration that was
involved is pretty sleazy at best, and Gonzales is a criminal scumbag
the issue itself is BS.
Traditionally when a new President takes over, and most have done it,
they fire the previous ones and replace them with their politcal
supporters who meet their particular political litmus test, wholesale.
Based purely on ideology and cronyism, just what they are accusing
Bush of, except that Bush kept far more of Clinton's democratic
appointees on and waited, evaluated, and replaced a handful based on
the same criteria that usually caused the wholesale dismissals without
any evaluation at all.
There's no way you can argue that ideology today isnt THE basis for
legal positions that are appointed today either. The Courts, right up
to and including the Supreme Court, and the confirmation process make
that clear as it can be. One of the things that gets glossed over is
that the Democrats, during this adeministration have blocked more
nominees to court positions than were blocked by a Republican
controlled Congress did to Clinton, and by a huge margin.
There are definitely out of the norm things in Kerry's military
record and I suspect that it is the typical inflation for somone who
had connections.
Bush sure as hell got away with a lot more, and I can't stand Kerry,
but in the end you can't say he didn't do his job, and fairly well
while in service.
You really have to dig to find it now, but the Naval investigating
board had, initially, actually recommended that JFK face charges,
including dereliction of duty for the PT109 incident. That changed in
a hurry due to the pressure his father brought to bear, and the fact
that we really could have used a "Hero" story at that point in the war
and noone denies that JFK was heroic after he got his boat cut in half
so it wasn't too hard, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he as
commander he was asleep with noone standing watch, which is why they
recommended the charges. It's was actually exploited similarly to
with what they did with Pat Tillman.
The great naval historian S.E. Morrison had included the whole
incident in one of his books, but the rest of his works follow the
"new" official Naval version.
If you are connected you get treated differently, in the civilian
justice system too.
Bill C

Bob Schwartz April 5th 07 04:18 PM

Calling all Belgians

Bret wrote:
The USA is sending Belgium a new ambassador and I don't mean Jonathan
Page. Please give him the welcome he deserves. Please TP his house or
whatever the local customs dictate.

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002952.php

Bret

Great troll, well formed and with good potential. Tailor
made for guys like Bill C and Kunich. Good work.

Shame you didn't cross-post the **** out of it to maximize
the audience. I think that'll cut down the run time, but
we'll see.

Bob Schwartz

Bill C April 5th 07 06:17 PM

Calling all Belgians

On Apr 5, 11:18 am, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
Bret wrote:
The USA is sending Belgium a new ambassador and I don't mean Jonathan
Page. Please give him the welcome he deserves. Please TP his house or
whatever the local customs dictate.

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002952.php

Bret

Great troll, well formed and with good potential. Tailor
made for guys like Bill C and Kunich. Good work.

Shame you didn't cross-post the **** out of it to maximize
the audience. I think that'll cut down the run time, but
we'll see.

Bob Schwartz

Nah, JT got me in. Not much to really talk about here. They all reward
their donors no matter how sleazy so what's to discuss other than
maybe Tom going off. Realistically, how tough a job is ambassador to
Belgium?
Bill C

Ewoud Dronkert April 5th 07 07:58 PM

Calling all Belgians

Bill C wrote:
Realistically, how tough a job is ambassador to Belgium?

You have to (learn to) speak French and Dutch.

--
E. Dronkert