CycleBanter.com

-   -   Go Simon Go!! - The result (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=101106)

Simon Brooke August 10th 05 04:57 PM

Go Simon Go!! - The result

in message , JohnB ') wrote:

MartinM wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:

What is 'vet standard time'?

Hmm, you're asking now,from memory I think it's an average time that
riders do once over the age of 40; starts at 1.06.30 for a 25 at the
age of 40 IIRC and increases by 30s every year of age or therabouts;
www.rttc.org.uk should have it all.

Or even the vtta as he

http://www.vtta.org.uk/standard.html

It seems a 50 year old should be aiming to beat 27mins 33 secs.

Oh good, so they don't even agree, then?

CTT says 00:26:54
URL:http://www.cyclingtimetrials.nt-webspace.net/pages/resources/vets_targets_1.htm
And, as I say, nae chance. 27 and a half minutes looks a tad more
credible, but is still stretching it for me.

Never mind, I'm as fast as a 62 year old, apparently...

There are even Standards for 109 year old riders :-0

I knew TT's were mainly for riders 'getting on a bit in years' but
...109 ...I mean...
Blimey.

Old cyclists never die, they just get cranky...

There are no messages. The above is just a random stream of
bytes. Any opinion or meaning you find in it is your own creation.

dkahn400 August 10th 05 05:11 PM

Go Simon Go!! - The result

Arthur Clune wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote:

We'll have at most two or three more cracks at the Craignair
course before my birthday.

Then I'd expect you to go under 30 mins before your birthday then.

No question in my mind, barring injuries or ludicrously bad weather.

(Spits into hands, turns round 3 times, touches wood, mutters, "God
forbid.")

--
Dave...

Chas August 10th 05 05:29 PM

Go Simon Go!! - The result

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:58:38 +0100, "Andrew"
wrote:

Conditions were a bit windy tonight
Alison and I were out warming up on the course and Simon was off number 2
and passed us looking very stylish and fast, nice low tuck, yellow cap
adding a touch of class to the outfit - Alison commented that he looked
smooth and fast
When we passed him on the turn he acknowledged us but didn't wave this time,
saving those precious seconds - the boy was on a mission
A nasty headwind on the way back slowed a lot of people down but Simon
rolled on looking smooth

At the finish, times were read out, I didn't hear Simons time but I did hear
the phrase "Bugger" waft across the group

People of uk.rec.cycling - you didn't try hard enough, there was not enough
will power from the group

30 mins 6 secs

Simon, come out with me for a few interval sessions and we will wipe those 6
seconds of the map!

What is the average vertical distance climbed per mile for these
courses?

I checked the VTTA site, but couldn't find any details about the
actual courses.

Tony Raven August 10th 05 06:26 PM

Go Simon Go!! - The result

Simon Brooke wrote:

Well, my times for that course for this year are as follows:

Apr 12, 2005 Simon Brooke 34:25
Apr 26, 2005 Simon Brooke 32:45
May 17, 2005 Simon Brooke 32:23
May 31, 2005 Simon Brooke 31:29
Jun 14, 2005 Simon Brooke 31:22
Jul 12, 2005 Simon Brooke 30:32
Aug 9, 2005 Simon Brooke 30:06

Look on the bright side. Continuing with that rate of improvement, I
reckon by Christmas 2007 you will be finishing before you started ;-)

--
Tony

Anon

MartinM August 10th 05 07:19 PM

Doping was Go Simon Go!! - The result

JohnB wrote:
Clive George wrote:

At what level do the drug rules come into effect?

As soon as you enter an event where the organising body has rules
relating to drugs.

Googling a bit about Tom Simpson has revealed a fairly heavy conspiracy
of silence about doping, and a lot of unpleasant mud slinging by people
who should know better. Personally I think doping in cycling needs to
be kicked firmly out into the open and the gutter.

Someone once justified doping to me on the basis that if I wasn't
feeling too good but had to go to work I would take something, so
professional cyclists were Ok to do it as their livelihood depended on
it; fortunately a minority view.

Clive George August 10th 05 07:25 PM

Doping was Go Simon Go!! - The result

"MartinM" wrote in message
oups.com...

JohnB wrote:
Clive George wrote:

At what level do the drug rules come into effect?

As soon as you enter an event where the organising body has rules
relating to drugs.

Googling a bit about Tom Simpson has revealed a fairly heavy conspiracy
of silence about doping, and a lot of unpleasant mud slinging by people
who should know better. Personally I think doping in cycling needs to
be kicked firmly out into the open and the gutter.

See also Graham Obree's comments on the matter.

I'm not talking about doping though. I'm talking about stuff people take to
stay alive (literally).

cheers,
clive

Simon Brooke August 10th 05 07:26 PM

Go Simon Go!! - The result

in message , Chas

wrote:

[...]

I don't know about 'these courses' but 'this course' is from here
URL:http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=282300&y=560395&z=4
to he
URL:http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=280165&y=553635&z=4
and return. As it's an 'out and back' course there's obviously no net
climb but as you can see there are small hills at Kirkennan and at
Screel. I'm told that there are a lot of time trial courses,
particularly in the south of England, which are on busy trunk-road dual
carriageways, so I can't tell you whether ours is in any way typical.

;; For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth
;; knowledge increaseth sorrow.." - Ecclesiastes 1:18

MartinM August 10th 05 07:58 PM

Clive George wrote:

See also Graham Obree's comments on the matter.

links please?

Clive George August 10th 05 08:06 PM

Doping was Go Simon Go!! - The result

"MartinM" wrote in message
ups.com...

Clive George wrote:

See also Graham Obree's comments on the matter.

links please?

Sorry, don't have any. It's mentioned in his book. When he joined a pro
squad, he was expected to put up a couple of grand for 'medication' or
somesuch. He didn't, and left not much later.

cheers,
clive

MartinM August 10th 05 08:17 PM

Go Simon Go!! - The result

Simon Brooke wrote:

As it's an 'out and back' course there's obviously no net
climb

but still climbs and falls en route surely even if it ends up at the
same place. Not sure how a TT qualifies as hilly; for an audax it needs
to be a minimum of 1500m in 100km but probably a lot less for a TT. As
most TT courses were devised in about 1492 there must be a fairly old
fashioned formula for calculating them.