CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Minnesota Winters (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=197984)

Jorg Lueke December 12th 08 07:46 PM

Minnesota Winters

The weather is not the only problem in Minnesota

http://www.startribune.com/local/wes...?elr=KArksUUUU

On Dec 12, 10:56*am, "Jeff Grippe" wrote:
I'm going shopping for a place in Tucson, AZ during the week between xmas
and new years.

What does this have to do with biking you might ask.

You should see the bike lanes in Tucson. This is a city that was designed
for having cyclists and cars share the road.

There are separate lanes (of course) with a divider. There are traffic
signals for the cyclists. There are lanes on some of the highways. It is
setup the way a city should be that wants people to cycle.

New York City (which is not where I live) has embarked on an agressive
campaign to put in real bike lane but 1. I don't live in NYC and 2. It is
still a dangerous place to ride a bike.

I think that Tucson is rated #3 in some lists of top cities for cyclist.
Seattle, I believe, is #1 but I personally couldn't take the climate. With
all my various broken and repaired parts, I need dry. I understand that
Seattle is a fantastic place to live but its just not for me. Portland, I've
heard is also quite good but I have the same climate problems. So when I'm
ready to leave NY, I think I'll head to Tucson.

Jeff"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Has it ever occurred to anyone but me that this earth is just barely
inhabitable by us humans? Now is the winter of my discontent. Minnesota is
colder than ever. I am cold all the time. Damn these northern climes!

My idea of paradise is a warm climate year around. Minnesota is miserable
in the winter and not much better in the spring and the fall. Only the
summers redeem this confounded state.

I dream of Panama. Oh, to *reside in a warm climate year around! Who could
ask for anything more. But I am cursed by my Irish ancestors who settled
in this inhospitable land of Minnesota. I have spent all of my life (over
70 years) cursing this god forsaken land. I am sick to death of the cold.
God damn this ****ing state of Minnesota all the way to Hell and back!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka