CycleBanter.com

-   -   Police pick on cyclist (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=197601)

Roger Thorpe[_6_] December 2nd 08 10:15 AM

Police pick on cyclist

Doug wrote:
The irony is that by not having lights he was putting himself far more
at risk of death from being hit by a driver than by being a danger to
anyone else, unlike say a car with no lights.

Well, Doug. Having very nearly ridden into an unlit cyclist a few times,
I'd think it fair to say that the risk to others, including pedestrians
is considerable.
Roger Thorpe

calum December 2nd 08 10:18 AM

Police pick on cyclist

On Dec 1, 10:28*pm, Paul Weaver wrote:

Taking his DNA, and even after proven not guilty not deleting the
record- Hide quoted text -

Ramblings of another over-active imagination?

Calum

Light of Aria[_2_] December 2nd 08 11:10 AM

Police pick on cyclist

"Roger Thorpe" wrote in message
Doug wrote:
The irony is that by not having lights he was putting himself far more
at risk of death from being hit by a driver than by being a danger to
anyone else, unlike say a car with no lights.

Well, Doug. Having very nearly ridden into an unlit cyclist a few times,
I'd think it fair to say that the risk to others, including pedestrians is
considerable.
Roger Thorpe

Unlit cyclists (at night) are a menace especially the prats that fly round
corners unable to stop should someone be coming along.

judith smith December 2nd 08 11:46 AM

Police pick on cyclist

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:00:47 -0000, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
Anyway, he was arrested for refusing to giv to give e his name and address
which is quite common.

Which are you saying is quite common? Failing to give a name and address or
being arrested for failing to do so when legally required?

Colin Bignell

Are you just trying to set a trap for him? Why not explain the subtle
difference to everyone?

David Hansen December 2nd 08 11:58 AM

Police pick on cyclist

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:28:32 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Paul
Weaver wrote this:-

Taking his DNA, and even after proven not guilty not deleting the
record

Not in this country. However, the Justice Minister has muttered
occasionally about adopting the model from down south.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen December 2nd 08 12:05 PM

Police pick on cyclist

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:25:00 -0800 (PST) someone who may be PeterG
wrote this:-

Like all road users he should check his light before he made his
journey.

According to the article he says he did. "But Mr Cimini challenged
this, claiming he had left his flat with both lights working"

Next.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Doug[_3_] December 2nd 08 12:07 PM

Police pick on cyclist

On 2 Dec, 09:00, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

Anyway, he was arrested for refusing to giv to give e his name and address
which is quite common.

Which are you saying is quite common? Failing to give a name and address or
being arrested for failing to do so when legally required?

Arrested for failing to do so whether legally required or not.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net

Colin Reed December 2nd 08 12:08 PM

Police pick on cyclist

"JNugent" wrote in message
You were asking for a section and you called it a clause.

Well whoop-de-bloody-doo. Next you'll be telling us that crumble isn't made
from fruit, only from apples.

Doug[_3_] December 2nd 08 12:10 PM

Police pick on cyclist

On 2 Dec, 10:15, Roger Thorpe wrote:
Doug wrote:
The irony is that by not having lights he was putting himself far more
at risk of death from being hit by a driver than by being a danger to
anyone else, unlike say a car with no lights.

Well, Doug. Having very nearly ridden into an unlit cyclist a few times,
I'd think it fair to say that the risk to others, including pedestrians
is considerable.
Roger Thorpe

Well, Roger. Having been run down and injured by a driver who even
failed to see my lights the risk to me was considerable and to no one
else.

--
Carfree Cities
http://www.carfree.com/

Roger Thorpe[_6_] December 2nd 08 12:19 PM

Police pick on cyclist

Doug wrote:
The irony is that by not having lights he was putting himself far more
at risk of death from being hit by a driver than by being a danger to
anyone else, unlike say a car with no lights.

Well, Doug. Having very nearly ridden into an unlit cyclist a few times,
I'd think it fair to say that the risk to others, including pedestrians
is considerable.
Roger Thorpe

Well, Roger. Having been run down and injured by a driver who even
failed to see my lights the risk to me was considerable and to no one
else.

That makes it alright then.