CycleBanter.com

-   -   Feeling strong (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257561)

db[_2_] June 9th 19 10:06 AM

Feeling strong

Some days, on my way to work, it all feels great, I zoom along,
the bike responds beautifully, I feel strong today, wow. Then
I realise, I've got a tail wind.

--
Dieter Britz

Tom Kunich[_5_] June 10th 19 06:13 PM

Feeling strong

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 2:06:14 AM UTC-7, db wrote:
Some days, on my way to work, it all feels great, I zoom along,
the bike responds beautifully, I feel strong today, wow. Then
I realise, I've got a tail wind.

--
Dieter Britz

The wind was blowing so hard last Thursday that on a descent that I usually averaged about 22 I could barely hold 12. Now THAT makes you feel old and slow.

Sir Ridesalot June 10th 19 08:45 PM

Feeling strong

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 1:13:44 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 2:06:14 AM UTC-7, db wrote:
Some days, on my way to work, it all feels great, I zoom along,
the bike responds beautifully, I feel strong today, wow. Then
I realise, I've got a tail wind.

--
Dieter Britz

The wind was blowing so hard last Thursday that on a descent that I usually averaged about 22 I could barely hold 12. Now THAT makes you feel old and slow.

I hear you! I did a ride from Peterborough, Ontario to Toronto, Ontario one day on an MTB with full knobby tires when the wind was VERY strong out of the south. Even on t he hills and pedaling REALLY hard I could get up to about 10 kph. I thumbed a ride and a guy drove me the 20 kms to Whitby, Ontario. That guy's ride saved me 2 hours of hard slugging. Once I turned right towards Toronto it wasn't too bad.

Frank Krygowski[_2_] June 11th 19 04:17 AM

Feeling strong

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 3:45:43 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I remember doing a multi-day ride from Toronto to my home in NE Ohio. Riding
along the south shore of Lake Erie into a blasting headwind, I was on my on my
aero bars for mile after mile after mile, watching my cyclometer say "8 mph.."

It takes an immense amount of training to give as much benefit as a 10 mph
tailwind, or to overcome the effect of a 10 mph headwind.

- Frank Krygowski

jOHN b. June 11th 19 06:07 AM

Feeling strong

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 20:17:52 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

The real mystery is "why is there always have a head wind when on the
way back home" ?-)
--
cheers,

John B.

[email protected] June 11th 19 06:31 AM

Feeling strong

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 4:06:14 AM UTC-5, db wrote:
Some days, on my way to work, it all feels great, I zoom along,
the bike responds beautifully, I feel strong today, wow. Then
I realise, I've got a tail wind.

--
Dieter Britz

Hmmmm???? I can honestly say I have never ever not known I have a tailwind and think I'm going fast because I am strong. I always know exactly what the wind is doing and know whether it is a positive, negative, or neutral effect.

Duane[_2_] June 11th 19 01:17 PM

Feeling strong

wrote:

[...]

No, the real mystery is why there is always a head wind.

Duane[_2_] June 11th 19 01:22 PM

Feeling strong

On 11/06/2019 1:31 a.m., wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 4:06:14 AM UTC-5, db wrote:
Some days, on my way to work, it all feels great, I zoom along,
the bike responds beautifully, I feel strong today, wow. Then
I realise, I've got a tail wind.

--
Dieter Britz

Hmmmm???? I can honestly say I have never ever not known I have a tailwind and think I'm going fast because I am strong. I always know exactly what the wind is doing and know whether it is a positive, negative, or neutral effect.

Same here. A friend of mine put it nicely. He says happiness is
nothing. When the wind stops blowing in your ears (you hear nothing),
it's a tail wind.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] June 11th 19 04:38 PM

Feeling strong

On 6/11/2019 1:31 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 4:06:14 AM UTC-5, db wrote:
Some days, on my way to work, it all feels great, I zoom along,
the bike responds beautifully, I feel strong today, wow. Then
I realise, I've got a tail wind.

--
Dieter Britz

Hmmmm???? I can honestly say I have never ever not known I have a tailwind and think I'm going fast because I am strong. I always know exactly what the wind is doing and know whether it is a positive, negative, or neutral effect.

I agree. It's easy to observe the effects of wind on leaves, tree
branches, occasional flags, etc. In fact, I once memorized a bit of the
Beaufort scale (wind extends a flag = 8-12 mph, etc.).

I've had more trouble with "false flats." I remember a hard, hot day on
one solo bike tour. I stopped in the shade and chatted with a homeowner,
telling him "I may be getting too old for this."

He said "Well, do you realize you've been gaining elevation for 20 miles?"

--
- Frank Krygowski

Joy Beeson June 12th 19 02:51 AM

Feeling strong

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 11:38:10 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I've had more trouble with "false flats." I remember a hard, hot day on
one solo bike tour. I stopped in the shade and chatted with a homeowner,
telling him "I may be getting too old for this."

He said "Well, do you realize you've been gaining elevation for 20 miles?"

I had the opposite experience once. I coasted for miles, all the time
thinking that I'd hate that stretch of road on the way home. But on
the way back, I hardly noticed the climb. The slope had been exactly
steep enough to overcome wind resistance. (Probably helped that I'd
slept twice before returning.)

Then there was the time I got lost on the way home from Altamont
because my turn was at the top of an exhausting climb -- and I'd been
up New Salem Hill a few times since I'd last been to Altamont.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net