CycleBanter.com

-   -   Dilemma - ITM Millenium fork on Specialized Sirrus (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=53849)

Colin Boyd October 14th 03 10:49 PM

Dilemma - ITM Millenium fork on Specialized Sirrus

8 months ago I bent the fork on my 2002 Sirrus and only now have
gotten around to replacing it :(, after some bad experiences (Wiggle
sending me a 1" instead of 1 1/8" Kinesis Crosslight fork when the
latter was sold out as if I wouldn't notice the difference).

Although I'm delighted with the Millenium, I'm not so delighted with
the compatibility issues or the lack of help from my LBS. I asked
them whether I needed a carbon bung(?) for it and they vacillated and
basically said 'pay us to install it'. What I really need to know is
whether I must and where I can get a bung and what I do with it!

Also, the Sirrus' 28c tyres are too wide for the Millenium! I've
measured the rim-to-rim distance and according to the chart at Sheldon
Brown.com I can use 25c. Can anyone tell me if this will suit the
Millenium?

As you can tell I'm a dumbass so help would really be appreciated :)

Pete Biggs October 15th 03 02:21 PM

Colin Boyd wrote:
Although I'm delighted with the Millenium, I'm not so delighted with
the compatibility issues or the lack of help from my LBS. I asked
them whether I needed a carbon bung(?) for it and they vacillated and
basically said 'pay us to install it'. What I really need to know is
whether I must and where I can get a bung and what I do with it!

"Star nuts" must NOT be used with forks with carbon steerer tubes. It's
normal to use a bung instead - which just wedges down the steerer. You'll
easily figure it out once you get one (or find a better bike shop to do
the job). I don't know if the Millenium has any specific/unusual
requirements but I doubt it.

Aheadset adjustment instructions (apply to forks with bungs as well) :
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...readless.shtml

Also, the Sirrus' 28c tyres are too wide for the Millenium! I've
measured the rim-to-rim distance and according to the chart at Sheldon
Brown.com I can use 25c. Can anyone tell me if this will suit the
Millenium?

I've got ITM Snyper forks and 25c fits ok. I expect the Millenium's
internal size is the same so should take them too. Good idea to always
allow plenty of clearance, though. Imagaine what would happen if the
front wheel couldn't turn if it buckled...

~PB

Michael MacClancy October 17th 03 12:19 PM

Dilemma - ITM Millenium fork on Specialized Sirrus

"JP" wrote in message

"Colin Boyd" wrote in message
om...
8 months ago I bent the fork on my 2002 Sirrus and only now have
gotten around to replacing it

As you can tell I'm a dumbass so help would really be appreciated :)

I can only help your grammar.

do you mean got!

I detest creeping Americanisms!

Perhaps he is an American. Is there a rule that says that Americans have to
write in 'English' when contributing to UK NGs?

___
Michael MacClancy

James Annan October 17th 03 01:36 PM

Michael MacClancy wrote:

Perhaps he is an American. Is there a rule that says that Americans have to
write in 'English' when contributing to UK NGs?

$B$b$A$m$s!"1Q8l$r=q$$$?$[$&$,$$$$!*%"%a%j%+8l$rFI$_$?$1$l$P!"(B
wreck.bicycles$B$X9T$-$^$9!#(B

$B$^$?!"(B

$B0$Fn!#(B

JP October 17th 03 05:19 PM

Dilemma - ITM Millenium fork on Specialized Sirrus

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message
"JP" wrote in message

"Colin Boyd" wrote in message
om...
8 months ago I bent the fork on my 2002 Sirrus and only now have
gotten around to replacing it

As you can tell I'm a dumbass so help would really be appreciated :)

I can only help your grammar.

do you mean got!

I detest creeping Americanisms!

Perhaps he is an American. Is there a rule that says that Americans have

write in 'English' when contributing to UK NGs?

He did admit to being a dumbass. So I wasn't too certain.

However, he has got (yes this is 'got') a 'co.uk' e-mail address.

So in my book absolutely no excuses.

Simon Brooke October 17th 03 08:05 PM

Dilemma - ITM Millenium fork on Specialized Sirrus

"JP" writes:

"Colin Boyd" wrote in message
om...
8 months ago I bent the fork on my 2002 Sirrus and only now have
gotten around to replacing it

As you can tell I'm a dumbass so help would really be appreciated :)

I can only help your grammar.

do you mean got!

The verb get (got, gotten) orignally meant to procreate; it doesn't
mean anything else (except by extension of that meaning), so any other
use of it is (equally) poor English. But if you're going to (ab)use
it, 'gotten' is simply an older form, and thus arguably better
English. 'Got' is a modern abbreviation.

Simon, can always out-nazi a grammar nazi.

;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
;; Jim Morrison