CycleBanter.com

-   -   A patching dilemma... (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=79974)

Matt O'Toole January 2nd 05 08:47 PM

A patching dilemma...

How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits come with a
bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones. The larger ones don't fit
on road tubes without wrapping around them, so it's hard to get a good bond all
the way around, to keep the edges from peeling. I haven't had one fail in
awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these in bulk, and
sell me a bunch? I'm sick of paying $4.00 for a patch kit with 2 good patches
in it, and a bunch of crap I'll never use.

Also, is it better to remove the plastic, leave it on, or leave it on as the
patch cures but take it off before using the tube? I do let my patches cure
overnight whenever possible.

Matt O.

RonSonic January 2nd 05 09:03 PM

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:47:42 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" wrote:

How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits come with a
bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones. The larger ones don't fit
on road tubes without wrapping around them, so it's hard to get a good bond all
the way around, to keep the edges from peeling. I haven't had one fail in
awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these in bulk, and
sell me a bunch? I'm sick of paying $4.00 for a patch kit with 2 good patches
in it, and a bunch of crap I'll never use.

Scissors. - OR - Want a nice feathered edge, lick an Xacto and use that to cut
on a bevel.

Maybe lick your finger and use that to lube the blade.

Ron

bfd January 2nd 05 09:08 PM

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits come
with a
bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones. The larger ones don't
fit
on road tubes without wrapping around them, so it's hard to get a good
bond all
the way around, to keep the edges from peeling. I haven't had one fail in
awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these in
bulk, and
sell me a bunch? I'm sick of paying $4.00 for a patch kit with 2 good
patches
in it, and a bunch of crap I'll never use.

Matt,

A couple of options:

Innovations 20mm tire patches box of 100 for about $18:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...m_id =IN-9028

or Rema 1" (about 25mm?) tire patches, box of 100 for $14.75:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...em_id =RE-F1P

Third Hand has Rema 1" patches, box of 100 for $13.37:
http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cg...d=986571315409

Also, is it better to remove the plastic, leave it on, or leave it on as
the
patch cures but take it off before using the tube? I do let my patches
cure
overnight whenever possible.

I usually take the plastic off. Jobst also talks about this in the Bicycle
FAQ (now updated, with pictures, by Sheldon Brown):

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/patching.html

[email protected] January 2nd 05 09:24 PM

Hi Matt
Bike tools Etc sells 100 small Ream for a very reasonable price ~$15.
I do believe that they have a shelf life, although I don't know what it
is. I've been hesitating to buy 100 because of this. Would you be
interested in splitting or thirding 100? Where do you live? I'm in the
SF Bay Area.
John

Werehatrack January 2nd 05 11:23 PM

wrote:

How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits come with a
bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones. The larger ones don't fit
on road tubes without wrapping around them, so it's hard to get a good bond all
the way around, to keep the edges from peeling. I haven't had one fail in
awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these in bulk, and
sell me a bunch? I'm sick of paying $4.00 for a patch kit with 2 good patches
in it, and a bunch of crap I'll never use.

I just buy the large package of them from the auto parts store and cut
the larger ones into smaller pieces. The smaller ones in the kit
(about one inch square) are near to ideal for the majority of my
patching, but even they are a tad large on a road tube.

Alternately...

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=643283426177

alias

http://tinyurl.com/4trsp

or, if those are too big...

http://tinyurl.com/4h2k6

Also, is it better to remove the plastic, leave it on, or leave it on as the
patch cures but take it off before using the tube? I do let my patches cure
overnight whenever possible.

My personal preference is to peel the non-glue-side plastic before
placing the patch, but I do not believe that it actually makes a
difference whether that's done before or after patch placement.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Mark Janeba January 3rd 05 12:15 AM

wrote:
Hi Matt
Bike tools Etc sells 100 small Ream for a very reasonable price ~$15.
I do believe that they have a shelf life, although I don't know what it
is. I've been hesitating to buy 100 because of this.

I'm on my second or third 100-box of Rema patches (it's been quite a few
years). They work pretty much the same now as when new.

One annoyance: In the latest box I bought (probably 15 years ago), the
foil peels off before the cellophane. (From the day I got the box) I
just catch a corner with a fingernail and peel away; it leaves an
annoying (but harmless) munged part on the edge of the patch.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem with Rema patches? I don't
remember it from the last box (but after 15 years, memory fades).

As for "glue" or vulcanizing fluid - I tried buying that in bulk, and it
definitely did NOT have shelf life. Now I go to a dept. store and buy
the cheapest patch kits I can, about $1.50, pitch the patches and use
the glue. I think I'm still far ahead overall in the cost of patching
supplies.

Mark Janeba

Paul Kopit January 3rd 05 12:28 AM

wrote:

How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits come with a
bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones. The larger ones don't fit
on road tubes without wrapping around them, so it's hard to get a good bond all
the way around, to keep the edges from peeling. I haven't had one fail in
awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these in bulk, and
sell me a bunch? I'm sick of paying $4.00 for a patch kit with 2 good patches
in it, and a bunch of crap I'll never use.

Also, is it better to remove the plastic, leave it on, or leave it on as the
patch cures but take it off before using the tube? I do let my patches cure
overnight whenever possible.

You local shop should be able to get you a box of 100 small patches
that are made by Innovations. I think that Innovations also has a
patch kit with 6 small patches only.

I never bother to take the plastic off. Usually, it just seems to
fall off by itself or disintegrate over time.

[email protected] January 3rd 05 12:34 AM

Mark, Ya Know, that's interesting.
I get a little nib about 1/2 the time. I've always thought it was
something I was doing wrong, but I'm not sure what. I try to leave the
clear plastic on even after mounting the tube, but it usually falls off
before. The hardest part for me is getting the patch centered. I've
developed a method to do that, but it takes too long. And yes I use
talcum powder, despite highly regarded advice to the contrary.
John

Antti Salonen January 3rd 05 01:12 AM

Matt O'Toole wrote:

How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits
come with a bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones.
The larger ones don't fit on road tubes without wrapping around them,
so it's hard to get a good bond all the way around, to keep the edges
from peeling. I haven't had one fail in awhile, but smaller patches
would be better.

Rema patches are available in a special kit for road bikes, which has
patches smaller than usual. The box has four round patches of about 3/4
inches and two larger ones. What you want is a black box, model "TT 04",
instead of the more common cyan one. I got mine from he

http://www.starbike.com/php/suchen.p...hSubmit=Search

-as

Matt O'Toole January 3rd 05 01:36 AM

wrote:

Hi Matt
Bike tools Etc sells 100 small Ream for a very reasonable price ~$15.
I do believe that they have a shelf life, although I don't know what
it is. I've been hesitating to buy 100 because of this. Would you be
interested in splitting or thirding 100? Where do you live? I'm in the
SF Bay Area.
John

Sounds good. Check your email.

Matt O.

[email protected] January 3rd 05 02:14 AM

Hi Matt
like tools Etc sells 100 small Ream for a very reasonable price ~$15.
I do believe that they have a shelf life, although I don't know what

it
is. I've been hesitating to buy 100 because of this. Would you be
interested in splitting or thirding 100? Where do you live? I'm in the
SF Bay Area.
John

i asked this group about shelf life last summer(?) & the opinions
were a very long time, pretty much indefinite.

[email protected] January 3rd 05 02:31 AM

As for "glue" or vulcanizing fluid - I tried buying that in bulk, and
it
definitely did NOT have shelf life. Now I go to a dept. store and buy
the cheapest patch kits I can, about $1.50, pitch the patches and use
the glue. I think I'm still far ahead overall in the cost of patching
supplies.

give 'rubber cement', the paper stuff, a try. i was fooling around
& made a 1-in x 3-in patch using an old inner tube, rubber cement &
naptha/Coleman fuel (as a liquid buffer) and lived to tell about it. i
had a tube with a 2 in split and wondered if it would work.
if i'm DIY a patch from an inner tube, i'll coat both surfaces with
the rubber cement after a naptha cleaning & allow both surfaces to
_dry_ (NO CHEATING!)

(Pete Cresswell) January 3rd 05 03:04 AM

Per Mark Janeba:
One annoyance: In the latest box I bought (probably 15 years ago), the
foil peels off before the cellophane. (From the day I got the box) I
just catch a corner with a fingernail and peel away; it leaves an
annoying (but harmless) munged part on the edge of the patch.

Geeze, I thought that was the way they were supposed to work. All my tires
have patches covered with cellophane...
--
PeteCresswell

Peter January 3rd 05 03:07 AM

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

Per Mark Janeba:

One annoyance: In the latest box I bought (probably 15 years ago), the
foil peels off before the cellophane. (From the day I got the box) I
just catch a corner with a fingernail and peel away; it leaves an
annoying (but harmless) munged part on the edge of the patch.

Geeze, I thought that was the way they were supposed to work. All my tires
have patches covered with cellophane...

The Rema patches I've used have a thin slit in the cellophane at the
center of the patch. Stretching the tube/patch after the repair
splits the cellophane at the slit and makes it easy to remove if
desired.

Matt O'Toole January 3rd 05 04:30 AM

Peter wrote:

The Rema patches I've used have a thin slit in the cellophane at the
center of the patch. Stretching the tube/patch after the repair
splits the cellophane at the slit and makes it easy to remove if
desired.

I just wonder about the best practice WRT removing the cellophane. I suppose
it's there to keep the patch from drying out. But I'm sure it also helps
protect it from peeling off the tube, and/or sticking to the tire. OTOH, I
wonder if peeling it off helps the patch cure faster.

I bet Jobst knows...

Matt O.

Tom Sherman January 3rd 05 04:51 AM

Matt O'Toole wrote:

Peter wrote:

The Rema patches I've used have a thin slit in the cellophane at the
center of the patch. Stretching the tube/patch after the repair
splits the cellophane at the slit and makes it easy to remove if
desired.

I just wonder about the best practice WRT removing the cellophane. I suppose
it's there to keep the patch from drying out. But I'm sure it also helps
protect it from peeling off the tube, and/or sticking to the tire. OTOH, I
wonder if peeling it off helps the patch cure faster.

I bet Jobst knows...

To quote Jobst Brandt, "It [cellophane cover] does hurt but not much.
The cellophane is non-stretch and the tube and tire are, so this has a
distortion effect that helps loosen a freshly applied patch, if this is
the only tube one has. The cellophane is made to be easily removed as I
previously explained.

Link to full post:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/070b771882bbaf34?dmode=source.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

A Muzi January 3rd 05 06:12 AM

Matt O'Toole wrote:

How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? Most patch kits come with a
bunch of big ones, but only two or four small ones. The larger ones don't fit
on road tubes without wrapping around them, so it's hard to get a good bond all
the way around, to keep the edges from peeling. I haven't had one fail in
awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these in bulk, and
sell me a bunch? I'm sick of paying $4.00 for a patch kit with 2 good patches
in it, and a bunch of crap I'll never use.

Also, is it better to remove the plastic, leave it on, or leave it on as the
patch cures but take it off before using the tube? I do let my patches cure
overnight whenever possible.

We stock boxes of 100. LBS can get them quickly - nearly
every distributor who sells patch kits also sells boxes of
patches.

The clear vinyl cover shows where a patch stitcher/patch
roller has been applied. Since you don't use one of those ,
peel it up if it comes easily, leave it if not. Doesn't matter.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Mike Schwab January 3rd 05 06:34 AM

US$0.25 at http://www.biketekinc.com/

BikeTek, Inc.
957 Clock Tower Drive
Springfield, IL 62704

Phone: 217 - 787 - 2907
Fax: 217 - 787 - 9968
Email:

A Muzi January 3rd 05 06:44 AM

wrote:

Mark, Ya Know, that's interesting.
I get a little nib about 1/2 the time. I've always thought it was
something I was doing wrong, but I'm not sure what. I try to leave the
clear plastic on even after mounting the tube, but it usually falls off
before. The hardest part for me is getting the patch centered. I've
developed a method to do that, but it takes too long. And yes I use
talcum powder, despite highly regarded advice to the contrary.
John

What is a nib?

To patch, I draw the tube across the back of my left hand,
injury centered, and hold the tube firmly in that hand.

Then I clean the area with a solvent , ideally Tech 2-Way
Prep, a patch-specific cleaner, on a clean cloth. Alcohol,
MEK, Trichlorethylene, tape deck cleaner or anything else
that evaporates cleanly will do. Anything that leaves a
residue won't help.

The older crowd smears patch cement on the area and shaves
that off with a pocket knife.

Now I have a chemically cleaned surface, dead flat, with the
hole centered and I haven't smeared my fingers across the
cleaned area.

Spread cement in an area slightly larger than your patch as
thinly and evenly as possible while remaining wet. Allow an
angel to pass. That in this case is ten to thirty seconds
until the glue looks dry.

Peel back the patch backing. With care you can get the
backing mostly off so you can hold a covered edge and keep
your fingers off the prepared patch. Press the patch firmly
over the injury and either use a patch stitcher or your
fingers to push the patch firmly onto the glued surface.

Some photos here might help:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html

Our FAQ is also instructive:
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html

Qui si parla Campagnolo January 3rd 05 02:24 PM

matt- How can I buy a bunch of the smallest size patches? BRBR

Any decent LBS has Rema patches, we do as do we have tubes of glue.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Kenny January 3rd 05 03:32 PM

I've heard that you can make patches out of old inner tubes. I've been
waiting for my first box of patches to be used up before trying this
option. I use a pair of scissors and cut the patch in half before
patching the tube on my road bike.

Paul Kopit January 3rd 05 06:26 PM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:15:25 GMT, Mark Janeba
wrote:

As for "glue" or vulcanizing fluid - I tried buying that in bulk, and it
definitely did NOT have shelf life.

I buy the stuff in Pep Boys and store the resealed container in the
refrigerator. It took me over 3 years to use the first can. I did
add a little solvent to it at some point. When it does thicken,
it's decent glue to put shipping labels on.

Paul Kopit January 3rd 05 06:31 PM

On 2 Jan 2005 16:34:39 -0800, wrote:

The hardest part for me is getting the patch centered. I've
developed a method to do that, but it takes too long. And yes I use
talcum powder, despite highly regarded advice to the contrary.

After putting the wet glue on, pump the tire and a white mark will
appear where the air is coming out.

Put the tip of a toothpick into the hole through the sanding, gluing
and drying. Remove the tip as you put the patch on.

I think that talcum powder is traditional more than functional. Most
people use use baby powder instead of talcum. The fragrance contains
oil and makes it more difficult to get a good surface to put glue on
when needed.

Jeff Loomis January 3rd 05 07:17 PM

Matt O'Toole wrote:

awhile, but smaller patches would be better. Can someone get these

in bulk, and

At $0.50 a patch they still are not the cheapest, but rivendell sells a
kit with 10 "dime sized" patches for $5. Maybe some LBSs have the
Velox patches they put in there. They are definitely smaller than the
smallest Rema ones.

http://tinyurl.com/3k7f4

This place in the UK sells what looks to be the same patches for 3.50
pounds for 100. At under 7 cents each that might even be worth the
overseas shipping.

http://tinyurl.com/3kmgk

-Jeff

MikeYankee January 3rd 05 07:40 PM

I've heard that you can make patches out of old inner tubes

Yes, indeed. I did this once when I ran out of patches and spare tubes, and it
got me home OK. I sanded the gluing surface, applied glue, and let it dry;
did same on punctured tube.

No leaks, but I don't know how long it would have lasted because I peeled it
off (with some difficulty) and replaced it with a Rema patch.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)

John Everett January 3rd 05 08:10 PM

On 2 Jan 2005 13:24:57 -0800, wrote:

Hi Matt
Bike tools Etc sells 100 small Ream for a very reasonable price ~$15.

Unfortunately for those of us who ride road bikes with narrow tires,
they only carry Rema Part # F1-P, the 25mm (1") patches, and F2-Ps,
the 2" oval patches. These are too wide for the tubes we generally
use. I prefer Rema's F0-P, which is a box of 100, 16mm patches; but
these are generally hard to find.

Even Third Hand/Loose Tools doesn't carry the smaller patches. A web
search has turned up the F0-P at Alfred E. Bike, and Air Bomb; both
for around $20. I've never dealt with either so can't advise one way
or the other.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

MSA January 3rd 05 09:26 PM

In article , jeverett3
@earthlink.DEFEAT.UCE.BOTS.net says...
On 2 Jan 2005 13:24:57 -0800, wrote:

Hi Matt
Bike tools Etc sells 100 small Ream for a very reasonable price ~$15.

Unfortunately for those of us who ride road bikes with narrow tires,
they only carry Rema Part # F1-P, the 25mm (1") patches, and F2-Ps,
the 2" oval patches. These are too wide for the tubes we generally
use. I prefer Rema's F0-P, which is a box of 100, 16mm patches; but
these are generally hard to find.

Even Third Hand/Loose Tools doesn't carry the smaller patches. A web
search has turned up the F0-P at Alfred E. Bike, and Air Bomb; both
for around $20. I've never dealt with either so can't advise one way
or the other.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

100 15mm patches here, I've been using them for years. UK seller mind
you but he does ship abroad. 100 for £3.65 including shipping to non EU
countries.

http://tinyurl.com/2dqpz

--
Mark (MSA)
Remember, half the people you know are below average

[email protected] January 3rd 05 11:48 PM

wrote:

[...]

I agree. I get my big cardboard tube of patches from Wal-Mart. About
$2.50. After cutting all of the big patches into the 1"x1" square
size, I have over 100 patches. I've never bothered to trim them
smaller but I suppose a compulsive person could do this. And the
various auto parts stores sell big tubes of patch glue for under $1.
If the big tube of patch glue in the Wal-Mart patch kit runs out after
5 years.

Reading all of these posts about paying $15 or more for a box of 100
REMA patches specially ordered from the LBS has provided the chuckle
for the day.

Tom Sherman January 4th 05 02:21 AM

Kenny wrote:

I've heard that you can make patches out of old inner tubes. I've been
waiting for my first box of patches to be used up before trying this
option. I use a pair of scissors and cut the patch in half before
patching the tube on my road bike.

"Patches can be made from tube material but this must be done carefully
following the same procedure as preparing the tube. However, butyl tube
material, unlike commercial patches, is impervious to rubber cement
solvents and will not cure if the glue on the tube and patch is not
completely dry. This presents a substantial problem." - Jobst Brandt [1]

[1] http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/patching.html.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Philip Holman January 4th 05 04:56 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mark, Ya Know, that's interesting.
I get a little nib about 1/2 the time. I've always thought it was
something I was doing wrong, but I'm not sure what. I try to leave the
clear plastic on even after mounting the tube, but it usually falls
off
before. The hardest part for me is getting the patch centered. I've
developed a method to do that, but it takes too long. And yes I use
talcum powder, despite highly regarded advice to the contrary.
John

To center the patch - put a small dab of glue on the hole, using the
dab as center, draw a glue circle slightly larger than the patch. Fill
it in and when ready, center the patch in the glue and the hole will be
centered under the patch.

Phil H

R15757 January 4th 05 05:03 AM

Matt O. wrote in part:

I do let my patches cure
overnight whenever possible.

Agree with the necessity for patches
in bulk but please do not perpetuate
this patch curing nonsense.
No more talk of patch curing
in 2005!

R15757 January 15th 05 04:35 PM

A. Muzi wrote in part:

Spread cement in an area slightly larger than your patch as
thinly and evenly as possible while remaining wet. Allow an
angel to pass. That in this case is ten to thirty seconds
until the glue looks dry.

You can't patch a tube on the road that way.
It is absolutely necessary to let the glue dry
completely, which means a whole gang of angels
must pass before applying the patch, say three
minutes or so.

Robert

Pat January 16th 05 01:51 AM

: You can't patch a tube on the road that way.
: It is absolutely necessary to let the glue dry
: completely, which means a whole gang of angels
: must pass before applying the patch, say three
: minutes or so.
:
: Robert

they travel in gangs now? that's depressing.

Pat

Dave Reckoning January 16th 05 02:08 AM

"Pat" wrote in message

: You can't patch a tube on the road that way.
: It is absolutely necessary to let the glue dry
: completely, which means a whole gang of angels
: must pass before applying the patch, say three
: minutes or so.
:
: Robert

they travel in gangs now? that's depressing.

Pat

I used to live near Altimont and it often seemed to take much longer for the
gang of Angels to pass there.

Dave

[email protected] January 16th 05 06:49 AM

You can't patch a tube on the road that way.
It is absolutely necessary to let the glue dry
completely, which means a whole gang of angels
must pass before applying the patch, say three
minutes or so.

But the area under the patch is going to expand when inflated.
So would it not be better for the glue to still be wet when the
expansion occurrs?

dkl

R15757 January 16th 05 09:07 AM

dkl wrote:

But the area under the patch is going to expand when inflated.
So would it not be better for the glue to still be wet when the
expansion occurrs?

No.

Robert

Qui si parla Campagnolo January 16th 05 03:10 PM

Jevertt- I prefer Rema's F0-P, which is a box of 100, 16mm patches; but
these are generally hard to find. BRBR

Anybody that deals with QBP, PK-2001 is the part number-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo January 16th 05 03:17 PM

jeff- At $0.50 a patch they still are not the cheapest, but rivendell sells a
kit with 10 "dime sized" patches for $5. Maybe some LBSs have the
Velox patches they put in there. They are definitely smaller than the
smallest Rema ones. BRBR

Ahh, Rivendell trying to stay in biz I guess. 16mm Remas work for any tire I
have seen, even 18mm ones. QBP-PK-2001, about $.15 per.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

R15757 January 16th 05 05:09 PM

Matt O'Toole wrote in part:

OTOH, I
wonder if peeling it off helps the patch cure faster.

What disease does the poor patch have?
Anyway, my sympathies and I hope the
little fellar gets well soon.

Robert