Is there somthing wrong with me or does the Sram grip shift shifters break
at the toss of a hat? do any one have a scoop on this and if so what did you
do about it???

frank & alma August 3rd 04 09:12 PM

Sram grip shiftters breakage

I have used them for 4 years on several bikes and never had a problem.

Brian August 4th 04 04:32 AM

Sram grip shiftters breakage

wrote in message
ink.net...
Is there somthing wrong with me or does the Sram grip shift shifters break
at the toss of a hat? do any one have a scoop on this and if so what did

you
do about it???

My LBS keeps a drawerfull of the bloddy things. Apparently, the cheaper

versions are hollow, and break quickly, the more expensive versions are
solid nylon and take a lot more wear. Having used (and serviced) both, I
would have to say this is correct. I have replaced 2 sets of the hollow
version, and none of the solid grip shifter sets.

Dave Larrington August 4th 04 09:26 AM

wrote:
Is there somthing wrong with me or does the Sram grip shift shifters
break at the toss of a hat? do any one have a scoop on this and if so
what did you do about it???

Three years and more than 15,000 km with Rockets on the Speedmachine. Only
problem has been losing the little cover for cable replacement on the R/H
shifter. - replaced with a piece of gaffer tape. And the ridges have just
about worn off.

The old Sachs-stylee ones were occasionally a bit blean as the spring inside
would lose its springiness and/or break.

--

Dave Larrington -
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/

Bob Bryant August 4th 04 07:44 PM

Sram grip shiftters breakage

I don't think SRAM shifters are as tough as Shimano Rapid Fire and
especially Shimano bar-cons.
I've replaced a few SRAM shifters in the past year - - MRX level or
lower. Twice they failed on the road.
I used to think Rapid Fires were too complex, but I've ridden them
thousands of trouble free miles.
If durability is your #1 goal, opt for bar-cons.
Bob Bryant
http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

Tom Sherman August 5th 04 12:50 AM

Bob Bryant wrote:

I don't think SRAM shifters are as tough as Shimano Rapid Fire and
especially Shimano bar-cons.
I've replaced a few SRAM shifters in the past year - - MRX level or
lower. Twice they failed on the road.
I used to think Rapid Fires were too complex, but I've ridden them
thousands of trouble free miles.
If durability is your #1 goal, opt for bar-cons.
Bob Bryant
http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

The rear Shimano bar-end shifter has the advantage of a friction mode if
the indexing goes off during a ride. In addition, the front bar-end will
easily handle oversized chainrings and non-standard chainring spacing,
while the front Rabidfire (sic) shifter will not do so well in these
situations.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Dave Larrington August 5th 04 09:49 AM

Tom Sherman wrote:
The rear Shimano bar-end shifter has the advantage of a friction mode
if the indexing goes off during a ride. In addition, the front
bar-end will easily handle oversized chainrings and non-standard
chainring spacing, while the front Rabidfire (sic) shifter will not
do so well in these situations.

What Tom said. Rabidfires are a Work of Stan and their use should be
strongly deprecated. Bar-end shifters are OK on the trike, with the bars
pointing more or less vertically, but I don't think they mate well with
other steering layouts.

Does anyone still make proper thumbshifters?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Mark Leuck August 5th 04 11:50 PM

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message
Tom Sherman wrote:
The rear Shimano bar-end shifter has the advantage of a friction mode
if the indexing goes off during a ride. In addition, the front
bar-end will easily handle oversized chainrings and non-standard
chainring spacing, while the front Rabidfire (sic) shifter will not
do so well in these situations.

What Tom said. Rabidfires are a Work of Stan and their use should be
strongly deprecated. Bar-end shifters are OK on the trike, with the bars
pointing more or less vertically, but I don't think they mate well with
other steering layouts.

Does anyone still make proper thumbshifters?

I can't complain about my cheapie Shimano thumbshifters, keep the cable
adjusted and they seem to work well

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

M. Chandler August 6th 04 12:35 AM

See http://www.paulcomp.com for some very spiffy thumbies.

Tom Sherman August 6th 04 02:28 AM

Dave Larrington wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

The rear Shimano bar-end shifter has the advantage of a friction mode
if the indexing goes off during a ride. In addition, the front
bar-end will easily handle oversized chainrings and non-standard
chainring spacing, while the front Rabidfire (sic) shifter will not
do so well in these situations.

What Tom said. Rabidfires are a Work of Stan and their use should be
strongly deprecated. Bar-end shifters are OK on the trike, with the bars
pointing more or less vertically, but I don't think they mate well with
other steering layouts...

Paul Components "Thumbies" [1] can be used to mount Shimano bar-end
shifters on flat bars.

[1] http://www.paulcomp.com/thumbmtn.html.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area