CycleBanter.com

-   -   Injunction against cycling cafe binned (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=258461)

Simon Mason[_6_] November 16th 19 03:36 PM

Injunction against cycling cafe binned

QUOTE:
An injunction application against a cafe which is a popular meeting point for cyclists has been dropped.

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead had banned Velolife in Warren Row, Berkshire, from being used as an "organised meet" for rides.

Neighbours had complained cyclists congregating in the car park were "a nuisance" but the ban led to more cyclists turning up in protest.

The council said it was pleased an agreement had been reached with cafe.

Earlier this year, the council dropped a threat of legal action against cyclists gathering at the cafe, but informed owner Lee Goodwin he needed to ensure clubs did not use it as a stop before, during or after organised rides..

Cyclists rights charity Cycling UK said a breach of the draft injunction the council sought could have led to Mr Goodwin being jailed.

On Thursday British Cycling, the national governing body for the sport, said the council had withdrawn its injunction application.

Olympic gold medallist Chris Boardman, who is a policy adviser for British Cycling, said the decision was a "long overdue victory for common sense" and ended two years of "anguish" for Mr Goodwin.

He added: "They [cafes] should never be subject to the types of punitive and vindictive measures we have seen here, nor should their customers, and I sincerely hope that this case will act as a strong deterrent to others who wish to pursue a similar path in the future."

Thanking their supporters on Twitter, Velolife said: "The community we serve is phenomenal, we simply would not be here if it wasn't for your support.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-50426785

TMS320 November 16th 19 05:02 PM

On 16/11/2019 14:36, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE: An injunction application against a cafe which is a popular
meeting point for cyclists has been dropped.

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead had banned Velolife in
Warren Row, Berkshire, from being used as an "organised meet" for
rides.

Good news. I dare say that had it been sold off for housing, the local
villagers (who never used it) would have been campaigning to "save our
pub" - expecting some charitable organisation to pay for the upkeep.

I have been there on a couple of occasions before it changed its USP.
Looks like I am overdue to give it another visit.

Simon Mason[_6_] November 16th 19 07:20 PM

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 4:03:00 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 16/11/2019 14:36, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE: An injunction application against a cafe which is a popular
meeting point for cyclists has been dropped.

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead had banned Velolife in
Warren Row, Berkshire, from being used as an "organised meet" for
rides.

Good news. I dare say that had it been sold off for housing, the local
villagers (who never used it) would have been campaigning to "save our
pub" - expecting some charitable organisation to pay for the upkeep.

I have been there on a couple of occasions before it changed its USP.
Looks like I am overdue to give it another visit.

I am waiting for the local council to ban boy racer car meets in our local Morrison's car park - far more litter, smoke and noise than our local chain gang.