CycleBanter.com

-   -   Anyone make a 9 speed cassette with a 14 and an 18 teeth cog? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257560)

Sir Ridesalot June 9th 19 02:39 AM

Anyone make a 9 speed cassette with a 14 and an 18 teeth cog?

I need a 9-speed 14 teeth and a 9-speed 18 teeth cog for something I'm doing. Does anyone make a 9-speed cassette with one or the other of these cogs or even both of them?

Cheers

jOHN b. June 9th 19 03:43 AM

Anyone make a 9 speed cassette with a 14 and an 18 teeth cog?

On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 18:39:26 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I need a 9-speed 14 teeth and a 9-speed 18 teeth cog for something I'm doing.

Does anyone make a 9-speed cassette with one or the other of these
cogs or even both of them?

Cheers

You can use something from a 10 speed cassette, at least I have added
a 32 tooth cog from a 9 speed cassette to a 10 speed cassette with no
problems.

Just from my experience, the cogs on 9 and 10 speed cassettes are
very close to the same thickness but the spacers between the cogs is
different so you need to use the correct spacers if you are using any
sort of indexed shifting.
--
cheers,

John B.

Tom Kunich[_5_] June 10th 19 06:29 PM

wrote:

I need a 9-speed 14 teeth and a 9-speed 18 teeth cog for something I'm doing.

Does anyone make a 9-speed cassette with one or the other of these
cogs or even both of them?

Cheers

You can use something from a 10 speed cassette, at least I have added
a 32 tooth cog from a 9 speed cassette to a 10 speed cassette with no
problems.

Just from my experience, the cogs on 9 and 10 speed cassettes are
very close to the same thickness but the spacers between the cogs is
different so you need to use the correct spacers if you are using any
sort of indexed shifting.
--
cheers,

John B.

Cassettes are made all in a set is for a purpose. The shifting lifts are aligned properly for shifting. If you mix and match be ready to get noisy shifting.

I think that both of the gears you're looking for are on the normal 11-23 Shimano cassettes. But the 18 tooth I attached to a 16 tooth on the Ultegra cassette.

[email protected] June 10th 19 08:39 PM

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 8:39:29 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I need a 9-speed 14 teeth and a 9-speed 18 teeth cog for something I'm doing. Does anyone make a 9-speed cassette with one or the other of these cogs or even both of them?

Cheers

I have OLD Campagnolo 9 speed cassettes in 13-23. They are 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23 cogs.

https://www.ciclisport.com/678/produ...e-shimano.aspx
According to this website, there are Shimano 9 speed Junior cassettes in 14-25 and 16-24 configurations. Both have 14 and 18 cogs.

Do a Google search on "shimano 9 speed junior cassette".

Sir Ridesalot June 10th 19 08:41 PM

wrote:

[...]

Right now my corncob that I cobbled together and want to replace is 11 to 19 teeth and the shifting is fine even though one cog is from an 8 speed cassette. Sure is nice on the rolling hills. The front is a triple 48 -38 and iirc a 28 chainring. If it's not a 28 it's a 24 chainring. For some of the riding I do around here that setup is absolutely perfect.

Cheers

Sir Ridesalot June 10th 19 09:25 PM

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 3:39:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 8:39:29 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I need a 9-speed 14 teeth and a 9-speed 18 teeth cog for something I'm doing. Does anyone make a 9-speed cassette with one or the other of these cogs or even both of them?

Cheers

I have OLD Campagnolo 9 speed cassettes in 13-23. They are 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23 cogs.

https://www.ciclisport.com/678/produ...e-shimano.aspx
According to this website, there are Shimano 9 speed Junior cassettes in 14-25 and 16-24 configurations. Both have 14 and 18 cogs.

Do a Google search on "shimano 9 speed junior cassette".

Thank you VERY much for that advice and link.

Cheers

Sir Ridesalot June 11th 19 04:20 PM

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 9:39:29 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I need a 9-speed 14 teeth and a 9-speed 18 teeth cog for something I'm doing. Does anyone make a 9-speed cassette with one or the other of these cogs or even both of them?

Cheers

Update.

I just looked at the Sunrace website and see that they have CSR91 9AS which has 11-12-13-14-16-18-21-24-28 teeth. They also have CSR91 9AQ which has 11-12-13-15-17-19-21-23-25 teeth. With both of those I can build up my corncob 11-19 teeth cassette AND have it indexed! Great.

Cheers

Zen Cycle June 13th 19 08:01 PM

Anyone make a 9 speed cassette with a 14 and an 18 teeth cog?

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 9:39:29 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I need a 9-speed 14 teeth and a 9-speed 18 teeth cog for something I'm doing. Does anyone make a 9-speed cassette with one or the other of these cogs or even both of them?

Cheers

https://www.bikeparts.com/BPC162329/...assette-11-34t

Item Specifications
speed|range|cogs|weight: 9sp|11-34t|11,12,14,16,18,21,24,28,34|358g