CycleBanter.com

-   -   Of course we already know this fact (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=258768)

Bod[_5_] January 23rd 20 09:54 AM

Of course we already know this fact

On 23/01/2020 09:08, TMS320 wrote:
On 22/01/2020 17:58, Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:20:49 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 21/01/2020 22:01, Peter Parry wrote:

The latest Sport England's Active Lives survey showed cycling
continues to decline.

That's the trouble. People think cycling to the shops is a sport.

My cycle to work and back was 24 miles, but my time trials were only
10 miles.

Cycling to work (whatever the distance) also isn't sport. My point being
that people using bikes for daily activities is outside the remit of an
organisation calling itself "Sport England".

You could arguably say that him choosing to cycle to work was part of

his training for time trials.

--
Bod

Ian Smith January 23rd 20 11:14 AM

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 09:54:12 +0000, Bod wrote:
On 23/01/2020 09:08, TMS320 wrote:
On 22/01/2020 17:58, Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:20:49 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 21/01/2020 22:01, Peter Parry wrote:

The latest Sport England's Active Lives survey showed cycling
continues to decline.

That's the trouble. People think cycling to the shops is a sport.

My cycle to work and back was 24 miles, but my time trials were
only 10 miles.

Cycling to work (whatever the distance) also isn't sport. My point
being that people using bikes for daily activities is outside the
remit of an organisation calling itself "Sport England".

You could arguably say that him choosing to cycle to work was part of
his training for time trials.

You could. I think you'd be wrong, since the style of riding is
presumably rather different - you probably wouldn't argue that Usain
Bolt walking to the shops was training for his sprinting.

I have been cycling to work each day for 28 years, and have never
participated in any form of organised cycle race or time-trial. I have
never even been in a non-competitive organised ride like 'Ride London'
or Critical Mass (though I have contemplated joining Critical Mass
occasionally).

How are you going to argue that my cycling is Sport?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Bod[_5_] January 23rd 20 12:55 PM

On 23/01/2020 11:14, Ian Smith wrote:
[...]

I never said that YOUR cycling is sport.

Do you want a 5 or 30 min argument? ;-)

--
Bod

TMS320 January 23rd 20 03:20 PM

On 23/01/2020 09:54, Bod wrote:
On 23/01/2020 09:08, TMS320 wrote:
On 22/01/2020 17:58, Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:20:49 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 21/01/2020 22:01, Peter Parry wrote:

The latest Sport England's Active Lives survey showed cycling
continues to decline.

That's the trouble. People think cycling to the shops is a sport.

My cycle to work and back was 24 miles, but my time trials were only
10 miles.

Cycling to work (whatever the distance) also isn't sport. My point
being that people using bikes for daily activities is outside the
remit of an organisation calling itself "Sport England".

You could arguably say that him choosing to cycle to work was part of
his training for time trials.

Whatever the motivation behind the TT, they're still all trips to work.