CycleBanter.com

-   -   two in five collisions involve a bicycle (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=238979)

Mrcheerful[_2_] November 1st 12 09:18 PM

two in five collisions involve a bicycle

Pc Mark Pilling, from Abingdon's Road Policing Department, said: "We are
being kept busy. We tend to find once the clocks go back people don't
immediately light their bike up, so this is more than anything a reminder to
people. Forty per cent of all collisions in Oxford involved a pedal
cyclist."

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/you...y_operat ion/

Partac[_10_] November 2nd 12 11:59 AM

"Luke Moore" wrote in message

Mrcheerful wrote:

Pc Mark Pilling, from Abingdon's Road Policing Department, said: "We are
being kept busy. We tend to find once the clocks go back people don't
immediately light their bike up, so this is more than anything a reminder
people. Forty per cent of all collisions in Oxford involved a pedal
cyclist."

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/you...y_operat ion/

It says in that link that those cyclist stopped without lights could
either pay the £30 fine or "dispute the fine in a magistrates' court
or buy cycle lights within seven days of the notice being issued."

Seeing as how you can buy a set of cycling lights for under £6
(delivered) from Amazon, it's very tempting to go to Oxford and cycle
without lights just to be offered such a good deal from the police.

Why not just do the sensible thing and buy the bloody lights in the first
place?

al Mossah[_2_] November 5th 12 12:17 PM

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:18:20 PM UTC, Mrcheerful wrote:
Forty per cent of all collisions in Oxford involved a pedal

cyclist."

99% involve a car?

al Mossah[_2_] November 5th 12 08:12 PM

On Monday, November 5, 2012 12:36:00 PM UTC, Mrcheerful wrote:
al Mossah wrote:

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:18:20 PM UTC, Mrcheerful wrote:

Forty per cent of all collisions in Oxford involved a pedal

cyclist."

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/you...y_operat ion/

99% involve a car?

any cite for that?

No, just a wild guess.

Dave - Cyclists VOR November 5th 12 08:58 PM

On 05/11/2012 12:26, Mrcheerful wrote:
al Mossah wrote:
On Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:18:20 PM UTC, Mrcheerful wrote:
Forty per cent of all collisions in Oxford involved a pedal

cyclist."

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/you...y_operat ion/

99% involve a car?

any cite for that?

Usual one cyclists use www.imadeitup.com

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."