CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Favourite sports drink recipe? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=163)

GRL July 20th 03 11:57 PM

Favourite sports drink recipe?

Not really a home-brew (it's a mix), but my favorite is Crystal Lite in the
grapefruit flavor. Very refreshing and tasty. If I want calories, gorp does
the trick.

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)
wrote in message
Referring to another thread... :-)

What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended :)
sports drink? What's the secret for the ultimate cycling fuel?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Scott Munro July 21st 03 12:52 AM

Favourite sports drink recipe?

On 20 Jul 2003 21:10:26 GMT,
wrote:

Referring to another thread... :-)

What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended :)
sports drink? What's the secret for the ultimate cycling fuel?

I use a recipe I found on the Internet (it may originally be from John
Forester's book): 1 2-qt envelope of Kool-Aid powder, 1/2 cup sugar,
and 1 tsp salt. Makes 2 quarts. I mentioned it to my doctor (who is
also a cyclist, though I don't know how serious), and he said it
sounded fine; he also said he usually suggested powdered Gatorade
mixed at half-strength.

I find that kiwi-strawberry flavor is lighter and not as
sticky-tasting as some of the other flavors, while cherry goes well
with fig bars.

I'm thinking about trying it without the Kool-Aid.

--
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes--our
ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit

one of the six billion July 21st 03 04:32 AM

Favourite sports drink recipe?

I use organic white grape juice diluted with water. It works real well,
tastes great and it's real food!

Larry Schuldt July 21st 03 02:38 PM

wrote:

Referring to another thread... :-)

What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended :)
sports drink? What's the secret for the ultimate cycling fuel?

I use about 100 cc of dextrose and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large water
bottle.
--
To reply by e-mail, be polite. Rudeness will get you nowhere.

Scott Munro July 21st 03 04:41 PM

Favourite sports drink recipe?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:52:26 GMT, Scott Munro
wrote:

I'm thinking about trying it without the Kool-Aid.

Actually, I like it better without the Kool-Aid. 3 tbsp. sugar and 1/3
tsp. salt per 24-oz bottle.

Boyd Speerschneider July 21st 03 04:59 PM

Favourite sports drink recipe?

Larry Schuldt wrote in
:

On 20 Jul 2003 21:10:26 GMT,
wrote:

Referring to another thread... :-)

What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended :)
sports drink? What's the secret for the ultimate cycling fuel?

I use about 100 cc of dextrose and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large water
bottle.

Where can you buy pure dextrose in the USA?
All they have at the super market is sucrose.

TIA,

- Boyd S.

Tom Keats July 21st 03 05:11 PM

Favourite sports drink recipe?

In article ,
Boyd Speerschneider writes:
Larry Schuldt wrote in
:

On 20 Jul 2003 21:10:26 GMT,
wrote:

Referring to another thread... :-)

What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended :)
sports drink? What's the secret for the ultimate cycling fuel?

I use about 100 cc of dextrose and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large water
bottle.

Where can you buy pure dextrose in the USA?
All they have at the super market is sucrose.

The first place I'd look for it would be a certain
local specialty foods store that I *know* has it
(Famous Foods Ltd, in Vancouver BC).

Other possiblities might include wine/beer home brewing
shops, health food stores, or even plain old drugsores.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.

Bob M July 21st 03 06:48 PM

wrote:

Referring to another thread... :-)

What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended :)
sports drink? What's the secret for the ultimate cycling fuel?

I use about 100 cc of dextrose and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large water
bottle.

Where can you buy pure dextrose in the USA?
All they have at the super market is sucrose.

The first place I'd look for it would be a certain
local specialty foods store that I *know* has it
(Famous Foods Ltd, in Vancouver BC).

Other possiblities might include wine/beer home brewing
shops, health food stores, or even plain old drugsores.

cheers,
Tom

I got it at a home brewing place -- it's cheap. You can also buy
maltodextrin.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

Larry Schuldt July 22nd 03 02:43 PM

Favourite sports drink recipe?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:59:42 GMT, Boyd Speerschneider
wrote:

Where can you buy pure dextrose in the USA?
All they have at the super market is sucrose.

TIA,

- Boyd S.

Sorry about the delay in replying. I had to wait until I went home to
look up where I bought it. It came from an outfit called Supplement
Direct. They have a web site at http://www.supplementdirect.com.
Currently an 11 pound container is $10 from them.

Regards,
larry
--
To reply by e-mail, be polite. Rudeness will get you nowhere.

George Shaffer July 23rd 03 04:00 AM

Favourite sports drink recipe?

Uh...water and jelly beans...sometimes Lance's (no, not him) Toast-chee
peanut butter cheese crackers.