CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Road tire reccomendation, please (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=261)

B a r r y B u r k e J r . July 30th 03 09:21 PM

Road tire reccomendation, please

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:08:14 -0400, Rick Onanian
wrote:

Opinions wanted on 700x23 tires. I've got Hutchinson Carbon Comps
that are a couple years old but only 150 miles, rather cracked and
rotted,

Do you happen to store the bike next to a furnace, well pump, or other
electric motor? Some motors can produce a lot of ozone, that can
damage tires, and other plastic and rubber items.

Barry

Rick Onanian July 30th 03 10:08 PM

Road tire reccomendation, please

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:21:51 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
wrote:
Do you happen to store the bike next to a furnace, well pump, or other
electric motor? Some motors can produce a lot of ozone, that can
damage tires, and other plastic and rubber items.

There are any number of possible ozone sources near where I
store the bike, and I don't doubt that they're exacerbating
the sidewall deterioration.

However, when I looked them up on roadbikereview.com, I found
that others had the same experience, right down to the cuts in
the tread. After posting, I examined the rear wheel more closely,
and found many cuts, though only a couple that make the belt
visible. The front wheel has cuts too!

I'm sure that my long, 1.5" stone driveway doesn't help either.

Barry

--
Rick Onanian

Mike CBR929rr July 31st 03 12:25 AM

Road tire reccomendation, please

I have the same tire (with Kevlar though).....they are all cracked too ...
I am used to Continental and never had a similar problem....
I did take the Hutchinson because my bicycle reseller did cary Conti
anymore.....well I will go back to Conti or Michelin next time.

--
Mike
"Rick Onanian" a écrit dans le message de news:

Opinions wanted on 700x23 tires. I've got Hutchinson Carbon Comps
that are a couple years old but only 150 miles, rather cracked and
rotted, and I've just found a cut in the tread that shows the belt.
When I checked their reviews on roadbikereview.com, a whole bunch
of people had the same experience. I guess these are race tires,
not training / everyday tires.

They came on the bike, and I like their ride, handling, and weight.

Any suggestions for a good ride, good handling, light weight tire
that takes 125 psi or more?

--
Rick Onanian