CycleBanter.com

-   Recumbent Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Recumbent Bicycles (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=224350)

Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_] January 7th 11 03:07 AM

Recumbent Bicycles

On 1/6/2011 2:08 PM, aka Tom Paterson wrote:
[...]
What is it about recumbent riding, anyhow?[...]

1. Comfort
2. Lower aerodynamic drag (on a bike designed for performance)
3. Demonstrates the ability of the rider to ignore derision from the
ignorant.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

[email protected] January 7th 11 03:37 AM

Recumbent Bicycles

On Jan 6, 9:07*pm, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 1/6/2011 2:08 PM, aka Tom Paterson wrote:
* [...]

What is it about recumbent riding, anyhow?[...]

1. Comfort
2. Lower aerodynamic drag (on a bike designed for performance)
3. Demonstrates the ability of the rider to ignore derision from the
ignorant.

Now Tom...
--D-y

AMuzi January 7th 11 04:25 AM

Recumbent Bicycles

$southslope.net" wrote:
On 1/6/2011 2:08 PM, aka Tom Paterson wrote:
[...]

What is it about recumbent riding, anyhow?[...]

1. Comfort
2. Lower aerodynamic drag (on a bike designed for performance)
3. Demonstrates the ability of the rider to ignore derision from the
ignorant.

Now Tom...
--D-y

he left out #4, about 0.5 Prius' worth of smugness.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_] January 7th 11 05:01 AM

Recumbent Bicycles

$southslope.net" wrote:
On 1/6/2011 2:08 PM, aka Tom Paterson wrote:
[...]

What is it about recumbent riding, anyhow?[...]
1. Comfort
2. Lower aerodynamic drag (on a bike designed for performance)
3. Demonstrates the ability of the rider to ignore derision from the
ignorant.

Now Tom...
--D-y

he left out #4, about 0.5 Prius' worth of smugness.

Not smugness, just joy at being able to ride in comfort.

Peter Clinch January 7th 11 09:05 AM

Recumbent Bicycles

Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 1/6/2011 2:08 PM, aka Tom Paterson wrote:
[...]
What is it about recumbent riding, anyhow?[...]

1. Comfort
2. Lower aerodynamic drag (on a bike designed for performance)
3. Demonstrates the ability of the rider to ignore derision from the
ignorant.

You forgot another 5 entries for "Comfort"...

I have nice saddles that fit me well on my wedgies and I don't find I
get saddle sore too badly, but the real difference for me is for my
hands, arms, shoulders and neck. Those wouldn't be problems on a bike
with a bolt-upright riding position, but with #2, lower drag in mind, I
wouldn't want to tour all day on one of those!

On the touring front (my 'bent is a tourer and that's what I use it for)
another plus is that done right a 'bent will take luggage better. On
mine (an HPVel Streetmachine GT) I can get the real weight between the
wheels and under me where the only effect on the handling is gluing me
to the road better. Banana bags (as made by Radical and now Ortlieb and
others) are bigger and easier to pack than trad panniers, and /much/
better for long items like tent poles.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Andre Jute[_2_] January 7th 11 09:24 AM

Recumbent Bicycles

On Jan 7, 9:05*am, Peter Clinch wrote:
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:

[...]

Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 * Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 * * * * * * *Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net * *http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

You ride a recumbent on public roads in the UK, Pete? Is there
something special about the area around Dundee, or are particularly
fearless? -- André Jute

somebody[_2_] January 7th 11 09:36 PM

Recumbent Bicycles

$southslope.net" wrote:
On 1/6/2011 2:08 PM, aka Tom Paterson wrote:
[...]

What is it about recumbent riding, anyhow?[...]
1. Comfort
2. Lower aerodynamic drag (on a bike designed for performance)
3. Demonstrates the ability of the rider to ignore derision from the
ignorant.

Now Tom...
--D-y

he left out #4, about 0.5 Prius' worth of smugness.

Realy, #4 should be 'Because we are better than you' and smugness is
a side effect.

Mike Causer[_3_] January 7th 11 11:26 PM

Recumbent Bicycles

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 01:24:23 -0800 (PST)
Andre Jute wrote:

You ride a recumbent on public roads in the UK, Pete? Is there
something special about the area around Dundee, or are particularly
fearless?

Works for me too. Do you see a problem with UK roads?

Mike

Peter Clinch January 8th 11 12:15 PM

Recumbent Bicycles

On 07/01/2011 09:24, Andre Jute wrote:

You ride a recumbent on public roads in the UK, Pete? Is there
something special about the area around Dundee, or are particularly
fearless?

Neither.

I don't find the 'bent any harder or more obviously risky than any
other bike. If anything it's safer because people tend to give me
more space (the oft-cited "WTF factor").

Being fearless isn't a good strategy for staying in one piece. I
know the other traffic can hurt me /badly/, so I ride in a manner
that helps ensure I don't collide with any of it. Same basic style
and road manners on a 'bent as a wedgie, except I'm more likley to
err on the side of caution when choosing between sitting in a queue
or riding past it (my urban bikes are a Brommie and a Moulton which
are both a /lot/ more maneuverable than a Streemachine, as well as
having better pilot view).

The 'bent is my touring bike, so it goes well beyond the local area.

Pete.