CycleBanter.com

-   -   Bearing adjustment, SPD pedal (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=144178)

Mike Rocket J Squirrel September 3rd 06 09:20 PM

Bearing adjustment, SPD pedal

For Back To School, I gave my purposely crummy school bike the bi-annual
once-over inspection and noticed that one of the PD-M505 pedals was
feeling pretty loose on its bearings so I took it apart. I popped off
the plastic end cover and exposed a 10mm stopnut. It was on pretty
tight, and I had to clamp the pedal in the vice and use a 10-inch socket
wrench handle to get it off.

Under the stopnut is the bearing cone that accepts a 13mm wrench -- or
it would, but all of my 13mm sockets are too fat to get in there.
Anyway, the cone turned off with a little screwdriver poking and I took
everything apart and gave it all a cleaning.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to assemble it properly. The socket
used to tighten the stopnut fills the opening so that I can't grab the
bearing cone and prevent it from over-tightening when I tighten the
stopnut. What's the trick here?

-- mike elliott, on a Labor Day weekend with (clearly) nothing better to do.

Wayne Pein September 3rd 06 10:50 PM

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

[...]

There is a special tool for the job.

You might be able to hold the cone with a very thin screwdriver, but my
attempts at that were marginal, so I broke down and bought the tool. I
figured I'll always have SPDs on multiple bikes for me and my wife, and
it would ultimately be worth it.

Wayne

Mike Rocket J Squirrel September 4th 06 01:05 AM

Wayne Pein wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Wayne -- what's the tool?

-- mike elliott

[email protected] September 4th 06 02:36 AM

Bearing adjustment, SPD pedal

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 17:05:42 -0700, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:

Wayne Pein wrote:
[...]

Dear Mike,

This page may show it:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...a l&tc=&q=&s=

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

JeffWills September 4th 06 03:22 AM

wrote:

Dear Mike,

This page may show it:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...a l&tc=&q=&s=

Specifically:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg..._id=SH-TL-PD33

Oddly, the QBP catalog on Harris' site does not show it.

Jeff

Mike Rocket J Squirrel September 4th 06 11:23 PM

JeffWills wrote:
wrote:

Dear Mike,

This page may show it:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...a l&tc=&q=&s=

Specifically:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg..._id=SH-TL-PD33

Kewl.

Oddly, the QBP catalog on Harris' site does not show it.

That's probably why I could not find it on the Harris QBP site.

Thanks!

-- mike elliott

Mike Rocket J Squirrel September 4th 06 11:39 PM

wrote:

Wayne Pein wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Carl.

-- mike elliott