CycleBanter.com

-   -   STX Derailleur on 9 speed cassette (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=19810)

Brad Kattelmann March 26th 04 08:47 PM

STX Derailleur on 9 speed cassette

I happened to acquire a Shimano LX 9 speed cassette and have gotten the
upgrade bug for my 1998 Trek 6000 mountain bike.

Here's the current rear setup on my bike:
7 speed cassette on 7 speed Freehub
Shimano Parralax hub
STX rear derailleur
7 speed shifter (Alivio or Acera, I think)

Now, as I see it, there's two options for me:

1) I can do the "8 of 9 on 7" upgrade talked about at Sheldon Brown's
site. This would require me to swap out my current shifter and
cassette, however, I could keep my freehub and avoid the redishing. For
an explanation, see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7

2) My other option is to replace the Freehub and put all of the 9 speed
cassette on. This would require me to purchase a Freehub at least, and
redish the wheel. I am wondering if my STX derailleur will have enough
reach for the 32T of the new cassette.

Either situation is going to require me to buy a new chain, but the less
I have to purchase, the happier my wife will be. I already have the
rear shifter, as my front shifter broke last year and the only shifters
I could find in a pinch were new LX shifters.

What are your suggestions and thought on these two options?
Have many folks tried the "8 of 9 on 7," and are they happy with it?

Thanks in advance,
Brad Kattelmann
http://brainfuzz.net

Sheldon Brown March 26th 04 10:14 PM

Brad Kattelmann wrote:

I happened to acquire a Shimano LX 9 speed cassette and have gotten the
upgrade bug for my 1998 Trek 6000 mountain bike.

Here's the current rear setup on my bike:
7 speed cassette on 7 speed Freehub
Shimano Parralax hub
STX rear derailleur
7 speed shifter (Alivio or Acera, I think)

Now, as I see it, there's two options for me:

1) I can do the "8 of 9 on 7" upgrade talked about at Sheldon Brown's
site. This would require me to swap out my current shifter and
cassette, however, I could keep my freehub and avoid the redishing. For
an explanation, see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7

2) My other option is to replace the Freehub and put all of the 9 speed
cassette on. This would require me to purchase a Freehub at least,

No, you don't need a new Freehub, just the Freehub _body_, about a $20 part.

and
redish the wheel. I am wondering if my STX derailleur will have enough
reach for the 32T of the new cassette.

Sure.

Either situation is going to require me to buy a new chain, but the less
I have to purchase, the happier my wife will be. I already have the
rear shifter, as my front shifter broke last year and the only shifters
I could find in a pinch were new LX shifters.

That's confusing, 'cause you say up above that you've got a 7-speed shifter.

What are your suggestions and thought on these two options?
Have many folks tried the "8 of 9 on 7," and are they happy with it?

Either of these will involve buying a 9-speed chain, so the only
difference is the Freehub body.

If money is tight, just go for option 1 in the short term, then buy the
new body when finances permit.

Sheldon "One Step At A Time" Brown
| Violence is the way stupid people |
| try to level the playing field. |
| --John Gregory Dunne |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

MSeries March 26th 04 10:34 PM

Brad Kattelmann wrote:

What are your suggestions and thought on these two options?
Have many folks tried the "8 of 9 on 7," and are they happy with it?

I am about to try this on two bikes actually it will be 8 of 9 on 6/7. I
have tried the 8 from 9 cassette on the freehub and frame for size, it fits
OK so I can't see any more problems occuring. I just need to get a cassette
and a chain. I am making a custom 13-32 cassette, I have a 11-32 just need a
13-25 to get the smaller sprockets. I am already using a 9 speed Deore XT
rear mech with a six speed cassette, I have some 9 speed levers waiting to
be fitted. Lack of funds is delaying me right now, currently I am out of
work, loads of time to ride but no money !

As me again in 2 months.

Brad Kattelmann March 26th 04 11:07 PM

STX Derailleur on 9 speed cassette

Well, I changed over the cassette and it went quite painlessly. I
haven't yet had a chance to go by the LBS, so no chain yet. The STX
derailleur has plenty of reach it would seem. I had to adjust the H
screw so it lined up with the 11t gear, but otherwise the conversion was
flawless.

I meant freehub body in my earlier post, but somehow forgot the word.

Also, in my last post, I meant, I had an extra rear shifter that I
hadn't installed. I didn't want to install a 9 speed shifter on a 7
speed cassette because of the difference in spacing. Now, I have a 9
speed shifter installed with 8 gears and the derailleur adjustment
screws limiting the shifter.

Thanks for your help,
Brad "Can't wait to use 32t on uphill" Kattelmann

Kyle.B.H March 27th 04 12:48 AM

"Brad Kattelmann" wrote in message
[...]

I'm running 8 of 9 on an old 7 speed STX freehub no problem...and with a "7
speed" STX crankset, front derailer, and rear derailer to boot! I had a few
12 tooth bottom sprockets laying around from road cassette alterations so I
used that as the bottom of an 11-32 cassette.

Kyle