CycleBanter.com

-   Mountain Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Really old bike, new v-brakes too far apart (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=83840)

(Pete Cresswell) February 27th 05 10:30 PM

Really old bike, new v-brakes too far apart

They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel can't do
their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr
--
PeteCresswell

[email protected] February 27th 05 10:55 PM

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel

can't do
their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy

solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

Did you remove the springs from their holding pin on the brake arm and
bend them farther apart by hand?

[email protected] February 27th 05 11:13 PM

Add a few brake spacers and make sure your using V brake
levers. You do the job or your LBS?

(Pete Cresswell) February 28th 05 12:02 AM

Per :
Add a few brake spacers and make sure your using V brake
levers. You do the job or your LBS?

Mea Culpa.

Brake spacers? If that means additional washers on the pads it seems like that
would make the arms go further apart instead of closer. ?
--
PeteCresswell

tcmedara February 28th 05 01:04 AM

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel
can't do their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy
solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

Take a look at the brake post. There are usually three little holes that
the end of the return spring sits in. This allows the arms to be set at
varying distances apart, usually to account for wide or narrow rims. I
suspect that might be the problem. That's what it looks like to me on the
picture anyway. Try shifting them to the next closer hole. You will have
to re-adjust the shoe alignment and cable pull.

Tom

(Pete Cresswell) February 28th 05 02:17 AM

Per tcmedara:
There are usually three little holes that
the end of the return spring sits in.

Not on this antique.

I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.
--
PeteCresswell

S o r n i February 28th 05 02:56 AM

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
Per tcmedara:
There are usually three little holes that
the end of the return spring sits in.

Not on this antique.

I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.

Wait a second. Have you tried rearranging the washers/spacers? Someone
showed me once how their orientation affects brake arm/pad placement; worth
a try before bending stuff :)

Bill "just take note of how they're on there now" S.

tcmedara February 28th 05 03:11 AM

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
Per tcmedara:
There are usually three little holes that
the end of the return spring sits in.

Not on this antique.

I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.

I understand you OP mentioned problems with the return springs. Do the
brakes work fine except for the return, i.e. pad to rim distance, cable
pull, etc?
Maybe I don't grasp the problem. Is it that the arms are too far apart to
get the pads against the rim, or is it that you can't get them far enough
apart to get space between the pad and the rim?

Tom

Mr_Kingkillaha February 28th 05 05:17 AM

(Pete Cresswell) Wrote:
They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel
can't do
their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy
solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr
--
PeteCresswell

If you had some brakes without the parallel push mechanism it would fit
alot better.

--
Mr_Kingkillaha

(Pete Cresswell) February 28th 05 06:34 AM

Per tcmedara:
Maybe I don't grasp the problem. Is it that the arms are too far apart to
get the pads against the rim, or is it that you can't get them far enough
apart to get space between the pad and the rim?

"Problem" might be too strong a word. But the arms are kind of far apart - far
enough so that the return springs don't do their job.

Nothing I'd go too far to fix - but if it turned out I was just doing something
dumb (like the three-hole option metioned earlier - that this fork lacks)...
--
PeteCresswell